May 08, 2024, 12:52:33 PM

News:

singh groove

Started by crazycalvin, November 05, 2008, 11:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycalvin

Is this something someone could do at the house or do you need to send out to have done?  What about the effects on compression and carbon build up?  It seems like on a high compression build you could risk the head gasket failing at the groove point.  Thanks, Calvin.

Quick_2s

Is this different than a squish groove?
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

tireater

I did my own squish grooves on my 95" FLHT, burns cleaner, rerouted breather to ground, got 2 1/2hp 3ft lbs and 5 more mpg...Of course I'm happy!!! I also did my 103" St Bob...Redyno tune this weekend...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

crazycalvin

If the squish groove is the notch that is cut into the combustion chamber at the edge, then I guess they are the same thing.  I think Larry was the one that put them on some heads on the MSN HTT, but it is slower than h@ll over there.  Thanks, Calvin.

crazycalvin

Tireater, do you have pix and can you tell me how you did it?  I am thinking about doing it to my heads when I do my BB and cams iin the garage.  Thanks, Calvin.

PanHeadRed

November 05, 2008, 12:10:51 PM #5 Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:14:13 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Here ya go.

!ROFLMAO!

sorry.

Sonny S.

PHR,

You gonna start trying 3 grooves per head I see

PanHeadRed

Yeah, excellent!  I will coin the phrase "Tri-Power Trench Quench"

What do I owe ya, 10%?

How bout this one "Smoke" the competition.

!ROFLMAO!

Sonny S.

I think you are on to something !!!

Your photo also proves what many have wondered. It's clear that the grooves are in fact self cleaning as there are no ash deposits in them. ALL of the mix is clearly directed to the center of the chamber for a more efficient burn.   ;D

Good job !!

Sonny

tireater

November 05, 2008, 12:54:02 PM #9 Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:31:23 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Here is a pic of a shaved Deweys 04 pro st head I did the grooves on while I cooked 4 eggos...Thats how long it took.
The plugs are burning very clean and I have the breathers routed to ground...no oil blow by yet..I broke it in hard...

crazycalvin

Thanks for posting the picture tireater.  Tireater did you just groove them with a file?  RHP, that was funny as h*ll!  Thanks, Calvin.

tireater

A hack saw followed by $4 of needle files....Everyone is funny....But I get an extra gal. of gas per tank...ha ha ha....

FSG

I grooved mine using a Bridgeport Turret Lathe, but could have done it with a hacksaw and a rat tail file a lot easier.  :)

RoadKingKohn

For what it is worth.  It is called a "Singh groove" because of the fellow from India that started doing it first.

FSG

Faast Ed

So,.....   RPH, how many bikes you runnin' 'grooves on these days?   

(LOL)  Just kidding, I know you are a non-believer.
≡Faast Ed>

crazycalvin

Thanks for the input, Calvin.

Quick_2s

So judging by the pics this is no where near a precise operation to get the desired affect. Not at all picking on yours just a question.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Don D

It can be precise when done on a milling machine with the proper tools and holding fixture

tireater

From the good results my homemade grooves are getting...It appears you don't need a mill....or even a garage...

Killer

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

Deye76

Quote from: Faast Ed on November 06, 2008, 06:18:36 AM
So,.....   RPH, how many bikes you runnin' 'grooves on these days?   

(LOL)  Just kidding, I know you are a non-believer.

Red's just jealous he didn't try it first.  ;)
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ken R

November 07, 2008, 08:12:11 AM #23 Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:13:15 PM by Ken R
Tireeater, you've reported such good results from your simple two grooves, that's probably what I'll do to mine in a couple of weeks.  (finally going to 95 cu in).  5 MPG is HUGE! That's 25 extra miles per tank!  I'll be happy with any measureable improvement to show for my efforts.    I'll be using the triangular file method. 

I've been to the Singh website, looks like almost any grooves bring positive results, so long as they point towards the ignition source. 

Anyone else have pictures of what they did? 

Faast Ed

November 07, 2008, 03:01:45 PM #24 Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:10:19 PM by Faast Ed

Anyone else have pictures of what they did? 

WFO Larry did these for me:

45 mpg riding the bike fairly aggressively (70-80 cruise with some playtime to boot, during that test).
103", 54's, mild street port, 1.90 intake, Fatcat & SERT.
≡Faast Ed>