News:

Active Exhaust Valving

Started by FLTRI, October 12, 2015, 09:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLTRI

Quote from: rbabos on October 11, 2015, 04:10:01 PM
Quote from: FLTRI on October 11, 2015, 02:56:45 PM
Quote from: whittlebeast on October 11, 2015, 02:44:08 PM
VRods can run into the issues around 74.5% DC.
I've tuned a few over the years and haven't seen issues at 80%. That said these are not Destroyer race bikes. They are relatively stock bikes with various exhausts. Some Most don't work very well and all. Not enough volume. Rebaffled stock 2into1into2 works very well.
Bob
Pretty sure these bikes could benifit from an Exup valve also. Would make life a lot easier to have good sampling in the low end for nice stable closed loop. That seems to go to chit as soon as you slip on some better flowing mufflers.
Ron
I remember when Vrods first came out the MOCO challenged the aftermarket to build a better performing exhaust than their original 2into1into2.
It took a company (v-mod) r&ring the baffle in the stock mufflers to beat the stock performance.
Non of the aftermarket did much more than make noise.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

rbabos

Quote from: FLTRI on October 12, 2015, 09:01:55 AM
Quote from: rbabos on October 11, 2015, 04:10:01 PM
Quote from: FLTRI on October 11, 2015, 02:56:45 PM
Quote from: whittlebeast on October 11, 2015, 02:44:08 PM
VRods can run into the issues around 74.5% DC.
I've tuned a few over the years and haven't seen issues at 80%. That said these are not Destroyer race bikes. They are relatively stock bikes with various exhausts. Some Most don't work very well and all. Not enough volume. Rebaffled stock 2into1into2 works very well.
Bob
Pretty sure these bikes could benifit from an Exup valve also. Would make life a lot easier to have good sampling in the low end for nice stable closed loop. That seems to go to chit as soon as you slip on some better flowing mufflers.
Ron
I remember when Vrods first came out the MOCO challenged the aftermarket to build a better performing exhaust than their original 2into1into2.
It took a company (v-mod) r&ring the baffle in the stock mufflers to beat the stock performance.
Non of the aftermarket did much more than make noise.
Bob
That's why I kept the system but went fatshots. These bikes become stupid loud with just about every other exhaust out there. I test rode one with the V&H 2-1. I found it intolerable for long distances with that thing barking under your right ear. Burns the leg too, not to mention it drags on hard right turns. I wasn't impressed but the young crowd likes them. Thing is, even with a small change like taking the stockers off and going fatshots, the low end sampling (low kpa areas) goes for a chit. This is where and xup valve could reclaim that possibly? Not likey will happen but just my thoughts on it.
Ron

FLTRI

Frankly Ron,
I'm truly surprised non of the tuner companies haven't found a performance use for the HDI exhaust valve.
I'm assume the coding and calibration tables can be modified to use for low rpm performance then open up for higher rpm running?
I think it would be a real help with big builds w/high overlap cam profiles.
Bob

rbabos

Quote from: FLTRI on October 12, 2015, 11:23:21 AM
Frankly Ron,
I'm truly surprised non of the tuner companies haven't found a performance use for the HDI exhaust valve.
I'm assume the coding and calibration tables can be modified to use for low rpm performance then open up for higher rpm running?
Bob
Most would look at it as restrictive and heave it over the fence. Then they discover tuning low end issues and sneak over the fence at night to get it back.  :hyst: I tend to agree, it would have benifits.
Ron

FLTRI

Quote from: rbabos on October 12, 2015, 11:29:38 AM
Frankly Ron,
Bob
Most would look at it as restrictive and heave it over the fence. Then they discover tuning low end issues and sneak over the fence at night to get it back.  :hyst: I tend to agree, it would have benifits.
Ron
Oh god Ron! I've got tears running down my face from laughing!
It would be restrictive for low rpm power then, when the engine needs more exhaust volume, the valve opens up allowing another muffler's worth of volume.

Bob

1FSTRK

Quote from: FLTRI on October 12, 2015, 11:41:19 AM
Frankly Ron,
Bob
Ron
It would be restrictive for low rpm power then, when the engine needs more exhaust volume, the valve opens up allowing another muffler's worth of volume.

Bob

:up: :up:
We have had this talk many times locally. It is hard to get the experts to stop telling you what is wrong and start helping to work around it.

The first dyno operator that installed a cone or bolt in a drag pipe instead of telling the customer "they all do that and you are stupid to run them" made a million dollars installing them.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Don D

Frankly Ron,
Bob
:agree:

hrdtail78

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 13, 2015, 01:35:45 AM
It is hard to get the experts to stop telling you what is wrong and start helping to work around it.

Detailed instructions was given to Ron with the advice of what could be done to help.  It would take 5-7 minutes on his part to pull a file and email it.  A lot more work on the other side to figure things out.  This could of told him exactly how the BLM was laid out in his calibration and what tables actually changed things in the calibrations and which ones did nothing.  I have seen many suggestion from tuners and myself on what to do to test sampling in the lower areas.  I have personally talked to other tuners that have advised Ron the same off the forum.  So, you can lead a horse to water.....

I don't know who is claiming to be an expert.  I see it more as:  I have ran into that same problem A lot over the past 6-7 years of tuning and this is what I did to correct and improve the running in that area.  You know, knowledge based on actual experience. 
Semper Fi

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 14, 2015, 07:48:13 AM
It is hard to get the experts to stop telling you what is wrong and start helping to work around it.

Detailed instructions was given to Ron with the advice of what could be done to help.  It would take 5-7 minutes on his part to pull a file and email it.  A lot more work on the other side to figure things out.  This could of told him exactly how the BLM was laid out in his calibration and what tables actually changed things in the calibrations and which ones did nothing.  I have seen many suggestion from tuners and myself on what to do to test sampling in the lower areas.  I have personally talked to other tuners that have advised Ron the same off the forum.  So, you can lead a horse to water.....

I don't know who is claiming to be an expert.  I see it more as:  I have ran into that same problem A lot over the past 6-7 years of tuning and this is what I did to correct and improve the running in that area.  You know, knowledge based on actual experience.
This would be classified as baiting. :hyst: Not sucking me in this time. :slap:
Ron

1FSTRK

Quote from: FLTRI on October 12, 2015, 11:41:19 AM
Frankly Ron,
Bob
Ron

Bob

:up: :up:
We have had this talk many times locally. It is hard to get the experts to stop telling you what is wrong and start helping to work around it.

The first dyno operator that installed a cone or bolt in a drag pipe instead of telling the customer "they all do that and you are stupid to run them" made a million dollars installing them.

Just to clarify my post was in reference to the part of FLTRI's post on performance high lighted in red and has nothing to do with any of Ron's bikes or tuning experiences.
Any total or partial quotes and/or reply should be in reference to the subject of FLRTI's post on accessing the code to tune an active exhaust valve in the pipe for performance purposes, other bike manufactures have been doing it for years.

joe_lyons

The code has been opened up in power vision and Mastertune cals. The only problem that I saw was that it is deactivated and 5th and 6th gears
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

hrdtail78

Quote from: rbabos on October 14, 2015, 08:43:24 AM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 14, 2015, 07:48:13 AM

This would be classified as baiting. :hyst: Not sucking me in this time. :slap:
Ron

No baiting at all.  Offer left the table some time ago.  Just stating another side of it. 
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Quote from: joe_lyons on October 14, 2015, 09:32:05 AM
The code has been opened up in power vision and Mastertune cals. The only problem that I saw was that it is deactivated and 5th and 6th gears

Thanks for pointing that out.  I knew about Mastertune but not vision.  I wonder how that would work with the Akropovic stuff?
Semper Fi

1FSTRK

I wonder if that could be changed by the aftermarket tuner world or if it has to stay that way.

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 14, 2015, 09:35:01 AM

Thanks for pointing that out.  I knew about Mastertune but not vision.  I wonder how that would work with the Akropovic stuff?
Don't you need an active exhaust first to make use of the tables? AKRO has no valve.
Ron

joe_lyons

hrdtail78

Quote from: rbabos on October 14, 2015, 10:05:39 AM

Don't you need an active exhaust first to make use of the tables? AKRO has no valve.
Ron

Yes they do.  It's on the manufactures web site and in the drag specialties catalog.  It was also on display at the last dealer show I went to.  What are you basing your statement on?
Semper Fi

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 14, 2015, 11:04:53 AM

Ron

Yes they do.  It's on the manufactures web site and in the drag specialties catalog.  It was also on display at the last dealer show I went to.  What are you basing your statement on?
V rod Akro 2-1 pipe. It is recently discontinued but plenty of them running around.
Ron

joe_lyons

Jamie Long

The valves Akrapovic offers are for the slip on mufflers they offer for various models, they are not available for their 2/1 systems.

joe_lyons

The mufflers are shorter aren't they?

Jamie Long

Quote from: joe_lyons on October 14, 2015, 01:07:57 PM
The mufflers are shorter aren't they?

The Akra slip on mufflers have two sections, one is the muffler; the other is an inlet extension tube which is covered by a heat shield. If you use the optional valve it replaces the extension tube section of the muffler.   

hrdtail78

Quote from: rbabos on October 14, 2015, 11:55:30 AM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 14, 2015, 11:04:53 AM

Ron

V rod Akro 2-1 pipe. It is recently discontinued but plenty of them running around.
Ron

You have made it pretty clear that I have no info you are interested in.  So, when I talk about what is out there with a valve that might work with tuning devices.  I don't have the Vrod, you or even a 2-1 in mind.

Quote from: Jamie Long on October 14, 2015, 01:06:51 PM
The valves Akrapovic offers are for the slip on mufflers they offer for various models, they are not available for their 2/1 systems.

No where in my statements did I mention a 2-1 system, but let's get out of the box a little bit and remember how easy SS is to weld.  The topic was brought up on the subject of dynamic exhaust.  I didn't think that related to specific exhaust or model, but as a general statement.   I was just trying to talk about it in  general sense also.
Semper Fi

1FSTRK

October 14, 2015, 04:05:54 PM #24 Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:46:22 PM by 1FSTRK
Does the ecm control the butterfly on either of those systems?
They seem to be selling sound control rather than performance so that is not really the same subject.