May 05, 2024, 08:10:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

nyc just got WORSE

Started by shovelbill, December 11, 2008, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultrashovel

You'd have to be pretty brave to ride a bike through downtown NYC anyway. It's almost the worst traffic in the US other than California.

The point is, don't sell your stock mufflers. You may be needing them.

Kansas

December 12, 2008, 09:55:59 AM #26 Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:35:59 AM by Kansas
Last time I was in NYC my daughter picked me up at La Guardia.  We were heading towards New Jersey when a fully patched jockey shifting Harley rider came screaming on to the highway at full throttle. He blasted to the next exit and made as much noise as he possibly could backing off.  I guess he was showing everybody what a tough outlaw biker he was.  With the racket bouncing off the buildings and the walls around the road it was the single loudest Harley I have ever witnessed. Getting noticed in NYC isn't easy but you couldn't miss this guy.  It's guys like him that screw it up for all of us.

Flat Dog

Funny, but my experience has been that it's usually the yuptards that love to rap the crap out of their throttle just to hear the noize of their rolling penis.

Personally I would much rather enjoy the sound of a Harley running at full throttle next to me than a stupid stoned white kid blasting 'kill whitey' on his ghetto bumper stereo system.

Scurvy

QuoteIt's guys like him that screw it up for all of us.
Quotemaking life miserable for others...
QuoteThat ridiculous "loud pipes save lives" logic is what will get us all riding Vespas

Sure wish people wouldn't speak for me all the time...
anyways, this is the same story I've heard for 35 years now. There are just a lot more whiners now I guess. The amount of harrassment I get nowadays is way less than I got in the old days, I hope it's because I'm a little wiser? I'll always ride a carb'd twin that I've modified, and will always get a big grin when someone with a hot setup isn't afraid to blow by me on the Interstate, and there will never be nothing like the sound of 10,000 harleys in one place.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Bulit

In the past few weeks, I have read a few articles about loud M/C's, such as MB, a few other places and now NYC. In each article, they always quoted someone who made a remark about their bike having loud pipes and how it is the only safe way to ride. Sounds like these people are giving ammo to the people creating these laws.

Flat Dog

Revving my loud pipes has saved me from getting run over many times, and I have been run over twice when I had quiet pipes. I thought I lived in America where illegal search and seizure were unconstitutional.

Guess loud noises are treasonous these days, now that doctors and lawyers own quiet Harleys...

byoodah

Scurvy (post #28)   you hit a few nails on the head  :up: :beer:
byoodah
Here's to the ones serving to keep me free, and to them no longer here with me.

Fxstchewy

NYC..........says it all.  :dgust:
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

boooby1744

Quote from: tireater on December 11, 2008, 08:12:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of New York and it's sodomizing cops...Cali. cops won't butt rape you for weed.... :cry:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081210/ap_on_re_us/police_assault
do you believe everything you read?

boooby1744

Quote from: Kansas on December 12, 2008, 02:57:03 AM
I agree that this ridiculous infatuation with loud motorcycles is making us the next victim of the pc bunch and our neighbors ire.  I, for one, am sick of loud Harleys and my new 2009 Softy Deluxe will be left bone stock as far as the pipes go.  NYC is no place to be on a mc anyway, but that's another story.
I've been riding in the city for 32 years.I'm sure when you think nyc,you think Manhattan.Yes,it's not a great place to ride(unless it's before 1030am on a sunday)but i'm sure there are a lot of other places in the u.s thatare just as harsh.I'll keep ridin'

Evo160K

Would this proposed ordinance apply to Out-of-State bikes visiting the city?  We were planning to visit after the next Rolling Thunder ride to DC.

RK101

They've been complaining about loud motorcycles for years, and many of us did nothing about how loud the bikes were and where they decided to rev them up. As long as they got noticed that's all that mattered to them. They didn't care what others thought of the noise, so why would they care what we think about the lack of it. The lame excuse of loud pipes save lives is bull. There's a big difference between loud pipes and pipes that can be heard at a reasonable distance.  Loud pipes have p***ed more people off than they ever saved lives, and to prove it many local govt's are acting out on it.
So is anybody really all that surprised that it has come down to this?????  I'm not, I'm surprised it has taken this long to be honest.  I don't have stock mufflers, but I've never heard one person say they were to loud.  Don't sell those stock mufflers, The day is going to come where we're all going to need them again, Even me because once they start, to quiet will not be quiet enough for some. For years motorcycles have been trying to sound like Harley's. Before to long  Harley's are going to have to sound like Goldwings.
Won't riding be so much fun after we've forced them to come down on us.  :emsad:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

MBSKEAM

so what if one of these are parked at the curb? ? ? ? ......hhhhhmmmmm

NONE OF THESE HAVE A TAG ON THE MUFFLER  are they going to F with these bikes also?, most of the cops and I would bet that the 3 hundred pound webble wobble meter maid surley dont know, and at to other city workers.... yea right

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

panz4ever

A quick read of the ordinance refers to bikes produced after 1982. Also says the bike must be parked or standing. Sounds like a good reason to keep my old pans and shovel and to avoid NYC

MikeL

It has nothing to do with noise or the quality of life. The politicians can give a rats ass for your well being. It's a ploy for the city to collect  revenue. NYC is such a joke it's so corrupt it makes me sick. Their trying to tax and fine anything they can think of. Imagine this they want to put tolls on the inner city bridges which are free now can you imagine the traffic? it's a joke. I used to go to NYC a lot no more. You make 1 little mistake like let the parking meter run out and the vulture traffic cops are waiting to hit you with a $90.00+ parking ticket.

MIKE 

fuzznut5197

Quoteso what if one of these are parked at the curb? ? ? ? ......hhhhhmmmmm

Would you park any one of those bikes in NYC and leave it?  :smileo:

MBSKEAM

well...no I wouldn't, but thats not the point....LOL

how many people would know a 81 from a 92. unless ya run the plates or vin...
AND NOT US ....
REVENUE...TADA

MBSKEAM
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

Flat Dog

I'm just glad I live in Florida where almost everyone is already deaf and blind...

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Photo John on December 12, 2008, 12:52:53 PM
Revving my loud pipes has saved me from getting run over many times, and I have been run over twice when I had quiet pipes. I thought I lived in America where illegal search and seizure were unconstitutional.

Guess loud noises are treasonous these days, now that doctors and lawyers own quiet Harleys...

An air horn will do the same thing and you don't have to losten to it all of the time.

FastFLSTF

Quote from: Ultrashovel on December 13, 2008, 01:54:22 PM
An air horn will do the same thing and you don't have to listen to it all of the time.

That's kinda what I was thinking.   Every bike I've ever owned had a horn on it.  I would think defensive driving, avoidance maneuvers, brakes, and the horn would be a better ways to avoid an accident, rather than gunning it to make more noise.   :dgust:

shovelbill

this is the body of an e-mail i got the other day. this "Potty mouth" is not about the noise but a direct attack on our rights. imagine what would happen if they decided to "pull over" all cadillacs or lincolns one day.

Please all read below and DO something (call or show up at the hearing). This is an affront not only
to us bikers but to ALL people. We as bikers cherish our personal freedoms, as stated in the US Constitution, more then most but every little chip away at our freedom hurts ALL Americans.

MESSAGE FROM JIM BARR: NEW PRESIDANT OF LONG ISLAND ABATE

Fellow Riders,

Attached is the Public Safety Committee agenda for the Public Safety Committee of the Suffolk County Legislature. Introductory Resolution # 2191 is intended to accept $25,500. from New York State to fund the improper MOTORCYCLE ONLY "safety" stops. That means that EVERY motorcycle that is traveling on the road will have to exit and enter a "safety inspection" just like commercial trucks are subjected to.The public hearing will be held this Thursday, 12/11/08 at 9:30am in the Legislative Building on Vets Hwy in Hauppauge. We need as many people as possible to attend and speak against this bill. The Chairman of the Committee, Legislator Jack Eddington, is a member of ABATE and is completely against this bill. But he needs us to lobby the other Legislators of the committee.  I spoke with Legislator Losquadro and he committed to me that he will vote against it also.  But that still leaves 4 votes against us.  Please call the following Legislators and tell them that you are against it because it unfairly targets motorcyclists, It's discriminatory, it profiles us and there is no probable cause to detour us. Their phone numbers are; Leg Browning 852-1300, Leg Horsley 854-1100, Leg Nowick 854-3900, Leg Gregory 854-1111.  It would also be nice if you call our 2 supporters and thank them for their support; Leg Eddington 854-1400 and Leg Losquardo 854-1600. Please try to come to the committee meeting Thursday if you can.  If you have any questions, call me at 495-5485.

Little Al Panzella
New York City HOG
Activities Officer, Historian, Road Captain, Tail-Gunner
3 time Iron Butt Association Award Recipient-2005
MSU MotorMan Certificate-2007 & Advanced-2008
al@emdinc.net
347-244-9969

www.nychog.net

build it, bust it.....figure out why

shovelmonster76

When that old lady pulls out in front of you and then sees you coming ,but is already blocking your lane you honk your horn and give her a pissed off look? I run drags on my shov and this happened to me last month. I had to run off the road to miss her and I promise you I wanted to do more than blow her f%#$^ widows out. :angry: :angry:
Watch out for those Alligators

96flhpi

Quote from: shovelbill on December 13, 2008, 04:12:16 PM
this is the body of an e-mail i got the other day. this "Potty mouth" is not about the noise but a direct attack on our rights. imagine what would happen if they decided to "pull over" all cadillacs or lincolns one day.

I was thinking the same thing, Shovelbill.  Will the EPA be testing the many import cars with the kazoo mufflers I hear?  Many of them are louder than my scoot.  How about city buses, that are not only loud but must be emissions exempt judging by the black smoke pouring out of a lot of them?

My scoot's an '82 so I'd probably be grandfathered in, if not it ain't all that loud to begin with, and I don't ride in NYC that often anyway, but what's next?

FastFLSTF

December 15, 2008, 01:59:28 AM #48 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:36:29 AM by FastFLSTF²
Quote from: shovelmonster76 on December 14, 2008, 06:40:19 PM
When that old lady pulls out in front of you and then sees you coming ,but is already blocking your lane you honk your horn and give her a pissed off look? I run drags on my shov and this happened to me last month. I had to run off the road to miss her and I promise you I wanted to do more than blow her f%#$^ widows out. :angry: :angry:

I'm sorry, but if this story is related in front of a panel of government folks deciding whether or not to vote for this bill, you'll lose.  You just proved that the "loud pipes save lives" argument is bogus, in that you ALREADY "run drags on my Shovel" and the old lady pulled out in front of you anyway.  What's louder?  No exhaust, just run straight out of the exhaust port?  A siren?  In fact, old people and other idiots pull out in front of emergency vehicles running code every day, and not only are they loud; they have flashing lights.  So voters are going to roll their eyes, and vote along legal lines that their constituents demand.

Also, wondering "what's next, pulling over Cadillacs" probably isn't a helpful argument.  Unless the Cadillac driver is breaking a law which has been on the books for quite some time (noise laws and modified exhaust EPA laws) they're probably okay.

Look, I ride modified bikes and it will kill what I enjoy.  But we have to find a better argument, and those "rugged individualists" who demand straight pipes are going to have us all running stock exhaust if they don't reign themselves in a bit. 

fatboydan

Maybe we should take ole Clints approach:

Why Clint Eastwood thinks America is full of babies
BY LARRY McSHANE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, December 13th 2008, 9:23 PM

Rodriguez/Getty

Clint Eastwood says America has gotten soft.
Tough guy Clint Eastwood believes America is getting soft around the middle - and the iconic Oscar winner thinks he knows when the problem began.

"Maybe when people started asking about the meaning of life," Eastwood, 78, growls in the January issue of Esquire.

The actor/director recalls the deeper questions were rarely posed during his Depression-era California childhood - and says that wasn't a bad thing.

"People barely got by," Eastwood recounts. "People were tougher then."

Eastwood, whose on-screen tough guys included Dirty Harry and gun-for-hire William Munny in "Unforgiven," was a fighter at a young age.

"I was a shy kid," he says. "But a lot of my childhood was spent punching the bullies out."

That mentality is gone, he laments.

"Everyone's become used to saying, 'Well, how do we handle it psychologically?'" Eastwood says. "In those days, you punched the bully back and duked it out."

When not overanalyzing things, 21st century America spends too much time worrying about ... everything.

"You can't stop everything from happening," Eastwood says. "But we've gotten to a point where we're certainly trying. If a car doesn't have 400 air bags in it, then it's no good."

The somewhat-grumpy-old man doesn't quite grasp the concept of body piercing. "What kind of masochism is that?" he wonders. "Is it to show you can take it?"

The "Dirty Harry" star has good things to say about life as a senior citizen: He likes kids a lot more, has less self-doubt and doesn't sweat the small stuff.

"What can they do to you after you get in your 70s?" he asks.

If you can't read this,you're Illiterate