May 03, 2024, 08:46:35 AM

News:

SE-211 cams

Started by buffalobill, December 08, 2008, 03:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLTRI

Wannabemayor, and all,
A couple points here:
1) That dip in your example looks more like a tuning issue. We are only seeing 1 cylinder AFR (probably front), which was probably used to make same changes to the rear cylinder as well.

2) When using tru-duals on a bagger the rear cylinder will be significantly out of tune, especially under 3000rpm. This is due to the unique rear cylinder tuning necessary to compensate for the "Y" pipe configuration.

3) The high compression comparison graph you offer appears to have the signature bagger D&D Fatcat 2into1 3000-3500rpm dip, negating a good comparison. :wink:

4) The SE211 cams are a midrange+ cam profile so low end torque is not expected to be great.

5) We always offered the SE203-204 in lieu of SE211s but once folks heard the 211s on their buddies bike compared to the 203-4s they opted for the 211s, and were happy with results. :smilep:

6) We never recommended these cams with tru-duals as that makes it a double downer for low end power. Most all were with the stock "Y" pipe 2into1 and quality slipons, modified Thunderheaders, modified Propipes, or Supermegs with 10-12 discs w/closed end caps.

7) SE251s do not have the same idle sound as the 211s so did no stock compression 251s.

8) There is no argument that increasing compression wakes these cams up down low. And some customers came back later, when they had the money to increase compression, which put smile on their face....again. :up:

I'm not defending 211s for 88"-95" low compression, heavy bike applications, but once some customer heard a bike with 211s, that's what he/she wanted.

I'm just reporting my experience as a tuner who also worked for the MOCO and dealt with customers and their likes/dislikes and can say I never had a customer complain about 211 cams with flatheads.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

mayor

Bob, I agree with all of your points.  Keep in mind my opinion was just that- my opinion.  I wasn't trying to discount your opinion or your experience.  Believe me, your feedback is greetly appreciated.   Those two charts I posted just happened to be in the same thread on the old site, and I would agree that that comparison is not overly scientific.  I think there were only 5 or 6 cams available for the TC from the SE catalog when you was at the dealer based on the years you were there (not that there are a huge amount now), so that could explain the customers making the jump from SE203-204 to SE211's.  The point I was trying to make about the 211's was, if it's a new 95" build and piston's haven't been ordered yet- go with the hi-comps. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

FLTRI

Wanna,
"....if it's a new 95" build and piston's haven't been ordered yet- go with the hi-comps."
Good point! As I recall most of the 211s went into 88" motors and we were skitish in the early days with dome tops in heavy bikes with possible detonation and we really didn't have a good handle on how these cams with domes would work with loaded touring bikes. Remember all we had to begine with was downloads that didn't work very well and PowerCommanders that restricted the amount of retard (10deg) we could get.
Bob
PS - Thanks for the vote of confidence. :smile:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open