May 08, 2024, 04:09:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

110 ci big bore kits for 2007 up

Started by strokerjlk, August 22, 2015, 09:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

August 24, 2015, 10:26:04 AM #50 Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:29:01 AM by HD Street Performance
I understand. I have even bored the 4.06 cylinders to 4.125 successfully.
I am open minded however, and really will hold off making any judgement until these cylinders are field tested by folks. The field will tell the true story. If they run and don't fail then all good.

strokerjlk

Quote from: HD Street Performance on August 24, 2015, 10:26:04 AM
I understand. I have even bored the 4.06 cylinders to 4.125 successfully.
I am open minded however, and really will hold off making any judgement until these cylinders are field tested by folks. The field will tell the true story. If they run and don't fail then all good.
Well that's a little better.  Based on your other answer , I took you as a no way .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

BUBBIE

August 24, 2015, 11:39:51 AM #52 Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 02:12:37 PM by BUBBIE
While you have Don reading here?

I would not mind doing Just the 1195$ kit with cylinders and Pistons LIKE Stroker Jim :potstir: posted in my ? don't know what I'm going to do Thread. 124 7speed. :hyst:

Don, I have the Heads you set me up with for my 103" build SE255's. Just going the 110 kit, what would I get back without any more than what is there now on my build? Stock new 2012 intake manifold and stock injectors.

I won't put in the Necessary Parts Most would or Should. Just that change and a Tune using my off road SE tuner.

Hope you don't mind my asking here Jim as the answers Might be Interesting to others AND your opinion ALSO, Of course... If you are not wanting it here, Just post so and I will edit my questions Out. :SM:

signed....BUBBIE

Invoice shows CC heads at 85... Today, I took Compression and it was Even F to R at + plus a hair over 200#and that is here at 4400 feet elevation se255 cams.
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

strokerjlk

I don't mind bubbie. But maybe those those that have reservations and consider it nonsense would rather not have their heads used in such a manner . Or should just refrain from input on these builds .  :hyst: just kidding . Have at it .  :potstir:
I would swap cams myself . But tell us again what your heads cc-ed at

07heri

Quote from: BUBBIE on August 24, 2015, 11:39:51 AM

I would not mind doing Just the 1195$ kit with cylinders and Pistons LIKE Stroker Jim :potstir: posted in my ? don't know what I'm going to do Thread. 124 7speed. :hyst:

Signed....BUBBIE

If I'm reading the HD website it looks like they want close to 2 grand?  But it doesn't list all models and all years from 07 up, starts at 2014.  Is this something that will only be year and model specific? 

2 grand?  Just for the parts kit?  Does anyone else think this just a tad steep? 
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

Don D

Bubbie
If you want to try the kit we will need to dial the compression back to use the same heads that work on the 103, all parts being equal. I have no issue with it. I also have helped guys build what I have referred to as a "ying" build 117 and 124" motors using the Street Pro Heads. In both cases we used dished pistons to get the compression down. They run regular. That may be what we should do with yours. All possibilities that need to be explored. Personally if it were mine I would change cams because a 110 motor with 255s isn't my style, I prefer a bit less cylinder pressure and more overlap with a wider LSA later LC cam.

BVHOG

What do you think long term high mileage expectations are for these?    I am with Don, would like to see these prove themselves first but then again the moco would never expect us to beta test for them would they?
And it's far more than will they break or not break, will we be getting a good ring seal at all times? will power suffer if we dont? I hope for everyone's sake that plunks down that kind of cash for a set of paper thin cylinders at a dealer that may send it out tuned properly or then again maybe not if they change even one small part of the recipe(like exhaust for example).
  At the current price I just don't see this setup as a win for anyone but the moco.
You want a decent 110 plus cubic inch motor than split the cases, address the crank and bore the cases.
What do you suppose installed price is going to be on the entire setup at an average dealership that is @ 90 dollars plus per hour.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Eglider05

Quote from: BVHOG on August 24, 2015, 01:27:42 PM
You want a decent 110 plus cubic inch motor than split the cases, address the crank and bore the cases.

Yep, it doesn't seem like a good idea to keep upping the motor size without addressing the crank. The crank scares me more than the thin spigots. I predict DH is going to see an increase in business in the future.  :potstir: Maybe I'm just skeptical as I've had a slipped crank destroy a motor.

Rick

hrdtail78

I don't get the hype over a 110 either.  I certainly don't see why it is bad to be skeptical of anything new for hot rodding from HD.  4 inch bore, sounds great, but it would be better with a 4.5 stroke.  We have all seen that bore stroke combo work great before. 
Semper Fi

Just Nick

Looking at the info Joe just posted in the 2016 stuff thread it looks like the bolt on 110 kits are for 14 bikes not 07 up. He only posted the stage kits not the cylinder only but I think it's going to be 14 up only
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

1FSTRK

Quote from: Just Nick on August 24, 2015, 01:52:51 PM
Looking at the info Joe just posted in the 2016 stuff thread it looks like the bolt on 110 kits are for 14 bikes not 07 up. He only posted the stage kits not the cylinder only but I think it's going to be 14 up only

Why?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Just Nick

August 24, 2015, 02:02:37 PM #61 Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 02:12:19 PM by Just Nick
Because the stg 3 kit says for 16 later soft tail and 14 later touring only

The stg 3 kit is cylinders Pistons cams rockers lifters gaskets if the cylinders fit all the way back to 07 so would that kit but it don't it's for 16 up st 14 up touring excluding trikes

time will tell I guess

07heri

Quote from: hrdtail78 on August 24, 2015, 01:42:48 PM
I don't get the hype over a 110 either.  I certainly don't see why it is bad to be skeptical of anything new for hot rodding from HD.  4 inch bore, sounds great, but it would be better with a 4.5 stroke.  We have all seen that bore stroke combo work great before.

I'm not skeptical.  I love the idea.  But, for that kind of money how long before it needs a rebuild.  Over and over I hear don't build engines out of the box.  So this hits the street with the same crap tolerances, for 2 grand?  Now, let the dealership add labor costs.  It just has me wondering if there isn't a shop that can build a 106, for instance, that will out-perform the "out of the box" 110 parts, for less cost.  And, be more reliable.  I'm sure the builders will chime in.  I think it's a RUB price, to be honest.  If it works out, I think the after market bunch will all over it. 
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

07heri

Quote from: Just Nick on August 24, 2015, 02:02:37 PM

The stg 3 kit is cylinders Pistons cams rockers pushrods gaskets if the cylinders fit all the way back to 07 so would that kit but it don't it's for 16 up st 14 up touring excluding trikes

I looked at the website a couple times, and they don't list it as 07 and up.   They have certain years and models specified.  Why?  I don't know.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

1FSTRK

The stg 3 kit is cylinders Pistons cams rockers pushrods gaskets if the cylinders fit all the way back to 07 so would that kit but it don't it's for 16 up st 14 up touring excluding trikes

Not questioning what is says, I am asking why it will not fit the earlier 07-13 bikes, what was different?

Coff 06

Another question is how true will the bore be on these new cylinders,will they need to have a clean up bore to straighten them out right out of the box?         Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

BUBBIE

Quote from: BUBBIE on August 24, 2015, 11:39:51 AM

Don, I have the Heads you set me up with for my 103" build SE255's. Just going the 110 kit, what would I get back without any more than what is there now on my build? Stock new 2012 intake manifold and stock injectors.

I won't put in the Necessary Parts Most would or Should. Just that change and a Tune using my off road SE tuner.

Hope you don't mind my asking here Jim as the answers Might be Interesting to others AND your opinion ALSO, Of course... If you are not wanting it here, Just post so and I will edit my questions Out. :SM:

signed....BUBBIE

Invoice shows CC heads at 85... Today, I took Compression and it was Even F to R at + plus a hair over 200#and that is here at 4400 feet elevation se255 cams. also thinking a little shaved off heads by Don and .030 gaskets I used

Just Nick

Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 24, 2015, 02:11:18 PM

Not questioning what is says, I am asking why it will not fit the earlier 07-13 bikes, what was different?

Only thing I could think of is if they changed the case bore in 14 and it slipped by everyone

Just Nick

Quote from: Coff 06 on August 24, 2015, 02:11:26 PM
Another question is how true will the bore be on these new cylinders,will they need to have a clean up bore to straighten them out right out of the box?         Coff 06

Exactly

1FSTRK

Quote from: Just Nick on August 24, 2015, 02:13:42 PM

Only thing I could think of is if they changed the case bore in 14 and it slipped by everyone

That could be why my first numbers from my 07 notes came up with .020-.025 spigot wall.
It may also be the cranks. I had the original 110 kit installed on my stock crank and it moved with the Kit heads. I would not even think of doing a drop in 110 with the 130/130  modified stock heads I have now and a stock crank.

strokerjlk

The clean up on the bore went out years ago .
Most shops boring cylinders don't get them as close as the moco does anyway .

The 4" cylinder is not thin . It is the same bore its always been .

Some guys need there cranks fluffed . Me I never have welded one and make way more power than any of these 110's will. 100's of 1000's of stock  cranks pushing this kind of power .

Bubbie ....Don is right on with his opinion . Either lose a little ccp or swap cams
You can still have the feeling you have now , since you upping CI and can set compression for a better suited cam

BUBBIE

Thinking HD wants to Charge More for that EXACT same product Say'n it won't fit the older 07 UP TC motors?

Might have to Buy a different Part number for the Older TC's  for more $$$$ But it IS the same part in a different box and stamped OLD BIKES...?.

More $$$$ for the Mo Co..

NO, they would Never think to do that.......

signed....BUBBIE

1FSTRK

Quote from: strokerjlk on August 24, 2015, 02:25:03 PM

Some guys need there cranks fluffed . Me I never have welded one and make way more power than any of these 110's will. 100's of 1000's of stock  cranks pushing this kind of power .

Jim
How many runs on your crank? Down the track.
I have seen sprocket shafts snapped right off the flywheel of stock cranks with the blower you are running and the bike never went to the track. It is not a question of if you will have crank trouble it is just a matter of when. Not wishing you bad luck, but if you run it that hard very long you will be posting the pictures here.

Don D

Where I get a little edgy is when cylinder kits get installed with my heads and the rings and or pistons fail causing an oil consumption situation and immediately the customer assumes the heads are suspect (valve seals / guides) due to the ports being oiled down and chambers filled with carbon.
Fix the crank, simple to just true and pin it. If piston weight stays the same or close no issues

rageglide

Quote from: Just Nick on August 24, 2015, 02:13:42 PM

Because they are EPA Complaint kits I'd guess they never bothered to certify the kit for older bikes.  When did Touring go to CANbus, 2014, Softails in 2010?  Could be they certified the canned flash on CAN bus ECM.  :nix: