News:

nyc just got WORSE

Started by shovelbill, December 11, 2008, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelbill

build it, bust it.....figure out why

Lew

truly a serious problem..........
Only for clowns that have nothing better to do than worry.
FBS 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Skullfork

It gives police "an extra tool to get at what is truly a serious problem," said Councilman Alan Gerson.

What a friggin' idiot!!

tireater

I'm not a big fan of New York and it's sodomizing cops...Cali. cops won't butt rape you for weed.... :cry:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081210/ap_on_re_us/police_assault
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

coolingfin

December 11, 2008, 08:15:30 PM #4 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:21:40 PM by coolingfin
When auto emissions testing went into effect, a lot of people who had nicely modified cars suddenly had race-only cars that had little market value.  This sort of thing could easily happen to bikes too, maybe even nationwide. :emsad:
The AMA has recently gone through some turmoil and the new guys in charge say lobbying and legislation is going to be a higher priority... it might be a good time to join or renew.  An effective political presence is the only way to have a say in what happens.  Unfortunately, motorcyclists have been historically ineffective at protecting themselves politically.  I hope that changes.

Panzer

Typical NY city.The city controllers (and that's what they are) in plain words are a bitch.
Pretty steep fines.   I won't even drive a car there let alone a bike.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

04glide

Well I'll add that city to my list of DO NOT RIDE THROUGH. Hell I have one here just 10 miles away that is on my list.

shovelmonster76

These guys have it all figured out. The mean loud bikers might scare off the crack dealers. :crook:
Watch out for those Alligators

FastFLSTF

Notice that the only pro-motorcylce quote in the article was "it's dangerous to ride with pipes that are too low."  That ridiculous "loud pipes save lives" logic is what will get us all riding Vespas.  It might play at an ABATE rally where folks are drinkin' beer and yelling "show us the goods!" at any chick walking by, but it doesn't play in the community that matters (those that vote and make laws) and makes us all sound like dopes.

Kansas

I agree that this ridiculous infatuation with loud motorcycles is making us the next victim of the pc bunch and our neighbors ire.  I, for one, am sick of loud Harleys and my new 2009 Softy Deluxe will be left bone stock as far as the pipes go.  NYC is no place to be on a mc anyway, but that's another story.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

In my opinion this is just another way "our elected officials" demonstrate that they are "working"!! Nothing more nothing less. A free paycheck for looking and acting busy!!
They as with almost all other cities and towns across America spend there time legislating the small lying fruit that very few will argue with. They know that most people who ride are to busy working to support there families and way of life to be able to fight such stupid and I mean stupid legislation.

If they had a clue they would be going after the real isses that affect the common person and not loud motorcycles that in the northern part of the country anyway, only are ridden for ~ 6 months out of a year.

I have to ask is it really that bad to hear a loud sound for a few seconds once in a while? Or does it interfere with there cell call with there windows up and the AC on?

I dont get it??

As said why dont they go after the real crime??????? Because they want the money$$$$ that the working stiff knows he/she will have to cough up when they get the fine. The crack dealer pays no fine gets public payed legal help and goes to jail on our dime!!!

Revolution is comming.......................................... :angry:

How many more laws that take away freedoms and personal liberties will be past so that those who pass them do NOT have to comply???

KGHOST

Member since 2004

Flat Dog

December 12, 2008, 04:20:04 AM #11 Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 04:21:38 AM by Photo John
So it's ok for Habib and his 5000000000000000 cab driving cousins to blare their horns at 130dB, but not a motorcycle exhaust?
ridiculous infatuation with loud motorcycles

WTF? You are kidding, right?

Ratfade

Here's my theory: when things get out of control, governments react by controlling things that can be controlled, whether they matter or not. Have you ever noticed that cities where the leading cause of death is gunfire have the most restrictive legislation on smoking in public? It creates the impression that government is "doing something". As society continues to break down, I think we can expect more of this kind of nonsense.

Ape_do

Good one, Photo John.

I've been done w/NYC and every other major city for some years now. In fact, this sort of BS is why I left a high-paying job in Atlanta, and went into semi-retirement here in SC. Land is still affordable here, the weather is good year-round, not much traffic & wonderful back roads for riding. I assume cops are crooked everywhere, but the last thing they care about are loud pipes out here in the country. The stupider the world gets, the deeper into the woods I go!

jsachs1

Damn !!!!!!!!!!!!
Next thing,they'll have a BS law,like was recently passed in Florida: License tags MUST BE MOUNTED HORIZONTALY !!!!!!!!!  :angry: Big fines.
John

coolingfin

December 12, 2008, 05:50:48 AM #15 Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 05:58:26 AM by coolingfin
So I have to put super restrictive mufflers on my bike but I can't put any muffler on my gun...
Loud pipes (and all guns) can save lives!

coolingfin

December 12, 2008, 05:54:43 AM #16 Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 05:56:29 AM by coolingfin
Quote from: jsachs1 on December 12, 2008, 05:47:22 AM
in Florida: License tags MUST BE MOUNTED HORIZONTALY

If I'm in court on that, maybe I should ask the judge to look at the law books on his bench and then ask him if he can still read the book titles even though they're printed vertically on the book spines.   ;D

marc

I agree that this ridiculous infatuation with loud motorcycles is making us the next victim of the pc bunch and our neighbors ire.  I, for one, am sick of loud Harleys

I couldn't agree with you more...I don't have stock pipes but my slip-on's passed state inspection last year...A little rumble is nice but these guys/gals with the drag pipes and/or pipes without baffles are making life miserable for others...It is a two way street...JMHO...

Deye76

In my neck of the woods drag pipes are on shovels etc., which are now maybe 5% of the bikes on the road. However, you gather 200 H-D's for a toy run or Veterans run (gathering in large numbers will be next) and yea it's loud, even with stock pipes. Loud bikes are not unique to H-D's, but we gather in larger numbers, more-so than owners of other brands. If you want to kill the rest of the aftermarket industry, set idly by and let them go after any pipe not OEM. Even a ST is loud when putting the bike through it's paces. AMA and Abate are good orginizations to join.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

fxstdavew

You know I've been around bikes my whole life I don't ever remember drag pipes being legal,but strangely enough there has never been a shortage of bikes with them. In the 60-70's you might get hassled a little, but than it became vogue to ride your loud Harley. Now that the party is over(good riddens) We're going to go back to dealing with this nonsense. These noise laws aren't anything new just a different spin to it. Yes there needs to be a back lash to fight this, but if you don't ride like you are a tool, purposely drawing attention to yourself you may never have a problem. Dave
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

98roadking

I usually go on two group rides a years with friends and friends of friends. All bikes welcome, Harleys, wingers, beemers and yamaharleys. The loudest bikes in the groups are the yamaharleys, but the average Joe can't tell them apart from real Harleys.

coolingfin

Quote from: fxstdavew on December 12, 2008, 06:53:11 AM
but if you don't ride like you are a tool, purposely drawing attention to yourself you may never have a problem. Dave

It does come down to that in a lot of jurisdictions... some guys are just asking for it... revin' the hell out of their bikes for no reason other than to make a lot of noise...and the more people are lookin' the louder they act... that 'ain't helping anyone by their own ego... a little discretion would go a long way toward avoiding over regulation...

96flhpi

Funny that a city so concerned with traffic congestion would be discouraging M/C riding.  They were recently discussing charging a toll to go below 60th street in Manhattan - only to reduce congestion of course, nothing to do with revenues :wink:.  BTW, the Mayor just overturned the two term limit that was voted in by the public not once, but twice.  Guess who's already served two terms and would like to run again.

I live about an hour north of the city, and even with my aftermarket pipes could probably pass the inspection, but I guess me and my buds won't be heading to City Island for seafood any more.

FLH

Alright, kick me in the azz, but I gotta say, did you notce the big D next to all their names?? There ya go.
Bet they do nothing about all the rice burnin low riders with the fart can exhausts and the speakers thumpin out base that makes the bottom of your feet tingle. They hate middle age white guys on Harleys plain and simple.

It's just gettin started. Wake me up when the revolution starts.

marc

These noise laws aren't anything new just a different spin to it. Yes there needs to be a back lash to fight this, but if you don't ride like you are a tool, purposely drawing attention to yourself you may never have a problem. Dave

Exactly...To many tool's out there...