April 27, 2024, 02:46:40 PM

News:

switching from TTS to PV

Started by 06roadglide, March 24, 2015, 05:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

06roadglide

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this...

I'm researching switching from a TTS to a Power Vision.  When I do this I MUST reflash the ECU from the TTS back to the stock program.  IS this correct?

I know my original (stock) flash is long gone and I can't recover it.  What do you do in this instance?

Or can the PV now reflash over a existing TTS flash?  Just purchase a PV, select a program and flash it.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: 06roadglide on March 24, 2015, 05:43:11 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong about this...

I'm researching switching from a TTS to a Power Vision.  When I do this I MUST reflash the ECU from the TTS back to the stock program.  IS this correct?
you must reflash back to stock, yes.

I know my original (stock) flash is long gone and I can't recover it.  What do you do in this instance?
phone Steve Cole @ TTS.  Did you not upload the original to the TTS repository for safe keeping?

Or can the PV now reflash over a existing TTS flash?  Just purchase a PV, select a program and flash it.
nope.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

06roadglide

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 05:45:30 AM

phone Steve Cole @ TTS.  Did you not upload the original to the TTS repository for safe keeping?

I know I saved it but it was on another computer and since then lost the hard drive in it.  I didn't save it to a flash drive for safe keeping either.  If it's on my current computer I can't identify it by a file name either.  I'm just screwed on that part.

UltraNutZ

do a search on your computer's C: for *.mte and include hidden files and folders.  If it's there, it will be found

Durwood

Fuel Moto can also unlock your ECM.

Buy the Powervision from them and I am sure Jamie and the crew will be more than happy to help you.

06roadglide

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 05:54:12 AM
do a search on your computer's C: for *.mte and include hidden files and folders.  If it's there, it will be found

Thanks, I'll try that.

will any stock 06 flash work or is it VIN specific?

UltraNutZ

it's vin specific.  unless you changed the name of the file, when it was saved it was saved as the VIN#.mte

blue or black TTS VCI?

if blue, the mte file is likely on the VCI

06roadglide

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 06:00:27 AM
it's vin specific.  unless you changed the name of the file, when it was saved it was saved as the VIN#.mte

blue or black TTS VCI?

It's the black one.  If it's saved using the VIN in the file name that'll help a ton to find it!  Thanks  I didn't know that.

06roadglide

Quote from: Durwood on March 24, 2015, 05:56:17 AM

Buy the Powervision from them and I am sure Jamie and the crew will be more than happy to help you.

Thanks Durwood, if I go through FM I have a dealer for them local to me.  I called them and They're gonna look into for me. 

UltraNutZ

When did they start doing this?

lonewolf

Why would you want to change?

UltraNutZ

March 24, 2015, 08:19:01 AM #11 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:40:37 AM by UltraNutZ
Quote from: lonewolf on March 24, 2015, 08:18:12 AM

my thoughts.. 

Durwood

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 08:04:37 AM

Been a while,a couple of years IIRC.

06roadglide

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 08:04:37 AM

I haven't purchased a PV at this time. 

06roadglide

To be able to change tunes on long trips if I encounter fuels problems and not have to pack my large laptop.
Also to be able to install WB sensors if I decide to.

06roadglide

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 08:19:01 AM

my thoughts..    :koolaid:

:hyst:  No koolaid for me.  Just be nice to able to monitor things without the use of a laptop sitting on the tank trying to hold it, watch it what's going on and drive at the same time.  The holding it part is the hardest, sometimes dangerous part. 

vafatboy1

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 06:00:27 AM

blue or black TTS VCI?

My TTS default file name for the saved mte file is stock.mte

I had it on a computer that crashed too.  When I needed it I put the hard drive from that laptop in an external drive and was able to recover it.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: 06roadglide on March 24, 2015, 08:43:13 AM
Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 08:19:01 AM

my thoughts..    :koolaid:

:hyst:  No koolaid for me.  Just be nice to able to monitor things without the use of a laptop sitting on the tank trying to hold it, watch it what's going on and drive at the same time.  The holding it part is the hardest, sometimes dangerous part. 

just razzing you..

BVHOG

Why switch, your kinda locked into anyway, If I already had one (TTS) I would use it. If I were buying new I would buy the power vision for the very reason of the TTS locking out the others.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

hrdtail78

Quote from: BVHOG on March 24, 2015, 09:27:58 AM
Why switch, your kinda locked into anyway, If I already had one (TTS) I would use it. If I were buying new I would buy the power vision for the very reason of the TTS locking out the others.

I'd stick with the TTS also.  I like the way the LTFT tables are set up for actually riding the bike and not for the EPA.  IMO This trumps having all the problems I have never had with a TTS locked ECM.

If you pull the calibration that is in there now as a MTE.  With email you can get a unlocked stock MTE.
Semper Fi

06roadglide

You guys are definitely making me think of just keeping what I have.

Durwood

Multiple calibrations at your finger tips and the ability to view important perameters while riding, post tune, were a couple of the features that led me to Powervision, Fuel trims are easy to reset as well, again, right at your finger tips. No computer needed.

I, like you, wanted more from my tuner so I put the TTS in the tool box and installed the Powervision. Nothing against TTS, I just like the Powervision.

rbabos

Quote from: Durwood on March 24, 2015, 12:39:10 PM
Multiple calibrations at your finger tips and the ability to view important perameters while riding, post tune, were a couple of the features that led me to Powervision, Fuel trims are easy to reset as well, again, right at your finger tips. No computer needed.

I, like you, wanted more from my tuner so I put the TTS in the tool box and installed the Powervision. Nothing against TTS, I just like the Powervision.
Plus the ability to turn the adaptive off if desired.
Ron

UltraNutZ

here's my main issues with using PV

screen is too small for my old eyes to see and with that said

no video output method

currently I have a Surface Pro 3 that I mount to left handlebar using my super-duper-secretive-made mirror mount and Ram X-Grip mount.  Plug in the USB to the TTS or even the SEPST and go street tune (not fortunate enough to have a dyno yet) and I can see what I'm doing while I'm doing it.  Pull over, regurgitate a new cal, flash it, go tune some more.

If the PV had a larger screen or video out option, I would probably be more receptive to it.

FLTRI

Just don't ride down the road while looking at that postage stamp screen. By the time you look back at the road and refocus your attention, you become the bug on the windshield.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

rbabos

Quote from: FLTRI on March 24, 2015, 03:41:22 PM
Just don't ride down the road while looking at that postage stamp screen. By the time you look back at the road and refocus your attention, you become the bug on the windshield.
Bob
Like road tuning is safe to start with. :hyst:
Ron

FSG

Quote from: rbabos on March 24, 2015, 03:58:59 PM
Ron

:up:   as is yacking on the mobile phone

FLTRI

Bob
Ron
I believe riding around recording data, then coming back to build a new calibration is a whole bunch safer than monitoring engine data on a little bitty screen while riding down the road.
Texting is the ONLY thing more dangerous than monitoring while riding.
As far as talking on the phone while driving I believe that's a whole lot safer than the others mentioned above.
Bob

UltraNutZ

yeah well I'm sure some of you guys who own dynos now were street tuning at some point in your past.  We all gotta start somewhere..

FSG

QuoteAs far as talking on the phone while driving I believe that's a whole lot safer than the others mentioned above.

I don't know what planet your on but there is nothing safe about talking on the phone while driving or riding.

FLTRI

Quote from: FSG on March 24, 2015, 04:39:40 PM
QuoteAs far as talking on the phone while driving I believe that's a whole lot safer than the others mentioned above.

I don't know what planet your on but there is nothing safe about talking on the phone while driving or riding.
You know exactly where I am. You are a moderator. lol
Ever wonder how NASCAR drivers talk on the "radio" while driving over 200mph?
Shouldn't be allowed because it's so unsafe, right?
You should moderate rather than bait me every chance you get. :turd:
Bob

FSG

QuoteEver wonder how NASCAR drivers talk on the "radio" while driving over 200mph?

There's a whole lot of difference between a closed controlled race circuit and a public street/road.

Coyote

Quote from: FLTRI on March 24, 2015, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: FSG on March 24, 2015, 04:39:40 PM

You know exactly where I am. You are a moderator. lol
Ever wonder how NASCAR drivers talk on the "radio" while driving over 200mph?
You should moderate rather than bait me every chance you get. :turd:
Bob

Bob, I'm a HAM radio operator and I can tell you that without a doubt, the distraction from that is nothing compared to the distraction from talking on a phone. I personally find a phone conversation considerably more distracting than when I was was Vtuning with a display.

I've gotten anymore where I won't even take calls in the truck with a completely hands free system. Maybe I'm getting slower as I age, IDK.

I have my touring bike setup to show me incoming calls on my GPS on the bike but I would never consider taking one. Just not worth it IMO. Glancing at static displays like the GPS, dash etc never concern me.

Durwood

Bob
Bob, the gauge set up is nice, the windows in each screen are very viewable at a glance and it's easy to flip screens between the 4 that are available, 2 of the screens are 4 large window, and 2 are 6 window for monitoring up to 20 data streams in real time, of the users choosing.

hrdtail78

I usually find a bic pen or sharpie to hit the screen with.   I dont find the thing to useful to use while riding.  Changing screens or watching live data. 
Semper Fi

UltraNutZ

exactly.. too damn small to do anything with.  that's why I wish they had way to tie in a tablet to use with it.  so much easier and my eyes aren't off the road at all with the tablet.

Durwood

Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 24, 2015, 05:24:09 PM
I usually find a bic pen or sharpie to hit the screen with.   I dont find the thing to useful to use while riding.  Changing screens or watching live data.
I like watching the data, I find it very advantageous for street tuning, dial the ve's in then turn auto tune off. Then a guy can watch knock counts, where and when, degrees of retard, ect and make sure the actual afr matches the commanded afr.
I can see your point of view if you tune it on a dyno, but without that option, this works. IME

98fxstc

Flight Recorder is a huge plus but some areas still hard to hit and a tablet on the handlebars is the best way to fill these areas.
Problem is that these are mostly the higher map areas and a deserted stretch of straight road is the safest bet.

Ideally do the idle and cruise with road tuning and get to a dyno operator if you can with the higher tps and rpm areas.
Good idea to have wide band or herko blocks to verify these areas anyway.
Not convinced with auto-extend in TTS. 

UltraNutZ

Durwood

Quote from: 98fxstc on March 24, 2015, 05:43:53 PM
Flight Recorder is a huge plus but some areas still hard to hit and a tablet on the handlebars is the best way to fill these areas.
Problem is that these are mostly the higher map areas and a deserted stretch of straight road is the safest bet.

Ideally do the idle and cruise with road tuning and get to a dyno operator if you can with the higher tps and rpm areas.
Good idea to have wide band or herko blocks to verify these areas anyway.
Not convinced with auto-extend in TTS.
My bad, I didn't clarify, I am using the AT-110 with wide bands.

98fxstc

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 05:44:56 PM
or use the Green VCI
I've thought about that
Got some Innovate stuff I tuned the evo with
but speed is still the problem

UltraNutZ

true.. that's the only part I hate about street tuning.. getting those higher KPAs.  The lower KPAs I can usually get close with simply putting the front wheel up against a cabinet in the garage or even using the front brake while tuning at low speeds but requires a little lugging.  works well as long as you know when to call it quits.   :wink:

98fxstc

And locking the ecm doesnt worry me one little bit
I just want to have a good tune in there

UltraNutZ

yeah that whole locking the ECM thing that everyone portrays as being such a bad thing.. well it ain't such a bad thing at all.  Running around town, the TTS is on the shelf.  If I go out of town, it's in the saddlebag.  Quick connect to the tablet I carry around with me anyways because of my job and I have a stock MTE file in there in 5 minutes.  Only difference between it and the PV in that respect is one takes a computer, the other doesn't.  Either way you're likely to have to reload your map when the dealer gets finished anyways if you have an issue that requires dealer intervention.

hrdtail78

The Visions still needs a computer to email calibrations.
Semper Fi

1FSTRK

Quote from: FSG on March 24, 2015, 04:01:58 PM
Ron

:up:   as is yacking on the mobile phone

The internet is proof that most people cannot even think while typing, so how can you expect them to drive while texting or talking on the phone. As far as tuning on the road goes, regardless of brand, the practice of looking at any screen while diving could just bring on a needed cleansing of the gene pool.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

BVHOG

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 04:35:57 PM
yeah well I'm sure some of you guys who own dynos now were street tuning at some point in your past.  We all gotta start somewhere..
Yup, neighbors hated it and when the State Patrol started sitting on the side road south of my house I knew it was time for a dyno. He (state patrol) did get a couple of crotch rockets doing 100 plus though, lol
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Durwood

Quote from: BVHOG on March 25, 2015, 06:16:14 AM
Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 04:35:57 PM
Yup, neighbors hated it and when the State Patrol started sitting on the side road south of my house I knew it was time for a dyno. He (state patrol) did get a couple of crotch rockets doing 100 plus though, lol
This is one of the main reasons I bought a dyno, tuning the upper areas of the map on the highway is hazardous to my health and driving privelidges.

It will be here in a couple of days. :teeth:

hrdtail78

Congrats on the dyno.  It will spoil you and you will wonder how/ why you did it the other way for so long.  Then somebody will bring a trike in, and oh boy.  Your back in the mix on the street.
Semper Fi

Durwood

Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 25, 2015, 08:30:03 AM
Congrats on the dyno.  It will spoil you and you will wonder how/ why you did it the other way for so long.  Then somebody will bring a trike in, and oh boy.  Your back in the mix on the street.
I bought a 250ix, got the trikes covered too. :teeth:

hrdtail78

Nice!  I'll send them your way then.
Semper Fi

06roadglide

Quote from: Durwood on March 25, 2015, 08:54:41 AM

Dang Durwood!! Did you buy a new one?
You're in southern IN correct?

And Congrats!! I sure wish I could afford one right now.  Me a buddy really want one for his Business.

glens

Talking on the phone while driving is perhaps less distracting than talking to the person sitting next to you while driving.

Coyote

Quote from: glens on March 25, 2015, 09:30:20 AM
Talking on the phone while driving is perhaps less distracting than talking to the person sitting next to you while driving.

Studies have shown this not to be true.

http://unews.utah.edu/old/p/112608-2.html

Durwood

Durwood

March 25, 2015, 10:22:50 AM #55 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:25:22 AM by Durwood
Quote from: 06roadglide on March 25, 2015, 09:03:47 AM

And Congrats!! I sure wish I could afford one right now.  Me a buddy really want one for his Business.
Yes, I bought a new one, there are quite a few updates to the electronics and software on a new one versus buying used and updating, this made the most sense to me.

Besides, I can't let Stroker, Jason, Bob, Nick, Steve and Jamie have all the fun.. :teeth:

Herko is a mentor/teacher to me and between him and Stroker the transition from street tuner to dyno tuner should be smooth.

Thanks,

Yes, Evansville In.

06roadglide

Quote from: Durwood on March 25, 2015, 10:22:50 AM

Yes, I bought a new one, there are quite a few updates to the electronics and software on a new one versus buying used and updating, this made the most sense to me.

Besides, I can't let Stroker, Jason, Bob, Nick, Steve and Jamie have all the fun.. :teeth:

Herko is a mentor/teacher to me and between him and Stroker the transition from street tuner to dyno tuner should be smooth.

Thanks,

Yes, Evansville In.

Nice! HTT members are going nationwide with dyno services for the rest of us members.   :bike:  None of us should have to travel too far to get a quality tune from any of you guys.

Herko is a Hell of a Man!! I met him a couple of times out at his place.  That guy takes pride in everything he does, spotless!!  Hated that he sold his dyno to Louisville HD.

Good luck with the new tool and look forward to seeing your progress with it.   :chop:

Durwood

Quote from: 06roadglide on March 25, 2015, 11:09:37 AM
Quote from: Durwood on March 25, 2015, 10:22:50 AM

Thanks,

Yes, Evansville In.

Nice! HTT members are going nationwide with dyno services for the rest of us members.   :bike:  None of us should have to travel too far to get a quality tune from any of you guys.

Herko is a Hell of a Man!! I met him a couple of times out at his place.  That guy takes pride in everything he does, spotless!!  Hated that he sold his dyno to Louisville HD.

Good luck with the new tool and look forward to seeing your progress with it.   :chop:
John is a very meticulous and detail oriented person, an absolute pleasure to work with.

Thanks for the well wishes :up:

m1marty

Bought a 250i a few days ago.....Pretty happy about that. :up:
OFFO

Durwood

Quote from: m1marty on March 25, 2015, 07:28:39 PM
Bought a 250i a few days ago.....Pretty happy about that. :up:
That's cool Marty  :up:

1FSTRK

Two more EFI tuners for HTT members to work with.  :up: :up:
The best of luck to both of you.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

lonewolf

Quote from: 1FSTRK on March 26, 2015, 09:01:05 AM
Two more EFI tuners for HTT members to work with.  :up: :up:
The best of luck to both of you.
:agree: Enjoy

redmtrckl

Bob

Someday I expect to hear of a big lawsuit over this road tuning device where the last thing that went through some guy's mind was his A-hole. Stupid is as stupid does I guess.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

joe_lyons

They could get sued as much as the people who make the perch mounted clocks.  The PV screen worked better for throttle position as you could jump to that TP and just hold it but MAP is a little more tricky.  Some people can handle it and others can not.  Long empty roads for any road tuning is the best idea, be it a "postage stamp" size screen or a 10" tablet.  If you eyesight is crappy then do not attempt. 
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

UltraNutZ

Quote from: joe_lyons on March 28, 2015, 07:07:41 AM
They could get sued as much as the people who make the perch mounted clocks.  The PV screen worked better for throttle position as you could jump to that TP and just hold it but MAP is a little more tricky.  Some people can handle it and others can not.  Long empty roads for any road tuning is the best idea, be it a "postage stamp" size screen or a 10" tablet.  If you eyesight is crappy then do not attempt. 
:agree:

common sense is the biggest factor involved in doing such.  If you lack it, you probably shouldn't be riding a bike to begin with.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: redmtrckl on March 28, 2015, 06:48:15 AM
Bob

Someday I expect to hear of a big lawsuit over this road tuning device where the last thing that went through some guy's mind was his A-hole. Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Sounds like a good argument for a full time closed loop AFR tuning system without a display.. :wink:

rbabos

Quote from: Max Headflow on March 28, 2015, 07:25:10 AM
Bob

Sounds like a good argument for a full time closed loop AFR tuning system without a display.. :wink:
Been there, done that.
Ron

a2wheeler

Wish one of you guys with a Dyno lived near Colorado. But for now, I'm going back on the road today to do more road tuning. No display, just a laptop in the truck which I hope maintains connection for the entire run. The toothpick on the usb connection has been working well. But i still have to watch for cops.

UltraNutZ

a2wheeler.  take a pair of pliers and squeeze the connection on the USB cable so that it fits real tight in the connection on the laptop.  No problems.

a2wheeler

Dang it. Tooth pick failed me on 2nd run. Thanks Ultra - I will try the pliers.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: rbabos on March 28, 2015, 07:44:40 AM
Quote from: Max Headflow on March 28, 2015, 07:25:10 AM
Bob

Been there, done that.
Ron

And you survived.. Amazing..