April 26, 2024, 08:51:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel Moto 107 or 110

Started by Jaystn62, July 14, 2020, 05:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

Jay, just busting your chops a bit, but why do the build when you can not afford to finish, (tune), it?

Personally, if money was tight, I would have bought the parts and sat on them until I could finish it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jaystn62

I'm a rookie at Harleys as far as builds and fuel injection. I knew I had the mechanical ability. On the tune side I felt I was assured I'd be ok with a "custom" map for my Power Vision. After last couple days of what people have posted here and talking to Durwood this afternoon I feel it's better to leave it alone until I can do a complete tune. Not going into details. Just better to leave the bike alone for now. It is what it is.

kd

Quote from: Jaystn62 on September 03, 2020, 04:24:38 PM
I'm a rookie at Harleys as far as builds and fuel injection. I knew I had the mechanical ability. On the tune side I felt I was assured I'd be ok with a "custom" map for my Power Vision. After last couple days of what people have posted here and talking to Durwood this afternoon I feel it's better to leave it alone until I can do a complete tune. Not going into details. Just better to leave the bike alone for now. It is what it is.

Jay, I would say that leaving the tune out of the budget and not realizing how important it is to your engine survival are the 2 biggest mistakes seen here.  As time goes on, you become more aware of things like "custom maps" without actually tuning.  :down:  There will always be those that get lucky and it's their time and money so go for it.  For the most part, advice to do the break-in on a dyno and tune it before riding it is some of the best advice given out on this site period.  Not knowing how important it is and including it in the budget is real common. It may be no big deal and hopefully for you will turn out just fine. You will be in GOOD hands with Daren.
KD

Jaystn62

Quote from: kd on September 03, 2020, 05:30:26 PM

Jay, I would say that leaving the tune out of the budget and not realizing how important it is to your engine survival are the 2 biggest mistakes seen here.  As time goes on, you become more aware of things like "custom maps" without actually tuning.  :down:  There will always be those that get lucky and it's their time and money so go for it.  For the most part, advice to do the break-in on a dyno and tune it before riding it is some of the best advice given out on this site period.  Not knowing how important it is and including it in the budget is real common. It may be no big deal and hopefully for you will turn out just fine. You will be in GOOD hands with Daren.
I appreciate all of your advice. And believe me I am heeding it now. I have heat cycled the bike 6 times and ridden it about 60 miles. I talked to Daren this afternoon and he seemed to believe I'm ok. Other than the reversion sound from the intake bike sounds great and has used no oil so far.

PoorUB

Fair enough!

I always did my builds over the winter lay over and scheduled tunes first thing in the spring. Then later on I just street tuned myself.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jaystn62

Quote from: PoorUB on September 03, 2020, 05:47:57 PM

Fair enough!

I always did my builds over the winter lay over and scheduled tunes first thing in the spring. Then later on I just street tuned myself.
I had planned to do just cams and finish the build over the winter but circumstances changed my mind. I enjoyed it and plan to do more after this covid bs is over and can get back to making money. I'd like to do a big build on a late Dyna or twin cam Breakout some day.

Jaystn62

Just an update. I made plans with Daren to drop the bike off Saturday morning and he's going to get it in sometime next week to tune it. Talked to Ole Lady last night and decided to bite the bullet. At least try to get a little riding in before season is over. Might be a little lean on Christmas this year but oh well. I report back with the results.

jsachs1

Finishing up a 107" with KB line to line pistons. Should be to the dyno on Friday or next Monday. Had a helper inspecting the work. [attach=0] John

Tommy D

:up:

Quote from: jsachs1 on September 16, 2020, 01:56:17 PM
Finishing up a 107" with KB line to line pistons. Should be to the dyno on Friday or next Monday. Had a helper inspecting the work. [attach=0,msg1361855] John
Acts 4:12

Jaystn62

Well it's done. I pick it up tomorrow morning from Daren. Numbers are Max Torque 121.76 @3790 and Max Power 114.75 @6130. I posted dyno sheet in the dyno section. It's waiting approval. I'm pretty impressed. Thanks Durwood.

sfmichael

Quote from: Jaystn62 on September 22, 2020, 01:33:51 PM
Well it's done. I pick it up tomorrow morning from Daren. Numbers are Max Torque 121.76 @3790 and Max Power 114.75 @6130. I posted dyno sheet in the dyno section. It's waiting approval. I'm pretty impressed. Thanks Durwood.

very impressive  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Jaystn62

Quote from: sfmichael on September 22, 2020, 07:25:40 PM

TY....Being my first big bore build and first time I put one of my bikes on a dyno I'm impressed and happy it held together. I appreciate all the advice and hell everyone on this forum has given me. Now I'm ready to do another..... :teeth:

kd

Quote from: Jaystn62 on September 22, 2020, 07:33:11 PM

TY....Being my first big bore build and first time I put one of my bikes on a dyno I'm impressed and happy it held together. I appreciate all the advice and hell everyone on this forum has given me. Now I'm ready to do another..... :teeth:

Nice job. You're screwed now.    :hyst:   :bike:
KD

Jaystn62

Quote from: kd on September 22, 2020, 07:44:55 PM
Quote from: Jaystn62 on September 22, 2020, 07:33:11 PM

Nice job. You're screwed now.    :hyst:   :bike:
Haha...you so funny..... :smilep:

jsachs1

Finishing up a 107" with KB line to line pistons. Should be to the dyno on Friday or next Monday. Had a helper inspecting the work. [attach=0,msg1361855] John
Results on the 107" build. [attach=0]
Blue line 4 th gear.
Yellow line 5 th gear.
John

Jaystn62

George W

Quote from: jsachs1 on September 23, 2020, 04:27:23 PM
Results on the 107" build. [attach=0,msg1362710]
Blue line 4 th gear.
Yellow line 5 th gear.
John

Can you please list the parts used for your 107..

rhuff

Shoulda just gone 117 or 124 while you were in there.

Kidding!  It's addictive tho.... enjoy and glad you got it tuned right. 

Jaystn62

Quote from: rhuff on September 24, 2020, 10:28:30 AM
Shoulda just gone 117 or 124 while you were in there.

Kidding!  It's addictive tho.... enjoy and glad you got it tuned right.
It's a fun ride now for sure. I'd like to do a 113 or so in a Dyna or maybe a twin cam Breakout.

jsachs1

Quote from: jsachs1 on September 23, 2020, 04:27:23 PM
Results on the 107" build. [attach=0,msg1362710]
Blue line 4 th gear.
Yellow line 5 th gear.
John
KB 107" piston kit, S&S 103 cams, 58 mm t-body, My 88"-103" head castings port & valve work, D&D Fat cat wrapped baffle 2 into 1 pipe, Alto "Carbonite" Xtraplate clutch & spring. Power Vision tune.
John

kd

With that combination, I'm guessing it's the heads that are the cream rising to the top. Very nice John.  All the power where it is most likely to get used.  :up:
KD

Jaystn62

I have to admit I always ran my bikes between 2500 to 3000 just because it sounded happier. I find now I'm between 2900 to 3200 maybe 3300. Motor sounds real happy. That makes sense?

Hossamania

Quote from: Jaystn62 on September 24, 2020, 06:49:03 PM
I have to admit I always ran my bikes between 2500 to 3000 just because it sounded happier. I find now I'm between 2900 to 3200 maybe 3300. Motor sounds real happy. That makes sense?

It does make sense, different cams have different sweet spots.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

sfmichael

"KB 107" piston kit, S&S 103 cams, 58 mm t-body, My 88"-103" head castings port & valve work, D&D Fat cat wrapped baffle 2 into 1 pipe, Alto "Carbonite" Xtraplate clutch & spring. Power Vision tune."
John

HP103 or MR103?
Colorado Springs, CO.

HogMike

Quote from: Hossamania on September 24, 2020, 08:51:06 PM
Quote from: Jaystn62 on September 24, 2020, 06:49:03 PM

It does make sense, different cams have different sweet spots.

I've found the same results
Different motors, cams, heads dictate the sweet spot in the rpm range. Something you can feel.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal