LiquiMoly 10w-60 synthoil racetech gt1 100% Synthetic SL,CF,A3,B4 $8.52/qt

Started by Mountainman streetbob, July 14, 2014, 06:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

mrmike

This "Potty mouth" keeps up we'll have nothing to talk about come winter.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

FlaHeatWave

Quote from: No Cents on July 19, 2014, 04:02:02 PM
I went out to the barn an installed my Wards thermostat I've had sitting on the work bench for over a year now.
Then I rode the bike for a total of 82 miles. Most of the miles were on the interstate...except for the 4 miles it takes each way to get to it and off it from my house. I had the bike in cruise control set at 72 mph the whole way with a couple of roll on's up to 80mph to pass 18 wheelers. My oil pressure was it's normal 34 pounds at cruising speed. Hot idle was also the same with the 10W60 Luqui Moly.
My oil temp was 214* when I pulled it into the barn and parked it...this was with no cooling fans turned on.
On a normal little trip like this...I usually see my oil temp's in the 220*- 225* range.
More oil temp recordings to follow.

Ray

Ray, How do you monitor your oil temps? do you use the led dipstick or do you have a gauge mounted???
I've been using the HD led dipstick, but the readings seem all over the place... should I check it first thing after shutdown? or what do you suggest?
Thanks
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

No Cents

I've got a digital led dipstick. It apparently is fairly accurate. I got a laser heat gun that I checked it with also today after a little 50 mile ride.
My temp was 214* again on the dip stick...so I pulled the dip stick out and shot the laser heat gun into the dipstick hole to see what it would read. It read 212*.  :nix:
I check the temp before starting the bike...then after I take my ride...I have been checking it when I pull the bike back into the barn and shut it off.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Mountainman streetbob

Well I have about 250 miles in 2 trips running 2 up mixture of in town and highway.

I idled the bike and at a ambient air temp of 85* i was able to idle the bike until it reached a max oil temp of 230* 4 times in the last 2 days.

At 230* oil temp my 1000rpm idle oil pressure has gone up from 8-10psi to roughly 14-16psi.

Running down the road at 2000 rpm and 230* oil temp my oil pressure 36-44 rather than 32-36.

The top end sewing machine noises are quieted down enough at 210*-230* oil temps that both the wife and son noticed going down the highway and said they heard the radio better. At idle at 230* their is no valvetrain noise at all. Matter of fact the wife who has only 1 ear and it's not that good noticed she could hear 2 distinct "new" noises... The primary and the cam chest......

I am pleased so far, The oil is no cure all but it is DEFINITELY quieter than Harley conventional/dino 50 wt
Brice H Dyal  The "Mountainmman"
US Army 89-01 35H/12B US Army AMC

BUBBIE

Seemed to me that Amazon was a bit better on deals...

Yes,  Shipping sucks BUT still beats driving a hundred miles for pick-up even on the :scoot:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Jaycee1964

164 strait highway miles between 55 and 80mph.  210• and motor is queiter.  temp outside is about 80+.  one I hit Pa.  ill update again.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

No Cents

It was 72* outside this morning on the ride into work...it showed an oil temp of 184* again for the cooler ride into work.
It's already up to +90* outside here today at noon time...so my ride home after work will be the hottest outside temp's that I've seen since putting this 10W60 in.
I'll post what temp I see when I pull it into the barn and park it after I get home from work today

Ray

Panzer

Quote from: No Cents on July 15, 2014, 04:09:30 PM
Surprisingly my local Napa store had six 1 litre bottles of the Liqui Moly 10W60 synthetic sitting on the shelf for $11.99 a bottle.
I asked him about the 5 litre jug and he said let me check. He came back and said I can have one here tomorrow morning by 8AM for $49.99. I told him I'd take one.
I rode the bike straight home and put it up on the lift to drain the oil. I'm going to let the old oil drain out real good sitting over night.
I'll let's you's know in the next few days if I can actually hear a difference in my valve train running this Liqui Moly 10W60 syn over the Mobil 1 15W50 syn that I drained out. 

Ray

Ray, as I understand it, I doubt that the noise will diminish for you.
The first number on the oil bottle is the pour characteristics.
The higher the first number the thicker the oil.
90 weight (W) gear oil pours like syrup....get my meaning on the first number?
The second number on your purchase is 60, which means it give the engine protection as if you used a 60 weight oil.
Hence, 10W60.
Now, if you used a straight 60W (no second number on the bottle, because it's all 60W) you will run quieter.
Cancel that oil order, it won't be quieter save your $$.

I'll stand corrected if anyone disagrees with what I stated about the oil..............just saying, no argument intended.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

No Cents

:up:
thanks Panzer...but I've known for quit a long time what the #'s stood for when it comes to different blends of oil.
0W gets the oil faster to the top of an engine vs 10W or 20W...and the 2nd # is for the thickness of the oil.
It's too late on cancelling the order...it's already in the bike.

Ray

DOM

I wouldn't drain perfectly good oil out of the bike to switch to any other oil, but I would consider this stuff on the next oil change that I have to do anyway.

No Cents

My last oil report on the Liqui Moly 10W60.
I rode the bike home from work today and the outside temp was 92*...so I took the long way home for a little 25 mile ride.
I pulled the bike into the barn and turned the bike off and the dipstick read 210*. I did a couple things in the barn and walked back over to the bike about 3- 4 minutes later and checked it again...the oil temp went up to 214*...and that was with the bike being shut off.

My final impressions of this oil...is a positive one.
What I have seen is my bike respond with lower operating temperatures...but I honestly have to say I haven't really noticed any difference in my valve train as far as noises go...but my valve train is not overly noisy to begin with.

Will I buy this oil and use it again...yes.

Ray

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Mountainman streetbob

Had a buddy at Road Glide Forums http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?p=2052545#post2052545 post this interesting set of numbers.

Here's some of the highlights compared to Mobile 1 VTwin..

Mobil 1 V-Twin / LIQUI MOLI
Density, g/ml @ 15.6°C (ASTM D4052)                     0.87 / 0.855
Flash Point, °C (ASTM D93),                                      214 / 240
Pour Point,°C (ASTM D97)                                           42 / -30
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ 40°C (ASTM D445)           72.3 / 155
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ 100°C (ASTM D445)         20.8 / 23.8
Viscosity Index                                                         142 / 185

It has a higher flash point, greater Viscosity Index and better viscosity at 100.. I'm surprised that the pour numbers are lower.

I'll let you be the judge.. but would probably work better in the warm weather areas..

My special thanks to CNM Tuner....

:hug:

Tazmanken

Ebay   

Liqui Moly 2024 Race Tech GT-1 10W-60 Synthetic Motor Oil 5 liters BMW M3 M5 M6
The item is listed as a Top Rated Plus item
FAST 'N FREE - Get it on or before Tue, Jul. 29

$44.00
Buy It Now
Free shipping
2013 Ultra Limited Vance&Hines Power Duals slash cut slip on,power commander v

Jaycee1964

Well,  I just got back from WV. 1526 miles since Tuesday.  Temps from 75* to 85*, from sea level to 2850ft above.  With and without humidity, all Highway miles from 75-85MPH and the oil temp never went above 225* and averaged about 215*.  I know my motor is much quieter at idle with this oil.  As far as at RPM I really didn't notice any measurable diff. 
I like the oil so far and will continue using it.   Not a miracle fluid but I'm impressed enough to continue with it.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

r0de_runr

I'll give it a try in my 110.  My motor is very particular about viscosity.  Once I get a thousand miles on an oil change, it starts singing and ticking.  Fresh oil makes it purr.  I recently rode 633 miles in one day with temps between 95 and 103 degrees ambient and a tail wind.  Not much cooling going on.  TTS Flight Recorder reported head temps north of 350 for most of the day.  20W50 dino Oil was toast, like water when cool.  Changed it to Redline 20w50 and it is still doing a good job at 2500 miles of summer heat and highway riding.

Ordered from the eBay seller, he is just NW of Ft Worth TX.  So I had to pay sales tax.  Local NAPA wants $12 by the qt/ltr.

I remember reading a bike magazine article many years ago, late 70's, that tested 20w50 vs 10w40 in metric bikes like the then-popular 1000cc naked or standard bikes.  They said the lighter 10w40 moved around the motor more quickly and therefore carried heat away faster.  They recorded cooler temps with the 10w40.

I'm wondering about the lifters and how a thinner (cold) oil will perform.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

BUBBIE

"""I'm wondering about the lifters and how a thinner (cold) oil will perform."""

Seems to me that a 10w to a 20w to a 50w.....  :oil:

Cold:
The 10 will get IN quicker and Leave Quicker
the 20 will get in slower and leave slower
the 50 will really get in there slower and leave there really slower

BUT :  Once ALL 3 are Hot the difference is minimal on the flowing.
Each will be different but the same results.

JMO

signed....BUBBIE

Mountainman streetbob

Well I now have 855 miles on the new oil and have been running it around town 2 up in 90+ heat with no wind this weekend, engine oil temps 170-220. The top end is noticeably quieter. NOT stone cold 100* oil temp quiet but not a sewing machine. The oil appears to continually run AT LEAST 20-25 DEGREES cooler with outside air temps from 85*-95* compared to straight 50 wt dyno oil.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.  :teeth:

Mountainman streetbob

Quote from: BUBBIE on July 28, 2014, 08:27:48 AM
"""I'm wondering about the lifters and how a thinner (cold) oil will perform."""

Seems to me that a 10w to a 20w to a 50w.....  :oil:

Cold:
The 10 will get IN quicker and Leave Quicker
the 20 will get in slower and leave slower
the 50 will really get in there slower and leave there really slower

BUT :  Once ALL 3 are Hot the difference is minimal on the flowing.
Each will be different but the same results.

JMO

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie I like what your saying, but I have tried at least 5 different weights of oils in 3 different twin cams and they all sounded like sewing machines when the ambient temp hits 95* out here. That motor gets up about 230*-250* oil temp and the oil thins out and the top end sounds between bad and awful.

The only way I have been able to get these bikes top ends quiet is to run straight 60 weight oil... (multiple brands)
20w-60 redline works nearly as well.
15w-50 and 20w-50 are loud
10w-40 is really loud

I liked the idea of a 10w-60 that was a full synthetic.
#1 it is available local at $8.49 a quart VS $16.85 a quart including tax or shipping (I am cheap!)
#2 I like Napa! It's nice to go up, say hi, shoot the breeze, have a soda-beer-smoke depending on the napa!
#3 The longer the oil will maintain it's flow characteristics and it's viscosity the longer the lifters will do their job and the less noise you will have in the top end from slack in the lifters.

So far its working ok. I woke up and walked out the door this morning and the air was 83* and muggy. Bike purred like a kitten on the way in.

BUBBIE

Yes I agree THAT the 60 is the Key... Whether it be 10w/20w/ straight 60 that 60 is a  big difference over the 50...

I also noted a BIG difference in top-end noise from my 20w50 Redline to 20w60 redline...  Especially in Az. HEAT :oil:

Viscosity is the KEY... HEAT eventually will win out and OVER HOT will change all... NOISY

signed....BUBBIE

added straight in RED....

Mountainman streetbob

:up: :up: :up:      Your a scholar and a gentleman and there are damn few of us left!

Mountainman streetbob

1300 mile report. 95*-100* ambient temp oil temp 220* cruising 50mph-80mph 2 up loaded. Stop for accident on 2 lane and 6 mile traffic jam temps reached 250* still no sewing machine sounds, a little soft metallic tapping... Very pleased so far...

Anyone having any issues be they good or bad?