May 07, 2024, 01:16:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which Evo Ignition Module?

Started by Flat Dog, December 06, 2008, 12:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Dog

Which module did you use for your build? I keep leaning to a 10'5"1 compression ratio, so the generic SE module probably won't cut it since I'll have to tweak te advance curve. Should I go with the tried and true hi-4, or are there better choices available these days? Just in case...application is a 1995 80" evo with a high lift cam, dyna platform.

Thanks!!!

-John

Flat Dog

riden2low

I went with a Crane HI-4 and like it... Some people have had trouble with them. It is a very sensitive unit and I went with a crane regulator, crane HI-4 module and the crane coil. This way I made sure that by matching the electrical system there would be less problems. The Crane regulator charges your system when your battery needs charging. Not like stock that is always charging full bore all of the time. Check their web site out and it will explain it more through. Rode all Summer and no problems at all.

riden2low

Dyna is good. I have never tried Dyna but I am sure someone will on the site let you know how they like them.

Buddy WMC

Running the Dyna 2000 external module setup on single fire on mine as I like to keep the heat away from the electronics. No problems at all and still running Voes. We initially set up on curve #4 for break in, but the dyno liked curve #2 the best, so that's where we are at. No pinging at all on 93 octane @10.5 to 1 with the ported SE heads.

Flat Dog

Thanks Buddy-I think we are going to have close to the same bike, but yours will handle better.

bobrk1

Had my HI-4 go bad and it would ping becaude the brain would advance it, ride with a few guys that have no probems though, I run a daytona twin-tech, dual or single fire mulispark and you can set about 9 different advance setting also head-quarters has one theres only has 30 degrees total advance they say with a performance motor you dont need a lot, wish i bought that one would like to see any diff.

Mark222

I am running an external Dyna 2000 module on my 85 build.  Head work, decked .040, 10:1 pistons, Crane H-290-2 Cam, Miik 42 and Python III pipes.  Run 93 Octane whenever I can get it, never pings set on #4 setting if I recall.  Using the S/F mode with a Crane coil.  No problems with the ign mod in 13 years, but have replaced two coils.  Since my bike is getting older I have bought a spare coil and ign mod (same as what I am running) off ebay and carry both on trips.  Never needed either yet, but figured it is good to be prepared.

Mark

Nebraskarider1

I run an Ultima which is the very same unit as the Dyna 2000i nosecone. Dyna told me that on the phone. I havent had any problems with it in about 7k miles. It runs about 130 from Jirehcycles.com with coil and wires and rotor. Its not listed on their website. It has 4 selectable advance curves and if you buy a programming kit for about 88 bucks more you can program your own custom curve into it.

surf

Nebraska, how do you get that set up from Jireh?

lionsm13

Crane HI 4 E plug and play, right into the old stock slot. Nice and easy.

BigE1340

I like the Dyna 2000i have had it on my RevTech 100" motor for 3years and no problems.No knock and never left me stuck.Had two Crane Hi4E go bad and both times left me stuck.Crane did warranty the module ,but still a major bummer out in the middle of nowhere.....   :angry:

Flat Dog

With the 2000P module, will the stock coil work, or will I have to get a different one to use the single fire mode? If I remember correctly, single fire needs a 3 ohm coil or the module could burn out.

Buddy WMC

Ya gotta use a single fire coil to run single fire. The stock coil should work just fine with dual fire, but I'd upgrade to nothing less than an SE coil if you are staying with dual fire. I can give you a part number for a single fire coil, but you would need to double check the fitment for your Dyna. The part number I have is a direct replacement for my stock FXR coil located on the motor mount between the cylinders. I'd also go for a set of Accel 8mm carbon core wires as well while you are at it. Everything I'm running is compatible with the Dyna 2000.

Flat Dog

Got the Accel wires already...I think the regular single fire coil that fits FL style frames is the correct fit-the spare that I sold last summer, of course. The FXR coil is a different shape.

I think at 244 degrees of duration, I should be ok for now running dual fire til I can get the single all set up. Thanks again!!!

Nebraskarider1

Jireh doesn't show it on their website but when I called them they still offer it for 149.95. It is part number 53-660.

Flat Dog

Dang...is that a single fire unit?

shovelkid73

I ran the hi-4 on my shovel all last season, didn't get the evo till late. If my Hi-4 lasted in a solid mount 4 speed that gets run hard(not quite a stock motor) , I'll put it in my rubber mount evo, it should be in middle of next week.

Flat Dog

I had no hi-4 problems on my shovel ever, but did have a stock evo pick up melt on me.

Reddog74usa

December 16, 2008, 02:08:42 AM #19 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:48:39 PM by Reddog74usa
DTT makes a nice external unit. There are a lot of guys on here that can hook you up with a map you can down load if you wanted to. Heres the midwest numbers for the crane and dyna 2000i
dyna is midwest#53-644  crane is midwest#53-660
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Flat Dog

Picked up a Dyna at just over cost-thanks!!!

IN SEARCH OF

Quote from: Photo John on December 06, 2008, 12:22:18 PM
Which module did you use for your build? I keep leaning to a 10'5"1 compression ratio, so the generic SE module probably won't cut it since I'll have to tweak te advance curve. Should I go with the tried and true hi-4, or are there better choices available these days? Just in case...application is a 1995 80" evo with a high lift cam, dyna platform.

Thanks!!!

-John

IN SEARCH OF

I'm running the Dyna 2000. I think there are 7 different settings on this bad boy to help "dial in" the motor to max out put.

Blazing Saddles

Ran the Crane S-F unit on a hot 80" build for years with absolutely no problems. I used their coil and regulator as well.Had problems with the Dyna unit I originally installed. As of the past 5 years I have run a Crane on a S&S 107" motor at 9.5:1 with a .520 cam. Again, absolutely no problems. Check your coil as they can crack and cause problems. I cary a spare on long road trips just for insurance.

Blazin' 

Buddy WMC

Just for shi*s and giggles, my engine likes 35 degrees total timing set with a timing light on the dyno. Curve #2 on single fire was the best with my combo with the Dyna 2000. So far starts right up and is reliable, IMHO my dyno guy is the best there is. We know what the problems are (possibly too much duration with the cam and the exhaust system) and I'm choosing to let them slide for the moment. Waiting to see how John's 5010 works out compared to my 5015 even though his bike is heavier. Still 98.6 and 95.3 is pretty stout in my book :wink:.