May 08, 2024, 10:14:25 PM

News:

Active Exhaust Valving

Started by FLTRI, October 12, 2015, 09:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdtail78

Looks to me the tuner is already set up for what people are looking for.   It only being in the HDI cals seems like a small hurdle.  What needs to come next is a valve in the exhaust with a pulley that will work with HD's cable controller.

Semper Fi

rigidthumper

October 16, 2015, 06:58:51 AM #51 Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:44:48 AM by rigidthumper
Anybody looked at the Buell system? ECM controlled active exhaust cable drive valve in the muffler, that responded to MAP and TPS vis the DDFI system. Oh, wait- most everybody took those off and tossed them. Too quiet.
nevermind...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pete_Vit

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 14, 2015, 04:05:54 PM
Does the ecm control the butterfly on either of those systems?
They seem to be selling sound control rather than performance so that is not really the same subject.
:agree:
but I do like the idea, I wonder how "quite' is quite mode  :fish:
I'm looking to trash my 2" M-Twins for a couple reasons, 1) loss of performance 2) too fri%%in loud all the time.
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

hrdtail78

Seems both system use basically the same butterfly valve.  I think the different is control for the application.

IME the more restrictive the exhaust the quieter it is.  The more free flowing the pipe.  The louder it is.  Take a set of drag pipes, and put in some baffles.  What happens.  They get quieter, low end tq dip is improved, and reversion goes down.  It doesn't matter if the goal was to quiet them down or to improve low end tq.  Same could be said with modifying a TH baffle, or changing disc count on a trap.

I have to rethink my statement on kpa over rpm.  I think this would be better for the guys looking to improve light load areas, and I think TPS over rpm would work better for higher load low end tq loss but it could also work for low load.  I think both could be accomplished with how it is set up now.
Semper Fi

1FSTRK

October 16, 2015, 10:15:55 AM #54 Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:18:59 AM by 1FSTRK
Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 16, 2015, 05:19:16 AM
Looks to me the tuner is already set up for what people are looking for.   It only being in the HDI cals seems like a small hurdle.  What needs to come next is a valve in the exhaust with a pulley that will work with HD's cable controller.

If that is all we need then it should be an easy part to make either from scratch or from modifying an existing part that is available all ready.

I will try to get with Vic and see if he has some time to go over the particulars with me, he will be doing the testing and tuning on my bike if something comes of this all and I can get him to make the time.

I have have not looked at either of my cals from TTS to see if they have this option.
I think the Road king is a 176 cal and the 2007 Softail I have no recollection what he used but the cal would have to be for a 07 Cable TB and support  130/130 power.

It would be great if I could end up with something like this.

We did some pipe and baffle testing but what made the bottom up always killed the top.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

1FSTRK

I stopped by Vic's yesterday but he was way to busy to talk, he said to give him a week or two and stop back. He said he would be in for testing over the winter if something happens with this.

I have TTS on both bikes (his preference) but I will reach out to Power Vision this week to see if they can do anything to help, I have been messing with the PV on the 103 that my buddy is running and it looks like he would let me licence my bike to on his PV if need be.

Steve Cole

You cannot use the HD supplied parts to do what your hoping for. The factory parts are only designed as a Open/Closed assembly.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 16, 2015, 06:58:51 AM
Anybody looked at the Buell system? ECM controlled active exhaust cable drive valve in the muffler, that responded to MAP and TPS vis the DDFI system. Oh, wait- most everybody took those off and tossed them. Too quiet.
nevermind...
Hum; now I have to check my Son's Buell
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

joe_lyons

Quote from: Steve Cole on October 19, 2015, 10:46:45 AM
You cannot use the HD supplied parts to do what your hoping for. The factory parts are only designed as a Open/Closed assembly.
Why is it set up as duty cycle then?
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

hrdtail78

Duty cycle makes more since to open or close.   
Semper Fi

1FSTRK

I have no word back from PV yet but I have been doing a little read and my question is the same as the one Joe asked, may be a little more explanation could be provided with the answer.

In PV the Table Joe posted clearly shows you give values to specific rpm/throttle positions, so what is the difference between commanding a 50 at TP 100 at 2000 rpm
and commanding a 90 at TP 100 at 2000 rpm. Most places in the PV on and off is commanded with 0 or 1.

What does a TTS use for a table? Does it just toggle on or off the factory table?

joe_lyons

Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 19, 2015, 08:08:56 PM
Duty cycle makes more since to open or close.
I agree that duty cycle would much better represent percentage opening.  Steve made it seem like it is just open or closed.

hrdtail78

That is what I got out of his statement as well.   But duty cycle is about open or close.  Nothing in between.   I assume it would look more like a throttle blade control table if it wasn't.

If somebody came out with a stepper motor.   Could the code be worked out to deal with that?
Semper Fi

joe_lyons

October 20, 2015, 06:27:33 AM #63 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:34:41 AM by joe_lyons
Why would it be adjustable from 0 to 100 in 1% increments if it is just on or off?
Maybe the ECM sends pulses (per say) to close the valve and it does this in duty cycle knowing how much time it has.

I haven't messed with one but is the motor/valve held open/closed with a spring?

hrdtail78

October 20, 2015, 04:03:03 PM #64 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:23:47 PM by hrdtail78
Semper Fi

joe_lyons

Or just do it and bypass the ho-hums
There's gotta be some guys from overseas willing to get rid of their exhaust

hrdtail78

Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 20, 2015, 04:03:03 PM

Quote from: joe_lyons on October 20, 2015, 06:27:33 AM
Why would it be adjustable from 0 to 100 in 1% increments if it is just on or off?
Maybe the ECM sends pulses (per say) to close the valve and it does this in duty cycle knowing how much time it has.

I haven't messed with one but is the motor/valve held open/closed with a spring?

I haven't messed with one either.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

A variable valve is what I would be after.  You could tag into the TBW or the TPS  and control it separately.  Max could easily write something.

I was hoping some over sea tuners would pop up also.

Semper Fi

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 20, 2015, 04:31:38 PM
A variable valve is what I would be after.  You could tag into the TBW or the TPS  and control it separately.  Max could easily write something.

I was hoping some over sea tuners would pop up also.

It first I was thinking it would be a nightmare to program the ECU as you would be adding another dimension to a few arrays that the ECU uses.. VE and timing come to mind.  It could work well if the system used RPM to set the valve.. Exhaust controller could use the system serial bus to get RPMs..

1FSTRK

Quote from: joe_lyons on October 20, 2015, 04:07:23 PM

The hardware parts are accessible in any version, you first need to know what the ecm will and will not control, or what someone can make it control and then match the proper hardware to it.

Once again, no straight answers.

rbabos

Quote from: joe_lyons on October 20, 2015, 04:07:23 PM
After reading all this, they likely want to keep them. :hyst:
Ron

FLTRI

Before anything it would be nice to know it actually produced less low rpm/load power.
No need for anything but a valve to install and manually opening and closing the valve to see what happens to power.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

rigidthumper

October 22, 2015, 11:13:36 AM #72 Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:15:58 AM by rigidthumper
FWIW, here's one of the Liberty 2-1 pipes- closed, 1/2 open, and open. Not a fan of the Liberty pipe.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=2298

FLTRI

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 22, 2015, 11:13:36 AM
FWIW, here's one of the Liberty 2-1 pipes- closed, 1/2 open, and open. Not a fan of the Liberty pipe.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=2298
Robin, is this a 2into1into2 or just a 2into1?
I think the hot tip may be as applied to restricting flow into the left side pipe on the 2into1into2 since the 2 mufflers are not assigned to individual cylinders.
Another test is compare the stock HD 2into1 (the 2into1into2 system with the left side blocked off) to the stock 2into1into2.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

rigidthumper