May 09, 2024, 10:09:41 AM

News:

Need some insight from experienced riders

Started by 2011FXDC, March 24, 2012, 05:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2011FXDC

I have been riding for about 15 years off and on and have been through two MSF courses. First was several years ago and then again last year to support the wife during her first class. Our (police) drivers training already taught me about looking where you want to go, which is huge. I always try to improve my riding and work on taking hard bends outside/inside/outside. I don't ride very aggressively and really focus on being smooth but I do push it sometimes. I consider myself a decent rider but something happened the other day that caught me off guard.

On a back country road, I was taking a hard 90 degree right hander and started scraping the peg which is nothing new. Then it felt like the peg kind of dug in and the rear tire lifted a little. It squirmed a bit and fortunately I didn't panic and pulled right through it. So what did I do wrong, take the bend too fast ? Maybe I pushed the limits of my Dyna too far..?  I recently changed my pegs back from chrome Harley pegs to the stock rubber ones. The chrome pegs were worn pretty good from scraping and I'm wondering if the rubber ones just dig in more instead of scraping.

Thanks for any advice or ideas.. I'm always ready to learn.     

Grumpy : (

The peg might have caught a seam in the street, something to watch for.  Good you rode through it.

You did probably lean a bit further than needed and that caused the problem.  I do the same thing sometimes, but floorboards are way more forgiving.  They slide or fold up rather than catch.

Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

NETacomaFatboy

you may not have done anything wrong.  It happens when one scrapes.   I would shoot to scrape at slightly faster corners and not tight/slow corners...

Evo160K

Do you think the bolt/nut holding the peg on should be loosened a bit to allow the peg to lift up like the platforms?

bigal51

If your smooth, Ya don't need to be fast!! :wink:

Dennis The Menace

Quote from: Evo160K on March 24, 2012, 06:07:24 PM
Do you think the bolt/nut holding the peg on should be loosened a bit to allow the peg to lift up like the platforms?

If it doesnt lift up fairly easily, its too tight, IMO.

Leaning is not all thats involved in a turn.  Steering the bike can have a big impact too, and it just takes a lot of miles to know when to apply the right balance.  If you are scraping the pegs in a tight 90 degree, need a bit less lean and a bit more steering.

If you took the advanced riders course, you probably worked on both.  Remember the exercise to use the lock to lock turning of the bike, and keeping it more upright.  How tight was that turn?  Bet is was much tighter than the one you took.  But, of course, that was a low speed turn.  But, it was there to reinforce using the steering capability of the bike, as well as just leaning, to make a tight turn.

I do a 90 pretty tight when I pull into my housing area.  Its at about 20-25 MPH, and I try to lean as far without touching the board, and making it as right angle as I can.  I also use a lot of steering with the lean.  Its good practice, and I can make that turn in about a 12 foot box, without scraping, at 20 MPH.

So, just keep riding and learning the bike, which is practice!!!  Fun!

Coyote

It may help you to read this in it's entirety but this page is particularly useful, IMO.

http://genjac.com/BoomerBiker/Gravity.htm

A few years ago, I thought it was cool to be able to lean the bike and scrape the boards.... I thought that was pretty skilled riding. Since then, I've found that I almost never scrape the boards (at least not violently) and yet I can make even tighter high speed turns now than I ever did back then. I'm convinced that taking time to study the physics of a motorcycle has helped me in that regard. And the physics of a heavy Harley is not the same as that of a sport bike.

Weight shifting away from the turn and heavy counter steering are much more effective IMO.

I was riding a few months back with two guys on a very twisty road off the coast. The guy leading was on a BMW R1200RT, I was middle on my '11 Road Glide and the last guy was on a '11 Ultra. They guy on the BMW expected to lose us both but he never could lose me. The guy on the ultra was left behind, way behind. When we connected at the next turn, the guy on the ultra couldn't figure out how I kept up. He said he was scraping on every curve. I never scraped once.

He was leaning the bike with his weight. I was staying upright and counter steering the bike which allowed me to be fast over and fast up from the curves.

I'm not expert and there are plenty of guys that can out ride me I'm sure. JMO

2011FXDC

Thank you all ! I really appreciate the advice.

2011FXDC

There are pretty tight and don't fold easily. I'm going to loosen them up a bit today.

HogBag

If you put a good set of fork springs on the bike with a 12 weight oil the pegs won't touch on most corners.

Ken R

One of the techniques I learned as an advanced MSF RiderCoach was to shift my weight to the low side of the motorcycle.  Also to lean forward, face near the low side handle bar.   This allows the motorcycle to stay just a little more upright while carving a curve. The explanation our instructors gave was that if a rider comes into a curve too hot, the weight shift and forward lean can be used if you find yourself going a little too fast in a curve.   He also said that it's more effective on a lighter motorcycle or crotch rocket than a Harley Ultra Limited.  (makes sense). 

I don't have the confidence that some riders have on twisty roads.  I tend to slow more than necessary before curve entry and then accelerate through and out of the curve as I see the end.  I'll often loose 50 yards in a long curve to a really good rider on a similar motor; but can usually make it up before the next curve. 

I'd rather be smoother without the accelerations/decelerations; but just can't bring myself to come into a curve hot.

The consequences of failure are catastrophic. 

Ken

Maddog

an i thought i was the only one who dragged pegs on a Dyna    :scoot:

kik

Quote from: 2011FXDC on March 25, 2012, 02:54:45 AM
There are pretty tight and don't fold easily. I'm going to loosen them up a bit today.

Quote from: Maddog on March 25, 2012, 08:08:01 AM
an i thought i was the only one who dragged pegs on a Dyna    :scoot:

My Question to both of you guys is if you wanted to drag knee, why didn't you buy bike that were meant to be driventhat way? My suggestion is to relocate or raise the pegs so they don't drag.
Sorry this is a sore spot for me. I've seen too many of my friends go down because they were screwing around scrapping pegs. It's cool until just as FM found out, the peg catches. He got lucky andwas able to maintain, orhters not so lucky. Most of the time if that peg catches hard and lifts the rear tire, the tire bounces back down causing the bike to high side and flip. Ok done with my little rant.

Breeze

Quote from: 2011FXDC on March 24, 2012, 05:03:38 PM
  I recently changed my pegs back from chrome Harley pegs to the stock rubber ones. The chrome pegs were worn pretty good from scraping and I'm wondering if the rubber ones just dig in more instead of scraping.

My stock rubber Dyna pegs are about 1" shorter than my chrome pegs. I can easily drag the chrome pegs, the stock ones are harder to scrape. My muffler hits on the right before my stock peg will  scrape.  Look for scrapes on the R. underside of your mufflers.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

PoorUB

Quote from: Coyote on March 24, 2012, 10:09:58 PM

He was leaning the bike with his weight. I was staying upright and counter steering the bike which allowed me to be fast over and fast up from the curves.

I'm not expert and there are plenty of guys that can out ride me I'm sure. JMO

I was following a friend through the Big Horn mountains last year and we came up behind two slow cars. The first one pulled over and let us pass, the second held his ground. My buddy, riding lead, finally had enough and pulled out on a short straight right before a corner, I followed. My buddy was grinding his foot boards all the way through the corner and I never touched, even though I entered the corner probably 10 MPH faster than him. I was braking hard, slamming the bike into the corner, riding two up, (he was by himself). He could not believe I was gaining on him hard in the corner while he was doing all he could do.

I know there are riders that can make me look sick, but there are plenty I can out ride !

I had a rider saddle up the same time as us going up Beartooth pass once. He was riding a CVO RK. He asked if he could go first as he, and I quote, "ride the corners pretty hard" and he was concerned about us holding him back. I told him he could, but I doubt I would hold him up. About 3-4 corners up the pass my wife is going  :wtf: who is this guy?! One or two more corners later I blew by him, riding two up on an Ultra, packed for a week, and never saw him again once he faded from my rear view mirriors.

Coyote, I would like to ride with you sometime, maybe we will get out your way and hook up sometime. You could probably smoke me, either that or we are both talking smack! :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Twolane

It would be nice if that genjac site was readable. Unfortunately, the text stretches entirely across the screen and you can't resize the text to make it readable without scrolling. It would be impossible to read on a phone or an ipad.

Pilgrim

Quote from: Ken R on March 25, 2012, 07:23:15 AM
One of the techniques I learned as an advanced MSF RiderCoach was to shift my weight to the low side of the motorcycle.  Also to lean forward, face near the low side handle bar.   This allows the motorcycle to stay just a little more upright while carving a curve. The explanation our instructors gave was that if a rider comes into a curve too hot, the weight shift and forward lean can be used if you find yourself going a little too fast in a curve.   He also said that it's more effective on a lighter motorcycle or crotch rocket than a Harley Ultra Limited.  (makes sense). 

Ken

We called that "kissing the mirror" (ktm) when I learned it.  The technique does not call for hanging off the low side, like some guys do, but just getting a good weight shift in and forward. Properly done, you can get by with very little lean. 

In an airplane, if you want to go up (bear with me, pilots; I'm simplifying, here) you pull back on the stick.  You will feel resistance to the pull because the airplane wants to fly straight an level and you are overriding that inclination, but as long as you want to go up you keep pressure on the stick unless you adjust the "trim."  That adjustment moves the control surfaces into a climb position and takes the pressure out.  You can let go and the airplane will continue to climb. When you want to go straight and level, you adjust the trim for that, etc.

The same thing, more or less, works for turning a bike.  The bike wants to run straight and true (we hope) and when you use the bars to turn you are forcing it to do something it doesn't want to, so it fights back.  You wind up with continuous steering corrections, so that the smooth curve you want to cut turns into a series of scalloped mini-turns.

So, instead of forcing the bike to keep doing something it doesn't want to do, initiate the turn with some countersteer and then adjust your weight to "trim out" the pressure you have to hold on the handlebars to stay in the turn -- you'll be amazed the first time you do it.  Set up the turn, pay attention to what the bars are telling you, and then shift your weight down and forward (ktm). You don't have to move your butt on the seat; just ktm. On a bike with new tires and a properly set up alignment you can take a lot of curves completely hands-off. 

I think that a lot of the "bagger-weave" some guys complain about is actually due to this forcing the bike down into a turn and holding it. In an airplane it's called pilot-induced oscillation as the airplane goes up and down, trying to find an attitude appropriate for the trim it has dialed in with the pilot fighting every move. (No, we don't need a big argument over whether bagger weave really exists; of course it does.)

Once you've learned the technique the initial countersteer will go so smoothly into the weight shift that you won't even notice it as a separate action any more.

This is not high-speed riding; it is high performance riding, working with the bike to let it do what it naturally wants to do.

Pilgrim

Your bike is $2,000 away from being dead, solid perfect.  And it always will be.

jerry34208

Ardy

Quote from: jerry34208 on March 26, 2012, 01:17:34 AM
Good post Pilgrim.

:agree: I inadvertently did just what you explained while staying on the ass of my son-in-law on his Dyna riding the twisties in the Black Hills. I ride a Geezer Glide Ultra.

I am like the OP, out for twenty odd years but drooling at the thought of getting back on a bike. My daughter graduated and I'm on my fifth bike and loving every minute of it. Guys at work ask me if I'm a biker now and I tell them that I have golf clubs but that doesn't make me a golfer, but I dearly love the game as well as I love to ride. To many times I think we just sit back and try to take those curves like we are riding straight (and level). Took me a while to figure it all back out and KTM is a very good explanation.
Guns don't kill people.
Drivers on Cell Phones do.

YFOPOS1

All good replies  to OP  , but it also could  be a simple "slope of the road"
Usually roads are high in the center and sloped to the sides for obvious reasons, but sometimes you get where they didn't construct it that way,.

cheetah

Quote from: Twolane on March 25, 2012, 02:51:10 PM
It would be nice if that genjac site was readable. Unfortunately, the text stretches entirely across the screen and you can't resize the text to make it readable without scrolling. It would be impossible to read on a phone or an ipad.
In order to get the text small enough to read without having to scroll left/ right simply hold,down the ctrl key while scrolling down the mouse scroll button. this will increase or decrease the text size. or you can (as on laptop) use the ctrl key and up/dn keys to do the same.
C
Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be

2011FXDC

Quote from: YFOPOS1 on March 26, 2012, 03:05:03 PM
All good replies  to OP  , but it also could  be a simple "slope of the road"
Usually roads are high in the center and sloped to the sides for obvious reasons, but sometimes you get where they didn't construct it that way,.
Funny you say that. I talked to one of our motor guys about it and he said the same thing.

2011FXDC

Thank you everyone for the discussion. I appreciate the help.

Nooter99

Quote from: Pilgrim on March 26, 2012, 12:09:07 AM
Quote from: Ken R on March 25, 2012, 07:23:15 AM

Ken

We called that "kissing the mirror" (ktm) when I learned it.  The technique does not call for hanging off the low side, like some guys do, but just getting a good weight shift in and forward. Properly done, you can get by with very little lean. 

In an airplane, if you want to go up (bear with me, pilots; I'm simplifying, here) you pull back on the stick.  You will feel resistance to the pull because the airplane wants to fly straight an level and you are overriding that inclination, but as long as you want to go up you keep pressure on the stick unless you adjust the "trim."  That adjustment moves the control surfaces into a climb position and takes the pressure out.  You can let go and the airplane will continue to climb. When you want to go straight and level, you adjust the trim for that, etc.

The same thing, more or less, works for turning a bike.  The bike wants to run straight and true (we hope) and when you use the bars to turn you are forcing it to do something it doesn't want to, so it fights back.  You wind up with continuous steering corrections, so that the smooth curve you want to cut turns into a series of scalloped mini-turns.

So, instead of forcing the bike to keep doing something it doesn't want to do, initiate the turn with some countersteer and then adjust your weight to "trim out" the pressure you have to hold on the handlebars to stay in the turn -- you'll be amazed the first time you do it.  Set up the turn, pay attention to what the bars are telling you, and then shift your weight down and forward (ktm). You don't have to move your butt on the seat; just ktm. On a bike with new tires and a properly set up alignment you can take a lot of curves completely hands-off. 

I think that a lot of the "bagger-weave" some guys complain about is actually due to this forcing the bike down into a turn and holding it. In an airplane it's called pilot-induced oscillation as the airplane goes up and down, trying to find an attitude appropriate for the trim it has dialed in with the pilot fighting every move. (No, we don't need a big argument over whether bagger weave really exists; of course it does.)

Once you've learned the technique the initial countersteer will go so smoothly into the weight shift that you won't even notice it as a separate action any more.

This is not high-speed riding; it is high performance riding, working with the bike to let it do what it naturally wants to do.

Pilgrim

How do you shift your weight DOWN? Not being a smartass at all, just rying to understand so I can improve. Also, what is KTM? I suck at acronyms.
Better to die a million dollars in debt, than with a million in the bank!

glens

Quote from: cheetah on March 27, 2012, 06:44:33 AM
Quote from: Twolane on March 25, 2012, 02:51:10 PM
In order to get the text small enough to read without having to scroll left/ right simply hold,down the ctrl key while scrolling down the mouse scroll button. this will increase or decrease the text size. or you can (as on laptop) use the ctrl key and up/dn keys to do the same.
C

Or you could do what I did and edit the HTML so it's not so obnoxious.  Haven't read it yet, though...  All I did was comment out some of the format directives and added a base href tag which makes it so the images &c. will be called from the original site even though you're "browsing" the file from your computer.  Change the file type to "HTML", I couldn't attach it as such.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]