April 28, 2024, 07:53:05 AM

News:

TTS Tuner w/TSII/Wego

Started by Arrowsmit, November 27, 2008, 07:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrowsmit

After going thru 3-4 dyno tunes on a PCIII usb, a TMAT, dealer flashes, etc etc my bike is running much better w/the TTS than it ever has before. With just my novice efforts w/a TSII/Wego (& some help from here) every aspect of the engines performance has been dramatically enhanced; greatly improved idle quality, crisper/stronger roll-ons, faster revs, etc. The engine just doesn't seem to 'labor' like it did w/the PCIII & it runs smoother at all RPM's than w/the TMAT. All this & I'm not even finished tuning it yet...

This TTS tuner is the cats meow!! :up:

VicW.

Blackbaggr

Good to hear...I just ordered one. Been running the PC III for the last 2 years...fairly satisfied but I know it can run better.

Sonny S.

Quote from: Arrowsmit on November 27, 2008, 07:16:20 PM
After going thru 3-4 dyno tunes on a PCIII usb, a TMAT, dealer flashes, etc etc my bike is running much better w/the TTS than it ever has before. With just my novice efforts w/a TSII/Wego (& some help from here) every aspect of the engines performance has been dramatically enhanced; greatly improved idle quality, crisper/stronger roll-ons, faster revs, etc. The engine just doesn't seem to 'labor' like it did w/the PCIII & it runs smoother at all RPM's than w/the TMAT. All this & I'm not even finished tuning it yet...

This TTS tuner is the cats meow!! :up:

VicW.

Bout time.... been waiting for a dyno chart   :wink:

FLTRI

"After going thru 3-4 dyno tunes on a PCIII usb, a TMAT, dealer flashes, etc etc "

Sorry to hear you never got to a good tuner.

With all you spent, including the autotune system, you would assume the bike couldn't run any better. :dgust:

After the 3-4 PCIII tuning failures (same tuner?) AND the T-max system that is touted to eliminate tuners and dyno runs, you say your bike never ran as good as you tuning it yourself with TTS. :teeth:

Anyway, glad to hear you finally have your bike running at its best......and all without any tuning experience, special tools, dyno, etc. :up:

Maybe you have a future in tuning? :wink:
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Arrowsmit

November 28, 2008, 01:10:47 PM #4 Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:03:33 PM by Arrowsmit
Bob, I know it's not running at it's absolute best, but it certainly is way better than ever before. I don't entertain the idea that I could get it to it's full potential myself, but I do know somebody who can  :wink: & I plan to enlist his services ASAP. For now tho, this is/has been a very fun & rewarding experience for me.

BTW, there have been 3 different shops to 'dyno-tune' (I use the term VERY loosely) the bike. All three half azzed tooners seemed satisfied w/their results. I wasn't. That's why I was driven to the TMAT...like so many other places around the country, decent tuners are simply non-existant in my neighborhood. The TMAT was considerably better than any of the PCIII 'toons', but IMHO it has it's own special flukes so I finally decided to try a tuning system that utilizes the stock ECM's speed density capabilies. Thanks in large part to the readily available information from here & other forums, both the TSII/Wego & TTS are easy enuff (for even this novice) to manipulate at a satisfactory level to produce very good results.

VicW.

waskier01

I have a TTS Mastertune on one bike and a TSII+/WEGO on another and all I can tell you is, I have a lot to learn.  Learned SO much already, but, HOLY FRIJOLES.....

FLTRI

Vic,
With the TTS system if you are willing to spend the time to go through the auto-map routine a few times you can, in fact, get the AFR as close as a tuner. Timing will be a bit more of a challenge as there is no auto-tune for that.
Good job,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Arrowsmit

waskier01, how are you using the collected Wego AFR data, do you have a SERT, PCIII, etc on that bike? Hey, there are some very knowledgeable ppl here who always seem willing to help...if you're having trouble ask questions!! You can do it! :up:

Bob, unfortunately the V-Tune isn't compatible w/my '02. I'm hoping for very similar results using the TSII/Wego tho...I mean the premise is about the same, right? Anyhow, so far I'm very pleased w/the results. I still plan to get a great tune (and dyno-sheet Sonny :wink: ) ASAP tho.

VicW.

Scramjet

Vic,

It seems we are on about the same track on tuning using the TTS MasterTune.  I also gave up on getting a great tune using the PCIII in the NE Ohio area.  It ran good but not great.  The WOT peak numbers will probably not get much better but the other throttle/RPM ranges seem much better already.  I have done about 4-5 trial runs and the bike is running smoother than ever.

More tuning today to complete a full map at 40 degrees F.

Two questions maybe you could answer...

1. Are you thinking of using the TSII to comfirm AFR values from the TTS bike?  It would be interesting to see how consistant and how accurate the TTS system controls the AFR.  Or maybe a better way to frame this question is "how well do the TSII and the TTS agree on AFR at the O2 sensor location".

2. This is somewhat of a subjective question but here goes; when you self tune with the TTS and you project VE's out to the 100% MAP WOT throttle position.  How accurate is the projection if projected in a linear fashion from rows out and then reality checked going columns down?  Maybe you will only know if you try the TSII on the TTS equipped bike.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

Herko

November 30, 2008, 05:37:43 AM #9 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:43:30 AM by Herko
Scramjet,
Not Vic but I think I can shed some light on question 1:
1. Are you thinking of using the TSII to comfirm AFR values from the TTS bike?

Vic,s bike is a 2002 model ie pre Closed Loop era. He's having to use his portable sniffer to sample AFR's for the entire map.
Absent for him is the luxury of the V-Tune program to assist in the calibration phase of the tune. Not sure but I think he's calibrating (synchronizing) to 13.2 AFR. An MT6 Cal file is in use.

"how well do the TSII and the TTS agree on AFR

The Closed Loop bikes I've tuned show that the OE sensors create an AFR that's within a tenth or two of prescribed when crosschecked with the DJ sniffer.

Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Scramjet

Thanks Herko,

You are up early on a Sunday.  Care to comment on question 2?

B

Herko

Care to comment on question 2?

There's no distinct set pattern for the extrapolated (blended) VE's that I've found.
In my case I check the AFRs on the Dyno when in the Open Loop (WOT for example) areas.
But, in other Open Loop areas or unexplored V-Tune areas, I will make VE inputs based mostly on "trends" within the VE table as well as what I've known to work well on other tunes.
Different Bikes/builds have their own personality (VE trends).
Others may have a different process.

While Vic is having to work a lot harder to street-tune his all Open Loop bike, his end result will be a better street-tune in WOT areas. Obviously, this is due to the fact that he's able to "measure" the AFR's in those areas with his portable sniffer.

Arrowsmit

November 30, 2008, 06:29:53 AM #12 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:32:06 AM by Arrowsmit
Scramjet, I'm not projecting any of the adjustments, just logging data w/TSII/Wego & then using the collected data to make changes to the VE's via TTS. Here are the VE adjustments I've made on the front cyl so far:

Herko did a great job of answering the 1st question. Does this answer #2?

VicW.

waskier01

"waskier01, how are you using the collected Wego AFR data, do you have a SERT, PCIII, etc on that bike."
   SERT.  One bike is using stock headpipes and is experiencing some reversion issues.  One has rineharts and is tuning using the TSII+ like a dream.  My '06SG has been converted to closed loop and is running the TTS w/V-Tune.

"I'm hoping for very similar results using the TSII/Wego tho...I mean the premise is about the same, right?"
   The premise is nearly identical.  Set VE's, go for AFR's.  The TTS is definately easier, The TSII+ goes to 100% throttle position. The laptop for the TTS is a PITA, but so is the wires for the TSII+.

"Bob, unfortunately the V-Tune isn't compatible w/my '02."
   Or my '03 Ultra.  but there are probably some people out here that are thinking of a way around that.

waskier01

"You are up early on a Sunday."

West coast, way early.

Arrowsmit

BTW, I changed injector size (TTS engine constants tbl) from 4.35 to 4.22 to get more 'headroom' before I ever started tuning. Looks like I got plenty. :up:

VicW.

waskier01

Arrowsmit

waskier01, sounds like you gotta good handle on this. I'm still in the learning curve. FWIW, my tuning is on hold for now...we were blessed w/some unusually nice 60* temps this past week, & I got a large part of the VE's calibrated, but winter is back now w/colder temps & I'm not willing to introduce that variable into the mix.

VicW.

waskier01

Western Washington gets a couple weeks a year that's really tough cold riding. besides that, just a little rain. 

Herko

ToBeFrank

Arrowsmit, can you post your 3D graphs for your VE tables after you tuned them with the TS?

Arrowsmit

November 30, 2008, 08:41:45 AM #21 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:14:41 AM by Arrowsmit
Sure, but bear in mind that I'm not near done w/em yet. Here ya go:

VicW.

Arrowsmit

TBF, care to post yours?

VicW.

Scramjet

November 30, 2008, 01:52:19 PM #23 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:36:45 PM by Scramjet
VicW,

The 3D graphs answered my question.  It looks like projecting from 60-80 MAP out to 100 MAP in a linear fashion is not too far off.  Here are my VE 3D tables projected out to 100 MAP:

Edit: crappy 3D maps deleted.

Arrowsmit

Scramjet, your graphs didn't come out right. Here's what they look like on my computer:

VicW.