April 27, 2024, 11:23:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

came across a stranded 80 superglide today

Started by 76shuvlinoff, August 15, 2009, 01:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

Was out puttin today and on the way home I came across a loaded down shovel sitting at a 4 corners. There was a fella about a 100 yards down the road headed for the next farm.
  When I caught up with him he said he was just outta gas. We were only 2 miles from my house so I told him to head back to the bike and I'd be back in two shakes.  The bike was a 80 Superglide loaded down, paint was faded, motor was clean as a whistle and she fired right up after a drink. He said he had owned her for 20 years and usually got a little more out of the reserve tank. Must be he calculates her to the last drop.  Sure ran nice when he got her running.  He tried to hand me a 5 and I refused,  I never see another shovel in my neighborhood, it was nice to shoot the breeze with another owner up close.

not a bad afternoon at all

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

NormL

Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

pappyfreebird

yeup dig that story n way ya handeld it sns

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: NormL on August 15, 2009, 05:49:06 PM
cool to stop and easy fix.

Yeah there I was all ready to see if I had any real assistance to offer and all I had to do was go get my gas can.
That's ok, it probably kept me from stickin my foot in my mouth.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

v10ole

Sure wish there were more of you out there not long ago I had a lifter come lose and bent a push rod and I counted about ten twinkies ride by and not even give me a second freaking look ass holes and ended up pushing her home about three and a half miles and it was hotter than hell not saying all twinkie riders are ass holes and that all shovel head riders are great but for the most part a shovel head owner will stop to help out..............Ole

76shuvlinoff

uuuuhhhh    Wasn't gonna admit this but I was on the TC at the time  :embarrassed:  What raised my blood pressure was here the guy was on a major road in the sun at least a mile from any house, (dressed in black of course). He said several riders stopped ..... but told him they were on the way to a benefit for another rider. I'm sure they're real generous folks at the bike wash and pig roast but no one could give this guy a hand.. WTF?   

Last night we went out on the 76 with another couple for a good long ride and dinner.  They were riding another obsolete machine, 95 RK. The evos are now as out of date as the shovels and the shovels are nearly as ol skool as the pans. Time moves on but whatever you're riding just remember to stop if you can, it might be me out there!
 - Ernest Hemingway

bump

76 Shov Where in Mich ya located? I live in southern mich where Ohio and Indiana meet. I got a 78 shovel and a buddy of mine has a 83. So there are a few of us around :wink:

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway

96flhpi

Quote from: v10ole on August 15, 2009, 09:14:15 PM
Sure wish there were more of you out there not long ago I had a lifter come lose and bent a push rod and I counted about ten twinkies ride by and not even give me a second freaking look ass holes and ended up pushing her home about three and a half miles and it was hotter than hell not saying all twinkie riders are ass holes and that all shovel head riders are great but for the most part a shovel head owner will stop to help out..............Ole

Can't tell you how many times I've pulled over and sometimes even made a U-turn to check on a twinkie on the side of the road only to have the rider pull away as I pull up.  No "I'm allright thanks" or "you need something" or nothing.

On the other hand pulled over for an old guy on a BMW.  Says "I'm fine, just resting" and we wound up chatting about the pans he used to have.  Says "I'm too old for HD's now - too many yuppies anyway."  I said "Yuppies?  You're on a BMW!"  He laughed and said "Yeah but BMW yuppies know they're yuppies.  They don't think they're bada$$"  Cool old cat.  Left thinking to myself, what could I have done for him anyway?  Know nothing about BMWs (barely know enough to keep my HD going) and all my tools are SAE.

ST40

Went on a memorial ride on Saturday and of course I had a problem. I was riding the only Shovelhead and broke a coil bracket.  I made it to a gas station right across from a bar that was a stop for the poker run we were on.   I got out my tools and got to work.  One of my friends made sure I had it under control and would be right back.  A few Honda riders offered to help and a couple other friends did stop.   The rest of the 40 or so didn't even glance over when their beer stop was over, among them some guys I have ridden with and helped in the past.      :dgust:     'nuff said.      Marty
Marty

96flhpi

Quote from: ST40 on August 17, 2009, 08:14:25 AM
among them some guys I have ridden with and helped in the past.      :dgust:     'nuff said.      Marty

And you'd probably still help them in the future too!  Course if the opportunity arouse I'd give em a not so subtle reminder how some "brothers" can't be bothered.

ST40

Yeah you're right, but I had to bite my tongue not to say something on Saturday and spoil an otherwise good ride.  After all it was a memorial ride.   Beautiful day.         Marty
Marty

RoadGlideRob

You know I think it just boils down to some folks are good and some arent.  HTT is a perfect example of the type of people who are good.  I've never posted a question here that didnt get an answer.  Usually you get more info than you can digest.  Folks on here are great and after riding and working on twinkies when I decided to take the plunge and get a basket case this was the first place I thought of to get help.

I luv riding the old shovel now and i  know whatever goes wrong with it you guys will be there to help.  too bad we cant all get together for a beer but Kalamazoo is way to far for me to ride old bike and I dont believe in trailers.

Jusbo48

I have made more friends and meet the greatest folks over the years when I have stopped to lend a hand.
Even had one ole Bro who wanted to to meet his daughter(probably should have done it, wouldnt be divorced now) lol.
Seriously though, I will always stop, just my nature I guess.