May 02, 2024, 08:53:44 PM

News:

Smack-A-Hoe 124

Started by turboprop, January 08, 2016, 05:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rageglide

N-gin

I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

1FSTRK

Quote from: turboprop on January 17, 2016, 08:08:04 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 17, 2016, 07:04:17 PM
This pair beats a full house

To all, thanks for the kind words. Means allot.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the third FXR frame in the back. Also have a few more out in the barn, all with clear titles. Should keep me busy for a few years.

Which bike gets this engine?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

turboprop

The frame in the back is getting the new engine.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

Which forks and front wheel size on the black bike?
BTW admire the work you have done on these.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on January 18, 2016, 06:48:02 AM

The forks on both bikes are the same, only difference is the upper tubes on the red bike were sent out to be black anodized.

Front wheel is a harley narrow glide hub with 25mm bearings laced to a 17" x 3.5" Excel rim.

Fork legs are KYB 43mm inverted on custom trees.

Durwood

Quote from: turboprop on January 18, 2016, 05:33:01 PM
Quote from: Deye76 on January 18, 2016, 06:48:02 AM

The forks on both bikes are the same, only difference is the upper tubes on the red bike were sent out to be black anodized.

Front wheel is a harley narrow glide hub with 25mm bearings laced to a 17" x 3.5" Excel rim.

That sounds like a entree description in a menu at a gourmet restaurant.

sfmichael

All 3 of those bikes are awesome  :up: :up: :up: - it would be hard pick just one.   :nix:

If a guy was looking for an FXR, any year's better than others??   :fish:
Colorado Springs, CO.

turboprop

Quote from: sfmichael on January 19, 2016, 06:55:55 PM
All 3 of those bikes are awesome  :up: :up: :up: - it would be hard pick just one.   :nix:

If a guy was looking for an FXR, any year's better than others??   :fish:

As a general rule of thumb, the newer the better. Keep in mind, FXR production stopped after '94. Then in '99 and '00 Harley used up their remaining stock of frames with the CVO models.

In dealing with used FXR's its a rare bike that has not been tinkered with. Electrical systems are typically ratty, hardware is corroded, 'improvements' have been made. The issues with the various drivetrains, engines, suspensions and brakes are not unique to the FXR but are year specific. Good example is when harley changed from tapered main shafts to splined main shafts in the transmission. That change pretty much happened across all model at the same time.

A good FXR to score would be one that has a 39mm fork, twin front disks, a tapered transmission main shaft, mid controls, cast spoke wheels, oem factory soft bags. For the gas tank, I like the one with a smooth top and a single cap on the right side, next is the one with a speedo and tach on tank. Everything else will fall into place.

To buy an old FXR can be allot of fun. Done right they handle better than any production street model harley ever made and can be set up to tour almost as well as modern baggers. I have friends that have installed 103" TC drivetrains, complete with fly by wire fuel injection, electronic cruise control, integrated audio, etc. Guys like Paul Morris are racing them.  But in reality, FXRs are not for most of the current harley crowd.

Just Nick

The last sentence in the above reply is about as true as it comes, fxr's are not for modifying the frames they are not making any more. I had a guy come in earlier this year with his fxrc that had chopped the frame so stretch the front end way out there and he wanted us to fix his screw up I told him to kick rocks. I'm not a fxr guy because I don't own one always have wanted one but not yet I got a 85 or 86 fxrc in the shop that's been there for about a year that the guy only wants 4500 for I might try to pick it up later this year this thing is all original except for the pipes and carb real nice condition for a 30 year old bike with only 40k ish miles on it it's even numbered 1125 out of 1250 that year for the fxrc. The only problem I would have is I would want to make it look like one of turbos bikes and the wife might throw the towel in on another bike I completely redo. 

Turboprop great work on all your amazing bikes one day I will fulfill my dream of a fxr like yours
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

biggzed

Do these custom trees retain the stock geometry? Was just wondering if you had to make some some changes due to the smaller 17" front wheel/tire combo.

These bikes are really amazing. Beautiful to look at and built with a purpose. You are a craftsman.

Zach

Quote from: turboprop on January 18, 2016, 05:33:01 PM

turboprop

Thanks for the compliments.

I think I made three or four sets of 'mock up' trees before getting the trail where I wanted it. Stock FXR trail on my FXR was measured at 4.25" in its stock form. As the bikes sit now, 17" wheels front and rear, 2002 FL swing arms, 15" rear shocks, 32" forks, etc, the trail is very close to 4", so it steers a little bit quicker than a stock FXR.

turboprop

A couple members sent PMs asking to see pics of the third FXR, (the frame along the back wall).

Still collecting pieces. Will try and answer a few questions up front;

-FXDX fork, w/RaceTech springs and gold valves
-Harley/Brembo calipers
-Galfer wave rotors 2x front. 1x rear
-Fork Brake by Custom Cycle Engineering
-OEM frame w/clean title
-2002 swing arm with 2008 Brembo caliper, CCE spherical bearings and Glide Pro
-Harley cast wheels w/texture powder coat and WW ceramic bearings
-OEM mid controls
-OEM FXLR tank.
-Harley/Brembo brake & clutch master cylinders
-ProTaper handlebars with ⅞" ends
-Custom risers
-⅞" throttle sleeve FUW Harley switch housings (Speed Dealer)
-ProTaper grips
-Harley ΒΌ fairing w/Daymaker headlight
-OEM convertible saddle bags
-Pirrelli rubber
-Sport front fender by Deviant Fabrications
-Badlander seat
-Harley oem rear fender.
-Harley fender struts.
-Most hardware is, or will be, ARP 12pt stainless

HighLiner

Looks like it's going to be another badass bike.  What ya got planned for the turn signals?

Boost

Turboprop,
Your pm is full?

turboprop

Quote from: HighLiner on January 24, 2016, 10:43:39 AM
Looks like it's going to be another badass bike.  What ya got planned for the turn signals?

Not sure, I found them in the shed when I was looking for other stuff. Aside from my bagger, I don't think I have every had a bike with turn signals. Will probably wire them up as turn signals.

turboprop

Quote from: Boost on January 27, 2016, 05:19:16 PM
Turboprop,
Your pm is full?

Unless its something really personal, I would rather keep everything in the open.

turboprop

Yesterday I picked up the heads, cylinders, pistons, crankcase and flywheels from Zippers.

The heads have a 2.150" intake and a 1.680" exhaust and were setup to run the new RedShift 687 cam. The chamber, valve faces and exhaust ports have a thermal barrier treatment.

The pistons started out as a blank dome from Axtell. A brilliant engineer at Zippers named Adam H and a master machinist named Dave Z machined the valve pockets and the reverse dome. Compression is set at 12.0:1. The crowns have a thermal barrier treatment and the skirts have a different type of coating. I forget exactly what it is.

Plan is to run the RedShift 647 cams initially and then maybe transition to the RS687 cams.

Also shown is the S&S 3-Stage oil pump, forged cam plate, Baisley rockers, S&S spread pattern cases w/Evo style rear mount, Hoban Bros crankshaft built with S&S wheels and Carrillo rods, S&S premium lifters, Smith Bros push rods, Super D intake, Axtell barrels.

Hossamania

That is a table full of beauty....
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motolocopat

MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

N-gin

Looking good..
Your inbox is full
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

TorQuePimp

The head porter provide you with any flow numbers ?

Durwood

Ohio HD

No Cents

excellent job Ed!   :up:
now get that baby bolted together.  :smilep:

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae