May 05, 2024, 07:00:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Reusable Oil Filters?

Started by jon1550, February 14, 2009, 04:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V24me

If the filter was the choke point in the oil system, then having a less constrictive filter would allow faster moving oil resulting in cooler oil and perhaps less power to drive the oil pump.

It could produce a slight HP increase, much like putting an electric fuel pump on an old muscle car.

I still want to know it filters as good as traditional ones before I buy, but I would purchase if it's proven.
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

tireater

I bought my K & P from the Harley dealer...so they don't seemed worried about it....
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Quote from: V24me on March 03, 2009, 01:29:22 PM
If the filter was the choke point in the oil system, then having a less constrictive filter would allow faster moving oil resulting in cooler oil and perhaps less power to drive the oil pump.

It could produce a slight HP increase, much like putting an electric fuel pump on an old muscle car.

I still want to know it filters as good as traditional ones before I buy, but I would purchase if it's proven.

Based on what I have read and believe, the KP filters are better than most if not all commonly available HD combination media filters (paper, fiberglass etc.).  The double pass tests will lend credence to this.  Absolute filtration is just that, absolute, the near opposite of "nominal."  I don't know of any common combination media filters which are rated at near the absolute rating of the KP or Powerhouse.  The Pure One auto filter is rated very high but there is no Pure One Purolator, comparable to the auto Pure One, made by Purolator for HD bikes because of oil flow concerns:  high restriction.  That being said the PerForm combination media filter is a high filtration unit and closer to the KP or Powerhouse in filtration efficiency than most other similar filters available for HD bikes.  To me, the biggest real drawback to the combination media filters is "channeling" which means that when the oil finds a larger hole in the media, the oil tends to head to that path of lesser resistance which ......... makes the hole bigger over time .. allowing larger particles to pass through the media which means reduced filtration.  If condensation removal is a concern on your bike, then a good combination media filter is probably the better route to go.
Seabrook

taz95dog

wouldn't condensation burn-off once the engine reached operating temp? just wondering...taz... :tea:
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

taz95dog

any problem with them leaking?   taz...

Sc00ter

Quote from: taz95dog on March 05, 2009, 03:22:23 PM
any problem with them leaking?   taz...

I use the K&P filter - have for several years...  Never had a leak...   :up:

tireater

Never had a leak with either the Pure Power or the K&P...

-SeabrookTrickBagger

March 06, 2009, 06:54:58 AM #32 Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:00:13 AM by -SeabrookTrickBagger
Quote from: taz95dog on March 04, 2009, 03:15:24 AM
wouldn't condensation burn-off once the engine reached operating temp? just wondering...taz... :tea:

I wonder how hot the oil has to get for moisture to burn off?  And, when it burns off, does it not just change to vapor?  If so, where does the vapor go, out the top end --- eventually-- or just merely re-condense?  I don't think condensation is a concern in most environments.  If you change your oil often enough, condensation is probably handled with the oil change.  While those who sell combination media oil filters tout the condensation removing ability of their filters, I always wondered why oil passing through the same media which "catches" condensation would not dislodge it especially if the media is saturated  and if the media is saturated with oil, will condensation really displace the oil in the filter media?  But, I never wondered enough to do anything about it even though I have a secondary bypass combination media filter on the bike which filters to less than 1 micron and will "catch" condensation.  Finally, condensation removal is not addressed, for the most part, in the fuel system, which will attract more water than oil will attract (temperature differences not considered) due to the alcohol in our fuel.  Personally, I have more concerns about the alcohol in fuel which loves to eat aluminum.
Seabrook

taz95dog

think your right,in the southwest condensation isn't much of a problem.if there was condensation in the oil ,the oil would look milkey? never seen that. never had trouble with it in the fuel (that i know ).i'm more worried about the alcohol in my drink. :teeth:...taz...

FXDBI

With the boiling point of water 212 and oil in a operating temperature is 220 the moisture would be long gone. It vaporises and comes out the crankcase vents. Only time I have ever seen water a problem in oil is when there is water-cooling involved. I really don't think you get enough condensation inside a air cooled motorcycle engine to worry about it.     Bob

Jeffd

i read on an oil site that oil temp only has to be 180 or for a period of time for the condensation to disapate. It makes sense because you put water on a hot surface it evaporates pretty fast even if it under 212. Seems if the oil system was so closed the moisture could not vent you would be blowing your dip stick pretty regularly.

taz95dog

does anyone on this site sell the k&P . think i "need"one...bill...

tireater

I got mine at the Harley parts counter...they were pushing them...

taz95dog

WERE THEY AROUND$150.00 OR SO ? THANKS...BILL...sorry caps lock were on....

tireater

Yep...they even had a dyno sheet showing a small power increase... :hyst:

Jeffd

Quote from: taz95dog on March 06, 2009, 09:57:52 AM

I would also take the plunge for $150 but everywhere I have looked are higher.

tireater

FSG

QuoteI'm not sure what the 3rd item is in the bottom ot the pic...

It's a filter strap tool for removal

tireater

The first fin on a K & P has flats for a filter wrench...Probably easier than a strap wrench...?

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Quote from: Jeffd on March 06, 2009, 10:23:05 AM
Quote from: taz95dog on March 06, 2009, 09:57:52 AM

I would also take the plunge for $150 but everywhere I have looked are higher.

Nallin Racing Head Service

Also a lot of motocross sites have them since they are fairly popular with that race crowd
Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Seabrook

tireater

Jeffd

I took the plunge for $119 shipped.  I change oil way too often, every 2500 miles or close to it so in 2 years it will be paid for. 

taz95dog

morning jeff,will you let us know how it works out? i'm looking to buy one. seems like on the old site someone said scootertrash had them also.but i can't find them...thanks ...bill...

timetraveler

March 07, 2009, 09:05:47 AM #49 Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:08:20 AM by timetraveler
Quote from: Jeffd on March 07, 2009, 06:20:49 AM
I took the plunge for $119 shipped.  I change oil way too often, every 2500 miles or close to it so in 2 years it will be paid for. 
Was that for p/n S4? because I did not see it listed in their catolog?