May 08, 2024, 04:32:46 PM

News:

thinking...square

Started by No Cents, November 20, 2014, 06:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Cents

November 20, 2014, 06:09:28 PM Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:13:30 PM by No Cents
 I'm just think out loud here guys as nothing is set in stone yet and this is only in the planning stages.
I've been thinking about getting some pieces together so I can get ready to build me a 4 3/8" bore X 4 3/8" stroke square engine I've always wanted. It will have either the B2/B3 heads on it with the 70mm T/Hog. I will have the heads loved on a little more than the stock castings. I don't know if they will need it...but I know a pretty damn good head porter that I will send them to and turn him loose on them.  :wink:
I'm thinking of setting it up at some where between 10.5- 10.7 compression with maybe looking into having a custom ground cam made for it...something similar to the Tman 660SM...but they will have to be in a gear drive version. I'm not looking for anything radical...I just want instant super smooth power off idle to 5800 rpm's.
What ever I decide to build...it will have the S&S 4 3/8" bore cases...so I'm going to go ahead and buy the T2 cases probably here in the next few weeks and send them out to be machined so it can use the factory oiling system thru the tranny and I won't have to mess with running the external oil lines. That way I'll at least have the cases ready to go for when I'm able to buy more parts along the way.
I was thinking of going with different color combo this time. I'm leaning towards black cases, with silver polished cylinders, and all black heads with no highlighted fins...and just the S&S logo highlighted on each head.
I do plan on making me another stainless pipe for this engine too...I just haven't made my mind up on where I want the exhaust to end at. I told Randy today it was going to be stepped drag pipes   :hyst:
I hope to have it all together sitting on the engine stand by mid summer.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

hotbo

sounds great Ray!!! i have always wanted a all Square motor as well  :up:

cant wait to see what comes about  :bike:

Travis  :beer:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

Slammers

Do you know what bike you are going to install it into, or is that yet to be decided?  :pop:
Slam '04 FXDL

Soft 02

Sounds good. I originally wanted to do something close to square but, well you know how that goes.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

kd

I knew it.  :doh: I would have bet money on it. When Randy made that "Blah Blah Blah" comment (reply 2740) in your "cat out of the bag" thread, I knew that the game was on. You 2 are instigators.  :slap:
KD

No Cents

Quote from: kd on November 20, 2014, 06:27:59 PM
I knew it.  :doh: I would have bet money on it. When Randy made that "Blah Blah Blah" comment (reply 2740) in your "cat out of the bag" thread, I knew that the game was on. You 2 are instigators.  :slap:
it's been in the works...way before that.   :wink:

Ray

1FSTRK

Sounds great Ray, you should get great results from that combo. Vic is in the processes of building that exact engine right now. I will try to post the results when it gets on the dyno if the owner of the bike is OK with it, might just give you some ideas on cam grinds.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

groundhog143

Mid summer :hyst: somebody probably has dibs on the 124 already :potstir:

1FSTRK

Quote from: groundhog144 on November 20, 2014, 06:53:49 PM
Mid summer :hyst: somebody probably has dibs on the 124 already :potstir:

I bet this new baby is going in the new retirement bike
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

kd

Hmmmmm,   :soda:   a 131 RGU,   :potstir:  touring in style,   :up:  >:D
KD

TorQuePimp

Go bigger bore....along with the 4.375 stroke....and the B3 heads

Just don't tell everyone  :kick:

Soft 02

Nothing wrong with being a square....
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Matt C

Put a turbo on it. Forget that big d--k contest. There's no need for high compression,
fancy heads, fancy cams or none of that crap. Kill em with boost, works every time.

Make sure you got a stout crank, good pistons, free flowing exhaust and you're golden.
You could take care of business with a well prepped 88ci. The plumbing looks totally cool too!

No Cents

It will be a NA engine for sure.
I never cared for the looks of all that plumbing hanging off the side of the bike.
I'm still crunching numbers on the Big Boys calculator to get the combo I'm looking for.

Ray

rbabos

Quote from: MCE on November 20, 2014, 08:17:42 PM
Put a turbo on it. Forget that big d--k contest. There's no need for high compression,
fancy heads, fancy cams or none of that crap. Kill em with boost, works every time.

Make sure you got a stout crank, good pistons, free flowing exhaust and you're golden.
You could take care of business with a well prepped 88ci. The plumbing looks totally cool too!
Took me a while to clue into that also. If I do anything to the v rod it will be turbo. Nice quiet stock engine fed 8 psi develops a real attitude fast being over square. Bone stock components still reliable to 160 hp, plus in conditions of no boost it's still a bone stock engine and not stressing itself. I personally like the look of all that mechanical "Potty mouth". Best part is it's removable, slap in the previous calibration and it's back to stock again and the kit can be sold or reused on the next model.
Ron

rob71458

Will you have to use S&S heads with those cases?
2007 SERK 124, S&S jugs,SE110 heads,640G's,11.5, 58/62 HPI,Bandit,DD7,Bzilla

Barrett

Nothin too radical just some B3 heads and a 70mm Throttle Hog.. :smiled:

Matt C

Quote from: rbabos on November 21, 2014, 05:46:13 AM

Took me a while to clue into that also. If I do anything to the v rod it will be turbo. Nice quiet stock engine fed 8 psi develops a real attitude fast being over square. Bone stock components still reliable to 160 hp, plus in conditions of no boost it's still a bone stock engine and not stressing itself. I personally like the look of all that mechanical "Potty mouth".
Ron

I love the look and the sound. Those stainless "stack of dimes" TIG welds are a thing
of beauty.

We built a turbo Kawasaki 900 Z1 back in the old days. There wasn't anything around
that could even keep it in sight (much less keep up with it).

Ahhh, the young and crazy days.

rbabos

Quote from: MCE on November 21, 2014, 07:37:37 AM
Quote from: rbabos on November 21, 2014, 05:46:13 AM

Took me a while to clue into that also. If I do anything to the v rod it will be turbo. Nice quiet stock engine fed 8 psi develops a real attitude fast being over square. Bone stock components still reliable to 160 hp, plus in conditions of no boost it's still a bone stock engine and not stressing itself. I personally like the look of all that mechanical "Potty mouth".
Ron

I love the look and the sound. Those stainless "stack of dimes" TIG welds are a thing
of beauty.

We built a turbo Kawasaki 900 Z1 back in the old days. There wasn't anything around
that could even keep it in sight (much less keep up with it).

Ahhh, the young and crazy days.
That bike was no slow poke out of the box. Yup, I lived the 70s too. 52 pan chopper back then.
Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on November 21, 2014, 07:45:08 AM

That bike was no slow poke out of the box. Yup, I lived the 70s too. 52 pan chopper back then.
Ron

Me too! 52FL1226

'57 straight leg frame, late model dual disc front end, Pan lower, Shovel upper, Andrews A, S&S B, 11:1 pistons, real gasoline for the 11:1....         :koolaid:

build it

Quote from: torqueinc on November 20, 2014, 07:31:49 PM
  Go bigger bore....along with the 4.375 stroke....and the B3 heads

Just don't tell everyone  :kick:

How big of a bore could you go with a 4.375" stroke?
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

Jaycee1964

With that TB it'll be a task to get smooth power.  That'll prolly have some crazy instant outta the hole responsiveness.  I would downsize the TB a bit for drivability reasons.

If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

hrdtail78

IIRC the bike is TBW and the progressivity should help with this, but maxing out the table can kill response also.   
Semper Fi

BVHOG

Love it, I have a 120 inch 4 3/8th stroke in the works right now, always love another combination. Let me know if I can help with a custom cam
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Matt C

Quote from: rbabos on November 21, 2014, 07:45:08 AM
Ron

My older brother had a pan chopper. He always wanted to ride my Z1 so I rode that pan. It
was way cool, wish I had either one of those now.