Thread got me to take inventory.
Loctite red, stick Henkel, Mexico
262 Henkel, India
242 Henkel, India
271 Loctite Corp., Ontario
Legit, or knock offs?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

March 26, 2022, 12:51:28 PM #26 Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 01:03:02 PM by Ohio HD
Like I said, Henkel is a worldwide presence. Don't let unfactual comments rule your decisions.

Henkel India

Deye76

Agree Brian. All of my Loctite is a couple years old, I've been using it with no problems.

JW113

According to their website, they, in one form or another, are in 124 countries world wide. They are a German based and headquartered company.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

smoserx1

I'm seeing plenty of it on ebay.  I bought a tube of Permatex red so long ago I can't remember when and I believe it is about gone, but I bet any of the red (or orange) versions will do fine.

JSD

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 26, 2022, 09:35:29 AM
Quote from: JSD on March 25, 2022, 11:21:26 PM
Quote from: JSD on March 25, 2022, 11:06:24 PMOn e bay i was looking to stock up my Loctite and found some Cheap and it was from China so i did not buy it. 
I just went on Ebay AU and the locktite (cheap) has chinese writing on it plus it has Henkel on it what do you think? Is it made there or a knock off. Also is this the way to use Quote i may be doing it wrong.

Show me the link from Henkel. They're the manufacturer of Loctite. They may sell their products packaged for the Asian market. That doesn't mean it's a knock off.

When I worked for Ingersoll Rand I spent five months in China setting up factories for Ingersoll Rand products. The products were sold in Asia and Australia. We applied labels to the products in the language of where they were to be shipped. They weren't knock offs.
No link just seen the name

JSD

No Link on china Ebay Locktite

billbuilds

Pretty informative though he doesn't mention 262. I guess that I was wrong about where it's made. Best point might well be at 4:33.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

JW113

Regarding shelf life...

We did an internal audit and found some Loctite on the production floor that was expired, so they wrote up a CAPA. When you get a CAPA, you have to do an investigation, and impact assessment. Meaning if product was built with the expired Loctite, what's the quality risk. I tried to contact Henkel and get some data on what happens to the Loctite when it's past it's date. Like, loose 10% of it's strength per month? 20%? Or more? Or when it's one day past it's expiration, does it suddenly turn to water? Nothing. Not a peep. And I am sure that like me, many of you have ancient bottles of Loctite that still seem to work just fine. I have a bottle of red that I use on compensator nuts that has to be 5 years old, and the nuts are just as hard to break free as ever. So... I'm not buying it. I think they just want to sell more Loctite.

-JW

Ohio HD

I suspect that there is a marginal decrease in the strength after a certain length of time. I too have used Loctite when over two years old. A several years ago on a Sunday I needed some green Loctite weld sealant. I found some in a box of old junk, had to be ten years old or older. It worked fine. I was filling a void of a pressed on bearing on a shaft of a lawn mower deck. The bearing stayed in place as long as I owned the mower.

Hossamania

I figure if it doesn't come out of the tube, or comes out milky water, it's expired.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

bump

I went to a Loctite thing for company I worked for, Guy gave a talk about loctite and it.s uses. Went over the different types. He said it expired after six months after opening. I never had any go bad on me. Was a good way to get paid for 2hrs. This was about 20 years ago, may be different now.

billbuilds

Yup, I've used it way paste the expiration date too. I have a container of the pink stuff that is at least 20 years old and it looks fine.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

crock

Didn't know it expired.  :emsad:
Crock

jsachs1

Had a bud that worked for Boeing. Gave me tons of expired chemicals, including Loctite, and Kroil. All that stuff will out live me, "I guarantee it".
John

CarlosGGodfrog

Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight Thread Locker ?

JW113

No, but I just recently the "ball" on one of their ball-driver hex sockets snap off.

-JW

Dan89flstc

If the bolt that is used in this compensator is the same as an OEM bolt, you could buy an OEM bolt (it has the locking compound already on it).
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

billbuilds

Quote from: Dan89flstc on April 07, 2022, 05:29:21 AMIf the bolt that is used in this compensator is the same as an OEM bolt, you could buy an OEM bolt (it has the locking compound already on it).

I'll bet the 262, when used w/primer as Man-O-War instructions state, holds a lot better than the lock patch.

bump

Quote from: JW113 on March 29, 2022, 04:51:30 PMNo, but I just recently the "ball" on one of their ball-driver hex sockets snap off.

-JW

I have broke the ball end off of several brands of hex sockets.

FSG

Quote from: Dan89flstc on April 07, 2022, 05:29:21 AMyou could buy an OEM bolt (it has the locking compound already on it).

I always brush it off and use loctite  :SM:

kd

:agree:  I am not comfortable with the additional drag created with the dry patch interfering with properly reaching the torque spec.
KD

Deye76

The useless dry patch turns to powder that gets eliminated on installation should be trusted by all means. The attached photo shows what happens when you do. S&S backing plate screws, the one on the right was "trusted". YMMV. As o'l Clint said, "feeling lucky"?You cannot see attachments on this board. 

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Hossamania on March 26, 2022, 07:10:07 AMI didn't know that stuff was so hard to get, I've always just walked into the store and gotten it.

My Napa had it..... till they closed up last year.  :cry:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

billbuilds

It does show as an item at NAPA online however it says out of stock, at least at the local store. When I called that store to ask if they'd be getting some in I was told that they no longer stock it. Strange