April 27, 2024, 03:04:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

million dollar question-umbella seals

Started by 08roadking, January 28, 2010, 06:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

08roadking

does it make a difference where they go?there are 2 places for themin the mid plate and the service manual doesnt specify where they go and if you have them in wrong what are the charictoristics thanks guys

08roadking

the diagram shows the seal on the outside hole but the pic of the motor in the manual with the rocker box removed shows the seals right over the head breather banjo bolts going to the air cleaner.

moosemush

They go above the breather holes in the head.

08roadking

what happends if there in wrong? i had a rocker box leak and ordered new boxes put it together last night and noticed they were in wrong so i put them in the new mid plate where they belong,

moosemush

If not installed correctly you could get excessive oil mist out the breathers. I guess if they were somehow installed as to block the breathers it could cause excessive pressure and a leak but I've never seen it. You say they were installed wrong. Were they blocking the breathers or possibly a drain hole?

08roadking

nope  the reason they were  leaking was the top cover was warped so i replaced the top and mid plate. it turned out when i put the top cover on the glass fishtank the middle was touching the glass  and not alowing the edges to smoosh the gasket.the new rocker cover layed flat all the way across the surface

moosemush

Yeah I couldn't see them causing the leak but strange things happen. You should be good to go.

08roadking

ive had 179 people look and only 1 person has replied with there oppinion..what happends if the umbrella valves are in wrong?and does it matter where they go??

elvislee

Quote from: 08roadking on January 30, 2010, 06:03:59 PM
ive had 179 people look and only 1 person has replied with there oppinion..what happends if the umbrella valves are in wrong?and does it matter where they go??

Maybe the other 178 don't know. But I hope you get an answer to your question as I would like to know too. Have you called a local Indy or maybe the dealer to see if you can get an answer?

deathwish

if you put them on the low side,opposite the breather passages and breather tower they effectivly do nothing, and you have oil venting. I posted some time back on venting the top cover and showed pictures of this. if you use my method you don't need umbrella seals or breather bolts and the problem will be gone.

looper1

I have a $10.00 question , what happens if you put umrella on both sides or all four holes ? It would still vent right ?