May 08, 2024, 12:52:58 PM

News:

thinking...square

Started by No Cents, November 20, 2014, 06:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Cents

Quote from: BVHOG on November 21, 2014, 10:40:55 AM
Love it, I have a 120 inch 4 3/8th stroke in the works right now, always love another combination. Let me know if I can help with a custom cam
when I get that far...I might take you up on that Bob!  :up:
Thanks for the offer to help.

Rob...yes I'm pretty much stuck with the B2/B3 heads if I want to go with the S&S 4 3/8" bore T2 cases...they have a bigger bolt pattern for that bore. The heads require the 70mm T/Hog.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Buffalo

The most fun I've had with my 01' Dyna involved a 95" kit, some J&E 8.5/1 forged pistons, SE204 cams and a Magnacharger running thru a air to air intercooler drawing thru a 42mm Mikuni.
Boost was set at 12lbs, revlimit set at 6500rpm. Stock gearing at 3.15/1.
I surprised a lot of other brands on the road including 1200 BMW's and an 1100 Turbo'd Honda.
Nothing quite like the rush of that engine pulling towards redline. It got faster and accelerated harder as boost climbed, could easily 270klms/hr ( would run into rev limiter in high gear).
Its only drawback was gas mileage, which hovered around 30mpg at 110klm/hr. It would burn close to a gallon in a mile at wot.
At the time I liked to make 30 day trips, so fuel costs finally convinced me to swap out this for a S&S T124. It runs 47mpg at 130kl/hr with 2.88/1 gears. The little 95'I still think was faster and mine was 100% reliable. I had thoughts of doing fuel injection, but after being told costs would run 5-6K, I went for the 124. 3 years of umlimited fun tho!

1FSTRK

Quote from: No Cents on November 21, 2014, 12:01:00 PM
Quote from: BVHOG on November 21, 2014, 10:40:55 AM
Love it, I have a 120 inch 4 3/8th stroke in the works right now, always love another combination. Let me know if I can help with a custom cam
when I get that far...I might take you up on that Bob!  :up:
Thanks for the offer to help.

Rob...yes I'm pretty much stuck with the B2/B3 heads if I want to go with the S&S 4 3/8" bore T2 cases...they have a bigger bolt pattern for that bore. The heads require the 70mm T/Hog.

Ray

Ray are you planning on an S&S crank?
The color combination sounds awesome, any thoughts on what air cleaner set up for the 70mm Hog?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

No Cents

yes Eric...I'm leaning towards the S&S flywheels...but I'm going to call John @ Darkhorse to see what he has to offer me as an option too.
Up to bat first is to get the cases and then have them machined for the internal oiling system.
I'm wanting to get the rotating assembly balanced as close to perfect as I can. I want it smooth as silk for some long distance touring.
I haven't given the air cleaner much thought to tell you the truth. My main focus after getting the cases back from being done will be just deciding on exactly where I want the compression set at and what are my piston options going to be with the flywheels I decide on. I think John uses a little taller H-Beam rod in his wheels and the S&S rods are 7.659" long. So pistons will be a major discussion between myself with S&S and John with what my options are going to be if I decide to go with the H-Beam Darkhorse flywheel.
Once I have the pistons in hand I'll send the entire bottom end out for balancing and assembly. By the time I get all that back I think the spring flowers will be blooming and it will be riding season again.

Ray

1FSTRK

Successful projects start with a good plan and it sound like your on your way with this one. It will be great to go on the voyage with you again, looking forward to your up dates.

I know this is the wrong thread but looking forward to the up coming dyno trip for the other two bikes as well. :up: :up:
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

No Cents

if you don't mind Eric...let me know what Vic is using for pistons and cylinders in the one he is building. I want to look at all my options before choosing.
Is Vic using the 4 3/8" bore T2 cases?

Ray

jam65

Time for a new thread Ray called "going square".

06roadglide

I'd look hard into all ductile iron cylinders.

No Cents

Quote from: 06roadglide on November 22, 2014, 12:56:31 AM
I'd look hard into all ductile iron cylinders.
I have and am looking hard...just don't know if I want to run external oil lines yet.

Ray

hrdtail78

Quote from: No Cents on November 21, 2014, 03:30:22 PM
I'm wanting to get the rotating assembly balanced as close to perfect as I can. I want it smooth as silk for some long distance touring.

If you are going this far.  I would look into having something made for ya.  I would look into what Tman offers.  He recently did a rotating assy for a 131 (different stoke) I put together and it was a work of art.
Semper Fi

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

No Cents

I've talked to a couple people today and they said the ductile cylinder wouldn't be the smartest way to go for a touring bike. It was suggested to me to go with the S&S cylinders again...which I think it would be a smart move beings it will be for their larger bolt pattern cases and will be a perfect match...so no custom cylinder would be needed.
I will get the natural (silver) finished cylinders and find someone that can polish them up for me.
Any of you guys know someone that polishes cylinders to give a finish like these on the finned S&S cylinders?

[attach=0]

Ray

rbabos

I'm sure there's someone willing to spend days on them. However you will spend the rest of your life keep them looking good. Other thing is, cyls will cool better with a rougher textured coating then bare aluminum.
Ron

Matt C

Any plating shop can polish them like that. Plan on spending allot of money too.

And - chrome don't get you home.

Soft 02

What about the silver PC like the twincams cases?
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Admiral Akbar

06roadglide

I agree that aluminum cylinders will run cooler and that s&s are a good cylinder but just can't agree that an all iron cylinder couldn't handle touring duty. They're so much more stable and let's face it...they were used for many decades prior to the evo. 
Most of the heat is in the heads and blasting down the hiway all day would give plenty of air cooling. Now sitting in traffic at rallies or parade duty is where an aluminum cylinder would benefit the better cooling but then again the iron cylinder could handle the heat better.  Pros and cons to both.

No Cents

Max...it's hip to be square.
nice one!   :up:

Ray

joe_lyons

What's the cost of the ductile iron cyls?

No Cents

not cheap Joe.
The S&S finned ductile cylinders I posted a picture of are a little over $2800.00...at dealer cost.   :doh:
but replacement sleeves are only $150.00

Ray

joe_lyons

I wonder how much Randy at hyperformance would make them for?

hrdtail78

Last I check around $1200.  I have a set on my build and they are outstanding.  Have to go with natural case, heads and coated cylinders.
Semper Fi

No Cents

Quote from: hrdtail78 on November 22, 2014, 06:29:59 PM
Last I check around $1200.  I have a set on my build and they are outstanding.  Have to go with natural case, heads and coated cylinders.
were those the finned ductile cylinders for $1200.00 from Randy?
I'm going to have to call him and see if he has anything for the T2 cases yet.

Ray

Jaycee1964

If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.