How many wait for engine light to go out before starting ???

Started by sandrooney, November 22, 2008, 01:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

It seems to start quicker on hot starts if I don't wait for the light to go out. Anyone else experience this. I think the owners book says to wait,will it hurt not to? 07 Ultra FI
Thanks,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Faast Ed

You are gonna here two opposing opinions on this string.

Personally, I wait.  I believe the ecm benefits from going thru this cycle, but I can not prove it.
≡Faast Ed>

roadglide65

It will still go through the cycle's if you start it.

I don't think you'll see the police bikes wait till the light goes off to give chase.  :teeth: 

Faast Ed

QuoteYou are gonna here two opposing opinions on this string.

Told ya so,.....       LOL
≡Faast Ed>

HV

It will start if you do not wait with out any issues .. however wile the light is on the ECM is doing " House Cleaning " resetting some things... and checking the MAP ( BARO ) Readings... and ET ....all these can make it start easier..and run cleaner for a few sec ...
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

roadglide65

Quote from: Faast Ed on November 22, 2008, 01:27:23 PM
QuoteYou are gonna here two opposing opinions on this string.

Told ya so,.....       LOL

I had to,,, trying to keep it fair and balance you know....LOL  :teeth:

ederdelyi

As far as the ECM is concerned, the motor won't start until the basic initialization sequence is complete ... but that is almost instantaneous. The speedo can be another matter, however. I usually watch the speedo needle, once it "jumps" I'll start the engine and that is usually before the engine light goes out. If you aren't in a rush it won't hurt a thing to wait. If you are, I've never had a motor issue with an instant start, but the speedo can be real "wonky" at low speeds until you shut down and restart.

"You say poetaetow, I say pahtahtoe" :>)

autoworker

04 fuel injected.
I don't watch the light.I listen for the fuel pump to stop running.That's about one second before the light goes out.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

Sonny S.

calgary56

<-- nope, don't wait, ..... turn the ignition, fire her up, kick it in gear, and off I go, the light is normally off by then :)
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

maineultraclassic

I've always waited..........gives the ECM a chance to get ready to roll.

With the DTT auto-tune system you had to wait for the light to blink twice before you start the bike, it really didn't like it if you started without waiting.

Now with the stock ECM and a SERT........I can wait a couple of seconds for the light to go off.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

mayor

November 22, 2008, 03:44:32 PM #11 Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:55:55 PM by wannabmayor
nope, the mayor waits for no light!  turn the key, hit the starter button, vroom vroom.... :smiled:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

PoorUB

Turn on the ignition and start it up! I never wait for the light to go out.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

JBarrettB

I always wait...unless I'm late for work. Four seconds can cost you your job!
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

HIPPO

03deuce

I always look in the mirror to make sure I look cool, before I hit the start button.   :smiled:

RK101

I'm never in that big of a hurry so I wait. Not that big of a deal. I'm usually putting my helmet/gloves on anyway.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

TXChop

Depends on what year the bike is and if it has a powercommander. 07 and later bikes with pciii's i dont wait, all other bikes i wait. Me personally, i just pull the choke out....hahaha

Faast Ed

05, Sandrooney said the same thing.

Any idea why it started easier using that method?
≡Faast Ed>

drgn*95

I've always found mine to start easier halfway through the fuel pump sequence.

sandrooney

Yes my 07 Ultra does start better on hot starts if I don't wait, starts quicker and with a lot less kick back. I just want to make sure it's not going to hurt anything to start it that way. I also would like to know why it starts better ?
Thanks for all the responses,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

ClassicRider2002

Simply place your curser over the "http://address / link", click, view, and read:

TOPIC: Ignition Switch On EFI Models-do you wait for light?
http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=1563.0

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Scooter Trash

Always wait. 07' Ultra, XIED, Krome Werks slip on mufflers and Big Sucker. Starts fine all the time.

cheetah

Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be

Deye76

When it's cold I wait. When it's hot I can't wait, or it will kick back, every time. :angry:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP