April 27, 2024, 11:48:39 PM

News:

3 different tranny trap doors

Started by No Cents, July 30, 2014, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Cents

July 30, 2014, 06:10:25 PM Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:25:45 PM by No Cents
 Anyone know of any difference in these three trap doors that makes one any better than the other?
They are all three made in the USA and have caged bearings.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attachimg=3]

added later:
the reason I ask is I found the top one for about 1/2 the price of the other two big named brands price.
It also made of 6061 aluminum like the other two and looks to have the same bearings.   :nix:
The only thing I notice is the oil passages on the top one is larger...which I don't think that's a bad thing.

Ray

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

2006FXDCI

Ray , Does the top one use a bearing retaining plate instead of snap rings ?
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

jam65

July 30, 2014, 07:18:41 PM #2 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:30:30 PM by jam65
In my case the shifter fork rods did not install tight in the Baker door. Assembly trying to be done horizontally with the trans. in the bike was next to impossible because of the slop fitment.( rods need to be snug fit to go into case recesses) R&D called them on this issue and Baker was looking into it. Jims or Georges if Baker hasn't changed things up. I like the deal with Jims in that they supply new shift rods with their door, Baker does not.

saddle tramp

I like the top one just because there's no advertising on it.
and the hole are bigger so it's lighter and will drop your 1/8 mile times down at least a 1/2 second !

jam65

Great advice for a serious technical thread asking for some honest input.

FSG

QuoteI like the top one just because there's no advertising on it.

:agree:

but then I like the 2nd one because of the steel insert bearing retainer 

koko3052

splitting_lanes

The Jims is working good for me.  When I bought it Baker didn't have a trap door listed on thier web site.

I think the larger bearing is what makes the most difference, and all the material holding that bearing in place.

kd

Is the top one C&C machined billet and the other 2 based on a casting?
KD

No Cents

July 31, 2014, 02:35:56 AM #9 Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:43:34 AM by No Cents
Quote from: jam65 on July 30, 2014, 07:18:41 PM
In my case the shifter fork rods did not install tight in the Baker door. Assembly trying to be done horizontally with the trans. in the bike was next to impossible because of the slop fitment.( rods need to be snug fit to go into case recesses) R&D called them on this issue and Baker was looking into it. Jims or Georges if Baker hasn't changed things up. I like the deal with Jims in that they supply new shift rods with their door, Baker does not.

kd...yes this is a CNC machined piece that is advertised to do the same thing and add the needed strength to reduce flexing for big inch motors. The Jim's door is advertised as a machined piece, and the Baker door as well. The only stand out between the three besides the oil passages is the added 1/8" 6 hole steel bracket that Baker uses to support the bearings....and the Jim's unit does come with the rods where the other two don't.

Jay...so you have heard about the George's trap door before? I just stumbled across it looking on E-Bay. Apparently the guy makes a few different products at his machine shop. It does look like a quality piece...for a decent price when looking at the other two.

Ray

No Cents

Quote from: splitting_lanes on July 30, 2014, 08:59:58 PM
The Jims is working good for me.  When I bought it Baker didn't have a trap door listed on thier web site.

I think the larger bearing is what makes the most difference, and all the material holding that bearing in place.
that's what I was kind of thinking too. That's why I posted the pictures of the three for comparison. I know the Baker unit uses the plate instead of the clips to hold the bearings in place...but I was wondering if the clips are good enough to do the job and the plate that Baker uses is over kill  :nix:
I think the key is to have the stronger/larger caged bearings in place to remove the flexing that the stock unit allows...but I wanted more opinions on the matter.

pigfixer...only an 1/2 second gain  :dgust: I'm not trying to improve times doing this...just make the bikes tranny stronger.
I'm just trying to take the possibility of the flexing out of the equation while I've got the bike up on the lift replacing clutch parts after last weekends trip to the drag strip. It's just another thing that I need to look at doing.

Ray

kd

I'm thinking the Baker with it's anchor plate is more effective if you use the 2010 and up transmission with the helical cut gears.   :nix:
KD

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: FSG on July 30, 2014, 08:47:50 PM
QuoteI like the top one just because there's no advertising on it.

:agree:

but then I like the 2nd one because of the steel insert bearing retainer

I like the Jim's cuz you can mill the name off and paint it textured black.

Max

WideWildGlide

:pop: sadly im next on this list so im following

hrdtail78

I like the baker and have installed a bunch of them.  I have no experience with the GG trap door, but have plenty of his tools.  Most of my specialty tools are GG.  I am sure that trap door is as nice as everything else he does.

I am not a fan of Jim's.  I have dealt with them enough to never expect good customer service.
Semper Fi

Burch753

no experience with the other two... but two seperate Baker trap doors and I am very pleased!!!

Everything I have every utilized from Baker has been spot on, and good service as well. The 7sp tranny is a worthwhile feature (if its offered for your machine?).... I mean while you are at it, you can gear enough to launch in 2nd which alleviates the 1-N-2 shift... Thats what I did....

strokerjlk

After the launch . It's all over . Unless the front end breaks center . You don't touch the lever again.
I have tons of passes on my 6 sp with the stock setup .
If I had rays money I would upgrade though  :teeth:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

hrdtail78

If I had Ray's money I would look at the ratio and trap door that comes in the FAT5.
Semper Fi

DrSpencer

What does the Baker Street Door offer the casual rider who has a mild build (103", SE255's, etc.)?

Thanks

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: DrSpencer on July 31, 2014, 04:07:53 PM
What does the Baker Street Door offer the casual rider who has a mild build (103", SE255's, etc.)?

Thanks

A nice 7 speed gearbox.. Manual primary tensioners, pulleys, +1 oil pan..

Max

DrSpencer

Quote from: Max Headflow on July 31, 2014, 04:15:00 PM

Thanks

Max

So the Baker Street Door offers little to the non-racer with an average build?

Thanks

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: DrSpencer on July 31, 2014, 04:17:22 PM
Quote from: Max Headflow on July 31, 2014, 04:15:00 PM

Thanks

Max

So the Baker Street Door offers little to the non-racer with an average build?

Thanks

Well. The bearings are retained with a 6-bolt steel 1/8″ plate, phantom clutch lever movement is reduced by 90%. Improved transmission function is complemented with Function Formed design cues.

Max

No Cents

So Max...what do you think of the top one...the Georges Garage unit?
He says it is designed to eliminate the flexing just like the other two. It looks like all three upgraded the bearings...so is it a coin toss and the dollar savings the best way to go?
I talked to George and I can pick one up for 2 "C" notes.
That's a hell of a deal compared to the prices of the other two.  :nix:

Ray

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: No Cents on July 31, 2014, 07:22:56 PM
He says it is designed to eliminate the flexing just like the other two. It looks like all three upgraded the bearings...so is it a coin toss and the dollar savings the best way to go?

Ray

Right now I'd go for the baker in polished aluminium. Push the bearings out and PC the cover textured black..  I like the the way they control axial thrust..

Max

joe_lyons

Quote from: No Cents on July 31, 2014, 07:22:56 PM

Ray
Did you ask George about the bearing retainer?  I've got a Jim's on order but its back ordered until the 12th. I get a bit of a deal getting stuff through drag and Jim's is the only one that drag has.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901