April 28, 2024, 09:43:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

3 different tranny trap doors

Started by No Cents, July 30, 2014, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSpencer

Quote from: Max Headflow on July 31, 2014, 07:00:06 PM
Quote from: DrSpencer on July 31, 2014, 04:17:22 PM
Quote from: Max Headflow on July 31, 2014, 04:15:00 PM
Quote from: DrSpencer on July 31, 2014, 04:07:53 PM
What does the Baker Street Door offer the casual rider who has a mild build (103", SE255's, etc.)?

Thanks

A nice 7 speed gearbox.. Manual primary tensioners, pulleys, +1 oil pan..

Max

So the Baker Street Door offers little to the non-racer with an average build?

Thanks

Well. The bearings are retained with a 6-bolt steel 1/8″ plate, phantom clutch lever movement is reduced by 90%. Improved transmission function is complemented with Function Formed design cues.

Max

No doubt, the Baker looks like a beefy unit. But how does your description translate to real-world riding applications? Does the Street Door make it easier to find neutral, allow for smoother shifting, etc?

(disclaimer: I don't know what phantom clutch movement means)

Thanks, again.

jam65

In high horsepower applications, the aftermarket door helps to prevent transmission shafts from flexing by adding wider bearings that hold these gear set shafts. Riders with bikes running less than 120 square probably won't need this part.
I pulled this number just for the fact that I never had an issue with my 107" in the 120 hp/tq range. When I put 30 more or so hp/tq, the transmission started to loose the battle so to speak. It may or may not be something to think about installing but in my case it's use can only be positive insurance.
Do some homework to decide and go fro there.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: jam65 on July 31, 2014, 08:54:00 PM
In high horsepower applications, the aftermarket door helps to prevent transmission shafts from flexing by adding wider bearings that hold these gear set shafts. Riders with bikes running less than 120 square probably won't need this part.
I pulled this number just for the fact that I never had an issue with my 107" in the 120 hp/tq range. When I put 30 more or so hp/tq, the transmission started to loose the battle so to speak. It may or may not be something to think about installing but in my case it's use can only be positive insurance.
Do some homework to decide and go fro there.

Not sure how they keep the shafts from flexing.. Wider bearings can take more load and not die tho.. I've killed stock TD bearings (5 speed)..

Max

hrdtail78

Quote from: Max Headflow on July 31, 2014, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: No Cents on July 31, 2014, 07:22:56 PM
So Max...what do you think of the top one...the Georges Garage unit?
He says it is designed to eliminate the flexing just like the other two. It looks like all three upgraded the bearings...so is it a coin toss and the dollar savings the best way to go?
I talked to George and I can pick one up for 2 "C" notes.
That's a hell of a deal compared to the prices of the other two.  :nix:

Ray

Right now I'd go for the baker in polished aluminium. Push the bearings out and PC the cover textured black..  I like the the way they control axial thrust..

Max

Baker has sent me a couple of trap doors unassembled.  Coating to your liking and assemble it.  I hate reusing bearing after they are pushed this way and that.  I understand guys reuse bearings all the time.  Not me, unless I understand pushing outer race, inner race.  Example is clutch hub bearings.  One time use.  You are paying $50 at my shop.
Semper Fi

No Cents

Joe...here was my 1st contact thru E-Bay to George when I seen he offered a trap door.
I asked him the difference between the Baker unit and his and would he take $200.00 for one.
This was his reply to me.

Ray

[attach=0]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 31, 2014, 11:18:26 PM
Quote from: Max Headflow on July 31, 2014, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: No Cents on July 31, 2014, 07:22:56 PM
So Max...what do you think of the top one...the Georges Garage unit?
He says it is designed to eliminate the flexing just like the other two. It looks like all three upgraded the bearings...so is it a coin toss and the dollar savings the best way to go?
I talked to George and I can pick one up for 2 "C" notes.
That's a hell of a deal compared to the prices of the other two.  :nix:

Ray

Right now I'd go for the baker in polished aluminium. Push the bearings out and PC the cover textured black..  I like the the way they control axial thrust..

Max

Baker has sent me a couple of trap doors unassembled.  Coating to your liking and assemble it.  I hate reusing bearing after they are pushed this way and that.  I understand guys reuse bearings all the time.  Not me, unless I understand pushing outer race, inner race.  Example is clutch hub bearings.  One time use.  You are paying $50 at my shop.

I agree.. I was thinking I could catch the outer edge of the bearing. Not seen one..

Max

hrdtail78

You can catch the outer easily.  If you use heat.  They drop right in.
Semper Fi

BVHOG

I have the Baker door that came with the F6F kit and I can tell you there is still some clutch lever  bounce on decel
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

No Cents

Quote from: BVHOG on August 01, 2014, 11:09:19 AM
I have the Baker door that came with the F6F kit and I can tell you there is still some clutch lever  bounce on decel
why Bob?

No Cents

I ended up buying George's Garage trap door.
I figured I'd give it a try because I don't know of any product that has come from George being bad.

Ray

rbabos

August 01, 2014, 04:29:53 PM #35 Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:40:14 PM by rbabos
In reality, it would be next to impossible to stop it completely. Helicals will always cause forces in and out on the shafts and there's always some door flex and bearing play. All this amplified by the clutch release mechanism. Way better then stock though.
Ron

WideWildGlide

Ray got a link to George's trap doors i couldnt find it

No Cents

It's not on his web site yet.
He has a listing for it on E-Bay for $279.95 plus $12.50 to ship in the USA.
Go to E-Bay and punch in "trap door for a Harley tranny" in their search bar. It will come up.

Ray

joe_lyons

How about some tapered bearings instead of ball bearings?  I know space is very limited but maybe.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

Admiral Akbar

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

No Cents

BVHOG

Quote from: rbabos on August 01, 2014, 04:29:53 PM
In reality, it would be next to impossible to stop it completely. Helicals will always cause forces in and out on the shafts and there's always some door flex and bearing play. All this amplified by the clutch release mechanism. Way better then stock though.
Ron
Good explanation  and yes far better than stock
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

saddle tramp

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: pigfixer on August 02, 2014, 09:58:44 AM
Quote from: joe_lyons on August 02, 2014, 05:15:11 AM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on August 01, 2014, 10:12:17 PM
Install straight cut gears.
Andrews would make them for me right?

:pop:  :hyst:

I'd bet he'd do it.. About 100-200k for NRE and a minimum purchase of 100 sets would get him going..

Max

hrdtail78

There are already option out there for putting straight cuts into the cruise drive transmissions.
Semper Fi

saddle tramp

Quote from: hrdtail78 on August 02, 2014, 11:00:54 AM
There are already option out there for putting straight cuts into the cruise drive transmissions.

Have you got a link or two for that ?

WideWildGlide

Thanks Ray for the link and im really following this post as i feel the 30,000 miles of abuse is taking its toll on my trans

hrdtail78

Quote from: pigfixer on August 02, 2014, 11:13:26 AM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on August 02, 2014, 11:00:54 AM

Have you got a link or two for that ?

I was wrong.  They only go up to 06 in FL applications.
Semper Fi