April 30, 2024, 12:58:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

LiquiMoly 10w-60 synthoil racetech gt1 100% Synthetic SL,CF,A3,B4 $8.52/qt

Started by Mountainman streetbob, July 14, 2014, 06:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WI Bob

I would like to know more about the "moly" additive in this stuff. Moly is great for pins and bushings and okay in gun barrels to a point. But not recommened for most ball or roller bearings.

I know one race engine company (mostly V8's) that will tell every new customer not to use oils with moly. They have seen it sitting like mud in the bottom of the pan after a summer race season.

Maybe these hot running v-twins of ours will keep it blended?
Just here for the women.

itsafatboy

Dont think this has a moly additive in it ,   they have some oil that does but not sold here from what i saw. 

ThumperDeuce

Quote from: itsafatboy on July 17, 2014, 02:57:17 PM
Dont think this has a moly additive in it ,   they have some oil that does but not sold here from what i saw.

That link I posted shows an average of 57 ppm of molybdenum.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

No Cents

I took a little longer extended ride home on the way home to make sure I brought the engine up to it's full operating temp.
I had no cooling fans turned on and the dip stick read 204* when I parked it in the barn.
This was a little cooler day than average...the outside temp today on my ride home was only 79*.
I'll keep logging oil temp's for the next week or so. It's suppose to be getting hotter as the week goes on.

Ray 
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

BUBBIE

:missed:

I Can't see where they use much Moly in the oil...?  There is a chart I'll look, ThumperDeuce had it  post #23

seems More additives are in the German oil.. Good or Bad :idunno:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2377569

signed....BUBBIE

self edited
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

No Cents

that link Thumper posted was for 0w40 Luqui Moly.
I wonder if the 10w60 has the same ingredients as the 0w40?

Ray

billqbiker

Called local NAPA shop here in Atlantic Canada and they want $90.00 for 5 qt. jug.
Even worse - $25.00 a quart!
At these prices will not be trying it any time soon.

FXDBI

Quote from: billqbiker on July 17, 2014, 03:21:58 PM
Called local NAPA shop here in Atlantic Canada and they want $90.00 for 5 qt. jug.
Even worse - $25.00 a quart!
At these prices will not be trying it any time soon.

Yes same thing I was told on Monday when I asked, told the guy about the price in the states and he informed me they are not the same NAPA in Canada they are actually just a affiliate flying the NAPA banner. That was his explanation for the extreme price difference.  Bob

Jaycee1964

Shocked!  I ordered a 5ltr bottle 2 days ago on Amazon and it's already in my hands.  It goes in tomorrow after work.  I can't believe I'm falling for another oil thread...  :emoGroan:  LOL

If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

03NhHarley

Quote from: No Cents on July 17, 2014, 03:13:45 PM
I took a little longer extended ride home on the way home to make sure I brought the engine up to it's full operating temp.
I had no cooling fans turned on and the dip stick read 204* when I parked it in the barn.
This was a little cooler day than average...the outside temp today on my ride home was only 79*.
I'll keep logging oil temp's for the next week or so. It's suppose to be getting hotter as the week goes on.

Ray

Hey Ray. Did you notice any reduction of oil pressure mostly at hot idle?

No Cents

here's a little more of an update.
I went to the Quaker State and Lube bike night tonight. I went with three other friends and we had a good time.
I might of drank three or four beers tonight  :beer:  and felt a little braver. I pretty much tested and tuned the old Duracell a few times on the ride home...got a little air time and shredded a little back tire  :banghead:
I pulled it into the barn at the end of the night...and my oil temp was only 204*.   :nix:
I have to do a little more testing...but I'm liking the 10w60 so far.

Ray

misfitJason

This brand of oil comes highly reccommended in the VW Audi and german car aftermarket
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

No Cents

Quote from: 03NhHarley on July 17, 2014, 06:22:57 PM
Quote from: No Cents on July 17, 2014, 03:13:45 PM

Ray

Hey Ray. Did you notice any reduction of oil pressure mostly at hot idle?

no...my oil pressure has stayed the same.

Ray

06roadglide

Quote from: misfitJason on July 17, 2014, 08:44:32 PM
This brand of oil comes highly reccommended in the VW Audi and german car aftermarket
Not on forums for an M3. You almost get shunned for running anything other than Castrol TWS in an S54.

gordonr

I haven't performed any in the field oil research but how or where does this oil reduce the temps in your engine? Combustion temps and pressures haven't changed. We all know that the a piston receives its primary cooling from the transfer heat through the rings to the cylinder wall . So is the high lubricity oil reducing the friction on the cylinder wall and is the piston getting hotter than before because it can't efficiently shed its high temps or what? Ponderous
"If was easy everyone would do it"

Jaycee1964

Quote from: gordonr on July 18, 2014, 04:01:30 AM
I haven't performed any in the field oil research but how or where does this oil reduce the temps in your engine? Combustion temps and pressures haven't changed. We all know that the a piston receives its primary cooling from the transfer heat through the rings to the cylinder wall . So is the high lubricity oil reducing the friction on the cylinder wall and is the piston getting hotter than before because it can't efficiently shed its high temps or what? Ponderous

I think the piston oilers also have a bit to do with piston cooling in a big twin and if oil temps are lower with this oil then the oil being sprayed on the pistons will be cooler and thus reduce temps as well.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

Templer

If NASCAR uses Mobile 1 (5w-20w) in motors that get high rpm and 220* oil temps then what is the draw back to using it for a HD? The pressure will still be the same and the V-Twin MOTORCYCLE  still doesn't cost as much as a NASCAR MOTOR. Anyone try aircraft oil? Air cooled? Are we looking for longevity or performance or best of both ? I WANT A 200MPH, 200,000 mile  200 HP 10second BUTT HAULER That never needs oil change !!!!!!  We spend $$$$$$$ on our bikes anyway. Some change oil every 2k miles. WTF use/swap the oil from the person who changes it @ 1500 miles. ECO friendly.,SOME just ADD (ANY TYPE) when needed (self changing)? Any one want to try ANYTHING other then OEM  suggested (syn ) in there 2014 $40,000 + HD? If after reading all the HTT posts and NOISE FROM ? problems why not fix what you have to NOT MAKE THE NOISE!!  PUT IN THICKER OIL??   TURN up the radio,install louder exhaust,put in ear plugs, full face helmet. When HD STOP making noise there is a PROBLEM????? The thicker oil stops noise. What causes that noise? The 2014 are quieter then previous models because they take out the noise BEFORE you get it.  They still come up to "operating temp" and run same pressure as govern by the oil pump bypass. OEM or barn yard build? Try a alum oil filter with a 10 micron screen. MORE oil VOLUME and quieter. ASK ME HOW I KNOW? ANY OIL!!!!!!!

WideWildGlide

price is what starter this, ,i run Schaeffer's 20w50 supreme 7000 race oil cost me around 5$-6$ quart has extra zinc in it,i change oil when i change tires 2000-3000miles depend on how much i beat up on it, no your not going find it in stores we have a guy come buy and stock us we usually buy it by the box of 12 quarts but gallon jugs are cheaper, if it matter Dave Mackie approved this oil at one time might still do

Mountainman streetbob

Quote from: Templer on July 18, 2014, 07:44:56 AM
If NASCAR uses Mobile 1 (5w-20w) in motors that get high rpm and 220* oil temps then what is the draw back to using it for a HD? The pressure will still be the same and the V-Twin MOTORCYCLE  still doesn't cost as much as a NASCAR MOTOR. Anyone try aircraft oil? Air cooled? Are we looking for longevity or performance or best of both ? I WANT A 200MPH, 200,000 mile  200 HP 10second BUTT HAULER That never needs oil change !!!!!!  We spend $$$$$$$ on our bikes anyway. Some change oil every 2k miles. WTF use/swap the oil from the person who changes it @ 1500 miles. ECO friendly.,SOME just ADD (ANY TYPE) when needed (self changing)? Any one want to try ANYTHING other then OEM  suggested (syn ) in there 2014 $40,000 + HD? If after reading all the HTT posts and NOISE FROM ? problems why not fix what you have to NOT MAKE THE NOISE!!  PUT IN THICKER OIL??   TURN up the radio,install louder exhaust,put in ear plugs, full face helmet. When HD STOP making noise there is a PROBLEM????? The thicker oil stops noise. What causes that noise? The 2014 are quieter then previous models because they take out the noise BEFORE you get it.  They still come up to "operating temp" and run same pressure as govern by the oil pump bypass. OEM or barn yard build? Try a alum oil filter with a 10 micron screen. MORE oil VOLUME and quieter. ASK ME HOW I KNOW? ANY OIL!!!!!!!

#1 If your motor is stone quiet for valve train noise at 80* ambient air temp and 210* engine oil temp and sounds like a sewing machine at 95* ambient and 230* engine oil temp with 20w-50, or straight 50wt then is stone quiet at 95* ambient air temp and 230* engine oil temp with a 20w-60 or a straight 60w................. Then you have noise induced by low viscosity... Those noises you hear are your valve train beating itself up and your bearings could very well be doing the same.

I am not worried about noise, I worry about my valvetrain beating itself up!

I love Woods and Leineweber cams that look like SQUARE lobes in my play bikes! However My 255 cam should be FAIRLY quiet and if your valvetrain is louder at 230* oil temp than it is at 180* oil temp that could create a problem!:)

#2 Airplanes run in extremely cold air temps and the oil is expensive.... Those air temps are the exact opposite of the cooling our v twins get.

#3 BTW most of us ALREADY have better oil cooling and LOWER OPENING THERMOSTATS! Wards Parts Werks 160* thermostats are the bomb!

#4 If I can get oil that runs better when it is 90* to 105* our AND the oil runs better when it is 29* to 50* at startup AND I can stock only 1 oil year round AND it is 1/2 the price and available 13 miles away rather than ordering it....... That"s a  clear winner in my book!

#5 Playing with oil is fun! And who doesn't like a good experiment shared by a dozen guys across the whole nation!  :up:
Brice H Dyal  The "Mountainmman"
US Army 89-01 35H/12B US Army AMC

No Cents

did you notice any difference with the Ward's thermostat installed?
I've had on sitting on the work bench now for over a year and haven't installed it yet.

Ray

Mountainman streetbob

Ray, Since I installed the wards 160* thermostat and a 2013 oil filter adapter (I had a 2014 adapter on my 2013 fltru) On a 100* day it takes over an hour and a half of hard riding AND about 20 minutes of city driving to reach 250* I have never seen my bike exceed 250* even when in a 90 minute traffic jam on a 95*+ day. When I get back on the highway the temp goes back down to 230 even if ambient air temp is up to 100*    :up:

Before the thermostat was added on a 85* day the bike hit 250* in less than 45 minutes of hard riding as soon as you stopped at an off ramp.... AND Once I reached 250* the bike stayed there regardless of what speed I was driving and the longer I was in town in traffic jams the higher the temp got until the temp maxed out at about 280*

Sooooo I see AT LEAST a 20* lowering of temps just from the thermostat.

Before avg hot weather running temp was 250* with a high of 280* and no cooling below 250*

After avg hot weather running temp is 230* OR LESS with a high of 250*, The bike takes 2x longer to reach max temp and goes back down almost immediately upon reaching 55mph+ for a minute or two.

I believe the 160* works without a doubt for my bike and my conditions here in Memphis. More oil flow sooner at a lower temp. It is a must have and I suggest it to EVERY twin cam owner I know.

Heat is the enemy!

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/thermostats.html

BTW I am in no way affiliated with Jason I am just an enthusiastic promoter of better mousetraps! :idea:

Brice H Dyal  The "Mountainmman"
US Army 89-01 35H/12B US Army AMC

I use Mobil1 15W-50 5qt. Jug from Walmart $25.00. Living in Phx. In the summer is
Very brutal here. Have tried redline 60W at 2wice the price and have noticed no difference
In less engine noise than M1 15W-50. I have been running it for years with no problems.
02 Heritage, 08 Ultra Classic, Mesa Arizona

WideWildGlide

Quote from: Mountainman streetbob on July 19, 2014, 10:22:31 AM
Ray, Since I installed the wards 160* thermostat and a 2013 oil filter adapter (I had a 2014 adapter on my 2013 fltru) On a 100* day it takes over an hour and a half of hard riding AND about 20 minutes of city driving to reach 250* I have never seen my bike exceed 250* even when in a 90 minute traffic jam on a 95*+ day. When I get back on the highway the temp goes back down to 230 even if ambient air temp is up to 100*    :up:

Before the thermostat was added on a 85* day the bike hit 250* in less than 45 minutes of hard riding as soon as you stopped at an off ramp.... AND Once I reached 250* the bike stayed there regardless of what speed I was driving and the longer I was in town in traffic jams the higher the temp got until the temp maxed out at about 280*

Sooooo I see AT LEAST a 20* lowering of temps just from the thermostat.

Before avg hot weather running temp was 250* with a high of 280* and no cooling below 250*

After avg hot weather running temp is 230* OR LESS with a high of 250*, The bike takes 2x longer to reach max temp and goes back down almost immediately upon reaching 55mph+ for a minute or two.

I believe the 160* works without a doubt for my bike and my conditions here in Memphis. More oil flow sooner at a lower temp. It is a must have and I suggest it to EVERY twin cam owner I know.

Heat is the enemy!

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/thermostats.html

BTW I am in no way affiliated with Jason I am just an enthusiastic promoter of better mousetraps! :idea:
Thanks for info that could come in handy on a hot 120 bagger

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

No Cents

I went out to the barn an installed my Wards thermostat I've had sitting on the work bench for over a year now.
Then I rode the bike for a total of 82 miles. Most of the miles were on the interstate...except for the 4 miles it takes each way to get to it and off it from my house. I had the bike in cruise control set at 72 mph the whole way with a couple of roll on's up to 80mph to pass 18 wheelers. My oil pressure was it's normal 34 pounds at cruising speed. Hot idle was also the same with the 10W60 Luqui Moly.
My oil temp was 214* when I pulled it into the barn and parked it...this was with no cooling fans turned on.
On a normal little trip like this...I usually see my oil temp's in the 220*- 225* range.
More oil temp recordings to follow.

Ray