May 05, 2024, 02:14:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Reusable Oil Filters?

Started by jon1550, February 14, 2009, 04:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon1550

Hi group - I'd like to know if anyone is using Powerhouse or any Reusable Oil Filters? I'm getting ready
to do an oil change (every 4K mi.); and wanted to know if they are many times more efficient in
distributing oil, and are proven to add more horsepower - as advertised on Ebay? Thanks for any info
before considering this investment.

jon1550

Anything to ad claims that using Reusible oil filters is more efficient in distributing and cooling
oil? What about the claim that Reusible filters will increase hp/ torque in the 8-10% range?   

Sc00ter

Quote from: jon1550 on February 15, 2009, 10:08:29 AM
Anything to ad claims that using Reusible oil filters is more efficient in distributing and cooling
oil? What about the claim that Reusible filters will increase hp/ torque in the 8-10% range?   

This ought to be an interesting thread...   :pop:

I have used a K&P oil filter for several years.  No increase hp/torque (8-10%? :hyst:)  I know they claim HP gains, but sorry, no...  More efficient distributing and cooling? - maybe, but neglegible.

The reason I use the K&P is I believe it offers better filtration than a paper filter - and most of all, I like to see what is in the filter, if anything, at each oil change. 

We used this type oil filtration in the road race cars for years - not typical round filter, but a flat, multi screened filter.  Same technology, different package.  After every session, it's contents would be analyzed - looking for warning signs of bad things on the horizon...

So, I think the manufacturers of this type filter oversell their capability and undersell the actual benefits - but that's marketing...

I like it...it is easy to use and easy to clean and will last years...

Sc00ter

Quote from: Sc00ter on February 15, 2009, 10:23:07 AM
Quote from: jon1550 on February 15, 2009, 10:08:29 AM

This ought to be an interesting thread...   :pop:

I have used a K&P oil filter for several years.  No increase hp/torque (8-10%? :hyst:)  I know they claim HP gains, but sorry, no...  More efficient distributing and cooling? - maybe, but neglegible.

The reason I use the K&P is I believe it offers better filtration than a paper filter - and most of all, I like to see what is in the filter, if anything, at each oil change. 

We used this type oil filtration in the road race cars for years - not typical round filter, but a flat, multi screened filter.  Same technology, different package.  After every session, it's contents would be analyzed - looking for warning signs of bad things on the horizon...

So, I think the manufacturers of this type filter oversell their capability and undersell the actual benefits - but that's marketing...

I like it...it is easy to use and easy to clean and will last years...

http://www.kandpengineering.com/

jd8181

so you guys had me wondering about reuseable oil filters so i made a trip into the local harley store and asked them about it. the parts manager had a flyer right behind him that he gave it. the company is called pure power and they are out of huntington beach, ca. when i was talking to the parts manager he said that he had talked to a sales guy on the phone from pure power and he sold him. one thing he said to try is to pure epoxy down into a standard paper filter's bypass and then try to run oil through it. he said it would take (i think he said) 10 lbs. and with this new filter it wouldn't have any problems because of what it's made of. one other thing he said was to pour oil on a news paper and see how long it takes you to get a drop though it. made a really good point. and also with this filter it's the ONLY cleanable/reusable oil filter proven to be so effective and reliable that it passes F.A.A. testing. i also asked who it makes more hp and they said that your motor isn't fighting to push the oil through. and it only comes in polished because if they made it in chrome or black they said the color wouldn't last. but i do have to say that $200 for an oil filter is a lot of money.
http://www.gopurepower.com/
2003 Night Train 95" SE Pistons, S&S Cams, Hooker's , SERT, etc....
What's Next

Sonny S.

sounds like the salesman did his job well

jd8181

March 02, 2009, 03:35:09 PM #6 Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:01:16 PM by jd8181
here's the flyer i just scaned it

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
What's Next

jd8181

March 02, 2009, 03:35:46 PM #7 Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:02:57 PM by jd8181
here's the back of it

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
What's Next

FXDBI

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/

Big steam and gas turbines , and big natural gas engines have had filters made from screen for years. Easy to clean and check for particulate,a magnet to catch things has well. Going to order one of these for myself now my warranty is up and the dealer cant cry foul.....Bob

jd8181

my dealer was all about them. even had one he let me check out behind the counter that he had just got in for someone.
What's Next

tireater

I run a K & P and a Pure Power....I think the K & P is a better engineered unit...1 flat ring vrs (4) o rings...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Phu Cat

If there was an oil filter that increased grunt, there's only be only oil filter out there as all the others would have gone out of bizness.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Solarflare10

IMO, for the price of a stock spin-on every 4K. I would prefer to avoid any potential factory battles.

Tsani

Quote from: Solarflare10 on March 02, 2009, 07:33:38 PM
IMO, for the price of a stock spin-on every 4K. I would prefer to avoid any potential factory battles.

True, but once your out of warranty, there are no factory battles.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

stroker800

I know Merch had made one for thier own motors and kits for evos,,I believed in was sintered bronze. I thought it was a good idea at the time ,,never havin to look for filters and not fill the landfill sites.. My friend removed his from his Merch motor as he had troubles with motor (oil related). I still thinks its a good idea in theory.
Dave

MMOCGuy

If an oil filter advertises an increase in HP, I'd immediately be suspicious. There is no way that an oil filter can add horsepower.

For what it is worth to anyone who reads this; As far as reusable oil filters are concerned, I've used them both in my cars and Harleys and I can tell anyone who wants to listen that they are a PITA because, in addition to all of the other stuff you have to do when changing oil & filter, you have take time out to clean/change the element. In my exerience, they simply aren't worth it. A number of years ago there were a couple of companies advertising toilet paper oil filters for cars. Both worked very well but weren't any better than spin ons in efficiency. One, in particular, was very nice looking as the housing was finned aluminum but, with both, it was a PITA to size and change the element.

According to an independant study I read, one of the best filters on the market is WIX. NAPA Auto Suppy filters are WIX filters and the NAPA Gold are the best. These days that's all I use in my bikes an autos.

This is just my humble opine.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

-SeabrookTrickBagger

After running the K&P for many years, I have no complaints.  Did I read on this forum that the Baisley clan decided that high flow stainless steel filters were the next best thing to sliced bread and increased HP, torque, cooling ................  .  Of course, they won't remove condensation.
Seabrook

eaton.mike

Below is a link to an article in Street Chopper magazine that feaures the the reuslts of their PurePower filter test. They did a before and after test on the dyno and showed impressive HP and TQ gains.  They claim in the article "the bike was never taken off the dyno, and only the oil and oil filter were changed-no adjustments were made, and no tuning whatsoever was involved."

http://www.streetchopperweb.com/tech/0702_stcp_reusable_oil_filters/index.html

tireater

I did the same tests with my bikes...Got + 2/2 on the 06...No gain on the 05...
Dyno guy said they get mixed results...You get a little less parasitic loss from thinner oil too...
I like the good relief valve, keeping an eye on particle build up and being able to change filters often...

Jeffd

Quote from: -SeabrookTrickBagger on March 02, 2009, 09:08:00 PM
After running the K&P for many years, I have no complaints.  Did I read on this forum that the Baisley clan decided that high flow stainless steel filters were the next best thing to sliced bread and increased HP, torque, cooling ................  .  Of course, they won't remove condensation.

Baisley told me personally via phone conversation that they did not see an increase in power but did see a reduction in oil temps.

Sonny S.

Is anyone using these type of filters having oil analysis done ?
I like the idea but I'm just not there yet with it's effectiveness.

tireater

The problem with regular filters is that the overflow may be open most of the time..letting large particles bypass the filter...
Several filters have been redesigned to address this in the last few years...Reusable filters don't bypass oil easily...

tireater

I run both the Pure Power and the K & P...I find the K & P to be a better engineered product...
1 flat ring vrs (4) 4 o rings on the Pure Power...It also removes completely...The magnet is also easier to clean...
The Pure power leaves the filter base on the bike...I had to make a special tool to remove it...

jd8181

the pure power filter i seen yesterday only had 1 gasket not 4. it was one big one where the can screwed on around the filter
on a stock paper filter the bypass is open about all the time letting everything go through it on these reusable ones it go through the filter so it catches a lot more.
What's Next

tireater

The Pure Power filter has an o ring holding the overflow to the filter, an o ring between the filter and the base...
An o ring between the alum housing and the base, and an o ring between the base and the bikes filter base...
The K & P has 1 flat ring...It is where it attaches to the bikes filter base...
The pure power has 2 magnets in the filter pleats...hard to clean...
The K & P has a magnet dot you can wipe off...much easier to clean...