May 05, 2024, 01:42:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Reusable Oil Filters?

Started by jon1550, February 14, 2009, 04:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrenchspinner3

Just wondering if anyone is sensing that there might be a problem with the lack of anti drain-back valves on these filters?  I know K&P's website states that it is not a problem, as most conventional filters' anti drain-back valves don't work that well anyway, and actually present a restriction to normal flow. As well, with a roller bearing crank, instantaneous oil supply at cold start-up may not be as much of a problem anyway. 

Jeffd

Quote from: timetraveler on March 07, 2009, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: Jeffd on March 07, 2009, 06:20:49 AM
I took the plunge for $119 shipped.  I change oil way too often, every 2500 miles or close to it so in 2 years it will be paid for. 
Was that for p/n S4? because I did not see it listed in their catolog?

I emailed them last night and ask if they had one to fit the twin cam harley and they emailed right back stating they just got them in yesterday.  I called this morning and just ask for a twin cam k&p and they said $131shipped and I said that I got an email that said $119 shipped and they said ok $119 shipped it is.  I verified it was the K&P with wrench etc included and specifically for a twin cam harley and they said yes that was correct.  They said that they would be added to thier web site on Monday when they updated it.

timetraveler

Jeffd

Just wanted to report that Schnitzracing was fast with shipping.  $119.99 to my door and a nice little piece of billet.  They include the wrench and an extra quad ring.  Slapped it on and could barely keep the rear tire from spinning it increased my power so much. :wink:.  I will say that I built up oil pressure instantly after changing oil, it always has taken a few seconds more with stock filters.

taz95dog

jeff , what is the part# ?thanks bill...
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

Jeffd

Jeffd

totally unscientific test so take with a grain of salt or pepper if you perfer.  Yesterday before changing out the filter I did a 65 mile loop.  Air temp was 50 degrees and when I was done oil temp hit ~185* about 50 miles at ~80-85mph.  Today did the same exact ride same speeds,about 55 degrees.  Oil temp hit ~175*   I did change oil last oil had 3000 miles so I suppose that could be a factor. Yesterday I ran before I rode today I snow shoed before I rode so that could be a factor.  Yesterday I had 1 piece of toast for breakfast, today 2 peices of toast....

northbrun

-SeabrookTrickBagger

I don't have the HD or aftermarket part number for the oil filter.  If someone has it at hand, can they cross reference the HD filter number to a jap bike and thereby find out if Schnitz will have it for a jap bike?

TIA.
Seabrook

Jeffd

go to thier web site and email them what filter you are looking for.  The K&P web site also lists what bikes thier filters fit.  schnitzracing was very prompt on answering my email.

taz95dog

home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Quote from: Jeffd on March 17, 2009, 05:38:43 PM
go to thier web site and email them what filter you are looking for.  The K&P web site also lists what bikes thier filters fit.  schnitzracing was very prompt on answering my email.

I need to hit the refresh button more often since I did not see your earlier post with the part number.... so sorry....
Seabrook

wrenchspinner3

Jeffd, so now you have the filter, did you see some sort of drain-back feature engineered into it? How about a by-pass feature? I would be interested to install one on a 2003 TC-88, but am a little nervous about the long term effect. I do a lot of oil changes, so it would represent a savings over time.

tireater

Last time I pulled my K & P filter...there was no oil in it after a day of not running....
I was not doing an oil change...just checking the filter contents out...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Jeffd

Quote from: wrenchspinner3 on March 19, 2009, 09:39:35 AM
Jeffd, so now you have the filter, did you see some sort of drain-back feature engineered into it? How about a by-pass feature? I would be interested to install one on a 2003 TC-88, but am a little nervous about the long term effect. I do a lot of oil changes, so it would represent a savings over time.

It definetly has a by pass (ball bearing/spring set up) does not appear to have an anti drain back feature, but it seems that with your bike on the side stand that it is natually going to have gravity working for it.  I gotta say that my oil pressure comes up immediately (I have an oil pressure guage) I am guessing it comes up so fast because the screen flows so much oil (just guessing of course).  When all is said and done it was worth $119.95 to me.  I have torn almost every filter apart on my bike from day one and have never been overly impressed with the filter media of the stock filter. 

-SeabrookTrickBagger

:up:

Any debris would have to travel about 10 inches before it reached the pump, with the engine off, which is not going to happen unless the bike was on its right side or maybe you have a oil cooler physically mounted above the filter and "before" the filter which would allow the oil in the cooler to drain back into the filter and flush the filtered material back into the engine .

The chances of a the bypass ever being activated, below 7000 rpms, even with a high pressure oil pump which would close the differential pressure gap is very remote since the bypass activates at about 60 lbs+.
Seabrook

Jeffd

did a 140 mile ride at a constant 65-70mph, 55 degrees out and very little wind.  Oil temp never got above 170* and took about 60 miles before it even got to 170*.  I filled up when I left and when I returned had 141 miles on the tank and took exactly 3 gallons.
I am not saying this filter is a miracle producing piece of billet but hey so far so good.