May 03, 2024, 05:43:02 AM

News:

Smack-A-Hoe 124

Started by turboprop, January 08, 2016, 05:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

I see those risers have the ears for gauges  :up:, are they one off? Where can I get some. Thanks for posting pictures of the engine parts, very nice.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Admiral Akbar

What's this bike getting for a carb?   What is the diameter of the intake port at the manifold..  Looking good.. I think the idea of Teflon coating the back side of the intakes is a cool idea.. Keeps crud from building up on the back of the intake valve.. 

rageglide

Those are Kid in a Candy Store pics...  When I get so many neat things like that I tend to sit and stare at them for a long time... lol 

Did you machine the counterbore in the rear head for a knock or head temp sensor?

I'm curious what the purpose of the coating on the intake valve is.

No Cents

lubrication for the intake valve.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

14Frisco

Quote from: Deye76 on February 17, 2016, 06:14:59 AM
I see those risers have the ears for gauges  :up:, are they one off? Where can I get some.

Yeah, I am interested in info about those risers as well...

Jonny Cash

I see those risers have the ears for gauges  :up:, are they one off? Where can I get some. Thanks for posting pictures of the engine parts, very nice.

They look like Forbidden Motorcycles.  these guys    https://www.facebook.com/FORBIDDENMOTORCYCLES-120239614688322/?fref=ts
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

rageglide

Quote from: No Cents on February 17, 2016, 09:22:00 AM

Ray

I presume stem/guide lubrication.   I was wondering what that would do in an EFI setup because of the atomization, whether it would have an effect there.  Hmmmm... I wonder what it would do in a DI engine which are more likely to see really nasty build up on the stem due to the lack of fuel washing them down...   Interesting technology no matter what. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: rageglide on February 17, 2016, 12:24:53 PM

Ray

I presume stem/guide lubrication.   I was wondering what that would do in an EFI setup because of the atomization, whether it would have an effect there.  Hmmmm... I wonder what it would do in a DI engine which are more likely to see really nasty build up on the stem due to the lack of fuel washing them down...   Interesting technology no matter what.

It's to keep crap off the intake valve.. Pull a motor apart and there in inevitably some crap on the intake valve.. Maybe a little from the guide some from reversion, fuel etc..

rageglide

Quote from: Max Headflow on February 17, 2016, 02:27:29 PM

Ray

It's to keep crap off the intake valve.. Pull a motor apart and there in inevitably some crap on the intake valve.. Maybe a little from the guide some from reversion, fuel etc..

Sure I get that, even said the same thing.  I can certainly see that as a huge benefit where no fuel washes the valve.  But Ed is using a carb so that benefit is less of a factor until the guide is showing a lot of wear and the mung starts to build up.

The true test will be what the pretty red valves look like in 10-15k miles. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: rageglide on February 17, 2016, 03:19:32 PM

Ray

Sure I get that, even said the same thing.  I can certainly see that as a huge benefit where no fuel washes the valve.  But Ed is using a carb so that benefit is less of a factor until the guide is showing a lot of wear and the mung starts to build up.

I suspect that it's not stem to guide tho.. You'll always be sucking some oil past the guide, even new.. If you aren't, valve will stick in the guide.

turboprop

Quote from: Max Headflow on February 17, 2016, 03:25:08 PM
Quote from: rageglide on February 17, 2016, 03:19:32 PM

Ray

I suspect that it's not stem to guide tho.. You'll always be sucking some oil past the guide, even new.. If you aren't, valve will stick in the guide.

Max, you are correct, not stem to guide.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

turboprop

Quote from: 14Frisco on February 17, 2016, 11:52:39 AM
I see those risers have the ears for gauges  :up:, are they one off? Where can I get some.

Yeah, I am interested in info about those risers as well...

The risers and clamp are made by Jimmy at Forbidden Motorcycles.

http://www.forbiddenmotorcycles.biz/#!blank/cfvg

turboprop

Quote from: Max Headflow on February 17, 2016, 08:14:01 AM
1. What's this bike getting for a carb?   2. What is the diameter of the intake port at the manifold..  3. Looking good.. 4. I think the idea of Teflon coating the back side of the intakes is a cool idea.. 5. Keeps crud from building up on the back of the intake valve..

1. Super G worked over by Steve Alsteadt.

2. 1.785"

3. Thank you.

4. So do some other people.

5. Yep.

rageglide

Quote from: Max Headflow on February 17, 2016, 03:25:08 PM

I agree with that comment, no lube is bad.

My presumption/question that it might be stem/guide lube was based on Rays comment, I have no experience with the coating and was asking... 

mattVA

I have a question if you don't mind answering. How did you get to this level of building out your bikes? Meaning it's obvious you're not just bolting parts together off the shelf. .do you do this as a hobby? History in racing or are you just in a circle with guys that do this sort of work?

Asking as someone who's just getting going, only 30 myself and finishing up my first cases up build and genuinely interested how you got to where you are now. I have a day job like most on this site and a family and would love to some day have projects like yours but not sure that day will be any time soon.

By the way I think we're local if you can drive to Zippers it's about 40min up 295 for me.

Thanks,
Matt
2009 FXDF

TXChop

Awesome looking stuff Ed, cant wait for more progress pics!

turboprop

February 17, 2016, 07:37:42 PM #116 Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:59:34 PM by turboprop
Quote from: mattVA on February 17, 2016, 06:26:54 PM
I have a question if you don't mind answering. How did you get to this level of building out your bikes? Meaning it's obvious you're not just bolting parts together off the shelf. .do you do this as a hobby? History in racing or are you just in a circle with guys that do this sort of work?

Asking as someone who's just getting going, only 30 myself and finishing up my first cases up build and genuinely interested how you got to where you are now. I have a day job like most on this site and a family and would love to some day have projects like yours but not sure that day will be any time soon.

By the way I think we're local if you can drive to Zippers it's about 40min up 295 for me.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the kind words.  I recently turned fifty and have a much younger wife and a young daughter but have been at this for a day or two.

My story is long and twisted. I am a retired enlisted soldier. Spent twenty something years on jump status in either direct action or strategic reconnaissance units. I have always built my own bikes. Even built one in my 3rd floor barracks room once. My bikes, along with my tools and work space have steadily improved and expanded over time. As a private, I would hang out in indi bikes shops, doing whatever was needed, learning, sweeping up, but most importantly being able to buy stuff at dealer cost. I also hung out at the local race tracks swap meets.

If I had to pin down why my bikes are the way they are, I would attribute their development to the leaders I worked with throughout my time in uniform. Those guys were always pushing to; expand the envelope, think outside the box, solve problems, search out new technology and leverage it against what we were trying to accomplish.  Networking with others and being able to garner support was a critical skill as was being able to differentiate signal from noise.

My red bike took me almost six years to build. Not because it was allot of work, it was allot of research, planning and saving for the next expensive piece or process. I prefer to set a goal and then move towards that goal. IMO, funding does not drive requirements, it only effects the rate of advancement towards meeting the goal.

The engine parts that I recently posted pics of; I bought that engine case over five years ago. Lots of thinking and saving since then, but still moving towards the sound of gunfire. 

Keep at it. Learn to differentiate the signal from noise, especially on this site. Lots of noise. Upgrade and expand your tools as you are able to. Keep your family involved, give them a voice and some input. Network, talk direct with manufactures. Try to buy direct, even if it costs a little bit more. Build and develop relationships within the industry.

Best of luck to you.

kd

KD

mattVA

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I can relate to working in not so ideal conditions my first cam change was done in a parking garage, later did my friends bike in the parking lot of his condo. When I got the bug to do exhaust and mess with the fender I packed up some tools and did that work in my work's garage middle of winter I think it was below 30 degrees with snow on the ground.

It's a relief to hear you're not just running out and buying all these parts overnight. There's some big ticket items there you have more patience than me in collecting parts for a project. After I finish up my engine build I might have to shift to the long term planning. In the meantime I want to get my buddy's 1988 FXSTC down here to work/learn on.

Thanks for posting the pics I don't get to see this type of work often.

Matt
2009 FXDF

Olie

Quote from: turboprop on February 17, 2016, 07:37:42 PM

My story is long and twisted. I am a retired enlisted soldier. Spent twenty something years on jump status in either direct action or strategic reconnaissance units. I have always built my own bikes. Even built one in my 3rd floor barracks room once. My bikes, along with my tools and work space have steadily improved and expanded over time. As a private, I would hang out in indi bikes shops, doing whatever was needed, learning, sweeping up, but most importantly being able to buy stuff at dealer cost. I also hung out at the local race tracks swap meets.

If I had to pin down why my bikes are the way they are, I would attribute their development to the leaders I worked with throughout my time in uniform. Those guys were always pushing to; expand the envelope, think outside the box, solve problems, search out new technology and leverage it against what we were trying to accomplish.  Networking with others and being able to garner support was a critical skill as was being able to differentiate signal from noise.

My red bike took me almost six years to build. Not because it was allot of work, it was allot of research, planning and saving for the next expensive piece or process. I prefer to set a goal and then move towards that goal. IMO, funding does not drive requirements, it only effects the rate of advancement towards meeting the goal.

The engine parts that I recently posted pics of; I bought that engine case over five years ago. Lots of thinking and saving since then, but still moving towards the sound of gunfire. 

Keep at it. Learn to differentiate the signal from noise, especially on this site. Lots of noise. Upgrade and expand your tools as you are able to. Keep your family involved, give them a voice and some input input. Network, talk direct with manufactures. Try to buy direct, even if it costs a little bit more. Build and develop relationships within the industry.
First off, thank you for your service. Active duty myself. They say the camera adds 10 pounds, those picks of the heads, intake, cylinders, etc can't do them any justice. They look massive and sexy as hell! I lvoe wrenching and can only dream of the day that my second retirement finally lets me do just that. You are an inspiration and thank you for sharing your work with us. Truly amazing.

No Cents

Ed...do you care to elaborate on what different types of coatings were used...and where?
My head chambers, valves, exhaust ports, and pistons were coated for me this time when the engine goes back together. This is the first time I will be using coatings like this in an assembly. Mine has different types of coatings applied to different parts. The piston itself will have three different types of coatings applied to them. The intake valves got a lubricant coating while the exhaust valves and port got a heat resistant type of coating.
I hope the use of these coatings cuts down on over all engine temperature.
Your parts look outstanding Ed!  :up:

Ray

turboprop

Quote from: No Cents on February 21, 2016, 04:04:50 AM
  Ed...do you care to elaborate on what different types of coatings were used...and where?
My head chambers, valves, exhaust ports, and pistons were coated for me this time when the engine goes back together. This is the first time I will be using coatings like this in an assembly. Mine has different types of coatings applied to different parts. The piston itself will have three different types of coatings applied to them. The intake valves got a lubricant coating while the exhaust valves and port got a heat resistant type of coating.
I hope the use of these coatings cuts down on over all engine temperature.
Your parts look outstanding Ed!  :up:

Ray

Thanks Ray. I think coatings will become more prevalent in the V-Twin arena in the future.

My parts were done by Poydyn through Zippers.

Ceramic on the piston crown, valve faces and exhaust ports. Dry Film Lubricant on the skirts and an oil-shedding coating on the underside of the piston.

In hind site, I would have liked to put the oil shedding coating on the inside of the engine cases, rocker boxes and a few other components. Not sure if it would have made a difference or not, cost is negligible, just curious.

http://www.polydyn.com/performance_coatings.htm

CowboyTutt

Ed, your post above on your background was one of the most articulate, honest and transparent posts I have ever read on any HD forum anywhere.  Thank you very much for your life time of service to our country and for making this forum a better place.  Your builds are awesome and I'm working on finishing one myself as money allows.   Regards,  -Tutt   

motolocopat

Nice Bikes, The Form Follows Function approach is what has always caught my eye in any type of build.
Excellent response on your background, how you go about  your builds and some life in general advice
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

No Cents

Ed...I know many years ago when I worked at A. Hines Racing Engines (Arnold the owner) use to have me totally de-burr the inside of the race engine blocks so they were as smooth as a babies bottom. I asked him why go thru all this trouble and work for no reason and Arnold said it helped and maybe someday I would understand why it did.  :nix:  I personally don't know if it ever did help...but Arnold paid me to do what he told me to do, and for me just having the opportunity to be in that shop was an everyday education for me that I will never forget.

Ray