April 27, 2024, 06:38:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

switching from TTS to PV

Started by 06roadglide, March 24, 2015, 05:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: FLTRI on March 24, 2015, 03:41:22 PM
Just don't ride down the road while looking at that postage stamp screen. By the time you look back at the road and refocus your attention, you become the bug on the windshield.
Bob
Like road tuning is safe to start with. :hyst:
Ron

FSG

Quote from: rbabos on March 24, 2015, 03:58:59 PM
Ron

:up:   as is yacking on the mobile phone

FLTRI

Just don't ride down the road while looking at that postage stamp screen. By the time you look back at the road and refocus your attention, you become the bug on the windshield.
Bob
Ron
I believe riding around recording data, then coming back to build a new calibration is a whole bunch safer than monitoring engine data on a little bitty screen while riding down the road.
Texting is the ONLY thing more dangerous than monitoring while riding.
As far as talking on the phone while driving I believe that's a whole lot safer than the others mentioned above.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

UltraNutZ

yeah well I'm sure some of you guys who own dynos now were street tuning at some point in your past.  We all gotta start somewhere..
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

FSG

QuoteAs far as talking on the phone while driving I believe that's a whole lot safer than the others mentioned above.

I don't know what planet your on but there is nothing safe about talking on the phone while driving or riding.

FLTRI

Quote from: FSG on March 24, 2015, 04:39:40 PM
QuoteAs far as talking on the phone while driving I believe that's a whole lot safer than the others mentioned above.

I don't know what planet your on but there is nothing safe about talking on the phone while driving or riding.
You know exactly where I am. You are a moderator. lol
Ever wonder how NASCAR drivers talk on the "radio" while driving over 200mph?
Shouldn't be allowed because it's so unsafe, right?
You should moderate rather than bait me every chance you get. :turd:
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

FSG

QuoteEver wonder how NASCAR drivers talk on the "radio" while driving over 200mph?

There's a whole lot of difference between a closed controlled race circuit and a public street/road.

Coyote

Quote from: FLTRI on March 24, 2015, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: FSG on March 24, 2015, 04:39:40 PM

You know exactly where I am. You are a moderator. lol
Ever wonder how NASCAR drivers talk on the "radio" while driving over 200mph?
You should moderate rather than bait me every chance you get. :turd:
Bob

Bob, I'm a HAM radio operator and I can tell you that without a doubt, the distraction from that is nothing compared to the distraction from talking on a phone. I personally find a phone conversation considerably more distracting than when I was was Vtuning with a display.

I've gotten anymore where I won't even take calls in the truck with a completely hands free system. Maybe I'm getting slower as I age, IDK.

I have my touring bike setup to show me incoming calls on my GPS on the bike but I would never consider taking one. Just not worth it IMO. Glancing at static displays like the GPS, dash etc never concern me.

Durwood

Bob
Bob, the gauge set up is nice, the windows in each screen are very viewable at a glance and it's easy to flip screens between the 4 that are available, 2 of the screens are 4 large window, and 2 are 6 window for monitoring up to 20 data streams in real time, of the users choosing.

hrdtail78

I usually find a bic pen or sharpie to hit the screen with.   I dont find the thing to useful to use while riding.  Changing screens or watching live data. 
Semper Fi

UltraNutZ

exactly.. too damn small to do anything with.  that's why I wish they had way to tie in a tablet to use with it.  so much easier and my eyes aren't off the road at all with the tablet.

Durwood

Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 24, 2015, 05:24:09 PM
I usually find a bic pen or sharpie to hit the screen with.   I dont find the thing to useful to use while riding.  Changing screens or watching live data.
I like watching the data, I find it very advantageous for street tuning, dial the ve's in then turn auto tune off. Then a guy can watch knock counts, where and when, degrees of retard, ect and make sure the actual afr matches the commanded afr.
I can see your point of view if you tune it on a dyno, but without that option, this works. IME

98fxstc

Flight Recorder is a huge plus but some areas still hard to hit and a tablet on the handlebars is the best way to fill these areas.
Problem is that these are mostly the higher map areas and a deserted stretch of straight road is the safest bet.

Ideally do the idle and cruise with road tuning and get to a dyno operator if you can with the higher tps and rpm areas.
Good idea to have wide band or herko blocks to verify these areas anyway.
Not convinced with auto-extend in TTS. 

UltraNutZ

Durwood

Quote from: 98fxstc on March 24, 2015, 05:43:53 PM
Flight Recorder is a huge plus but some areas still hard to hit and a tablet on the handlebars is the best way to fill these areas.
Problem is that these are mostly the higher map areas and a deserted stretch of straight road is the safest bet.

Ideally do the idle and cruise with road tuning and get to a dyno operator if you can with the higher tps and rpm areas.
Good idea to have wide band or herko blocks to verify these areas anyway.
Not convinced with auto-extend in TTS.
My bad, I didn't clarify, I am using the AT-110 with wide bands.

98fxstc

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 05:44:56 PM
or use the Green VCI
I've thought about that
Got some Innovate stuff I tuned the evo with
but speed is still the problem

UltraNutZ

true.. that's the only part I hate about street tuning.. getting those higher KPAs.  The lower KPAs I can usually get close with simply putting the front wheel up against a cabinet in the garage or even using the front brake while tuning at low speeds but requires a little lugging.  works well as long as you know when to call it quits.   :wink:

98fxstc

And locking the ecm doesnt worry me one little bit
I just want to have a good tune in there

UltraNutZ

yeah that whole locking the ECM thing that everyone portrays as being such a bad thing.. well it ain't such a bad thing at all.  Running around town, the TTS is on the shelf.  If I go out of town, it's in the saddlebag.  Quick connect to the tablet I carry around with me anyways because of my job and I have a stock MTE file in there in 5 minutes.  Only difference between it and the PV in that respect is one takes a computer, the other doesn't.  Either way you're likely to have to reload your map when the dealer gets finished anyways if you have an issue that requires dealer intervention.

hrdtail78

The Visions still needs a computer to email calibrations.
Semper Fi

1FSTRK

Quote from: FSG on March 24, 2015, 04:01:58 PM
Ron

:up:   as is yacking on the mobile phone

The internet is proof that most people cannot even think while typing, so how can you expect them to drive while texting or talking on the phone. As far as tuning on the road goes, regardless of brand, the practice of looking at any screen while diving could just bring on a needed cleansing of the gene pool.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

BVHOG

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 04:35:57 PM
yeah well I'm sure some of you guys who own dynos now were street tuning at some point in your past.  We all gotta start somewhere..
Yup, neighbors hated it and when the State Patrol started sitting on the side road south of my house I knew it was time for a dyno. He (state patrol) did get a couple of crotch rockets doing 100 plus though, lol
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Durwood

Quote from: BVHOG on March 25, 2015, 06:16:14 AM
Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 24, 2015, 04:35:57 PM
Yup, neighbors hated it and when the State Patrol started sitting on the side road south of my house I knew it was time for a dyno. He (state patrol) did get a couple of crotch rockets doing 100 plus though, lol
This is one of the main reasons I bought a dyno, tuning the upper areas of the map on the highway is hazardous to my health and driving privelidges.

It will be here in a couple of days. :teeth:

hrdtail78

Congrats on the dyno.  It will spoil you and you will wonder how/ why you did it the other way for so long.  Then somebody will bring a trike in, and oh boy.  Your back in the mix on the street.
Semper Fi

Durwood

Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 25, 2015, 08:30:03 AM
Congrats on the dyno.  It will spoil you and you will wonder how/ why you did it the other way for so long.  Then somebody will bring a trike in, and oh boy.  Your back in the mix on the street.
I bought a 250ix, got the trikes covered too. :teeth: