April 30, 2024, 09:53:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lots of Internal Pics + Good Tech Info

Started by City Chicken, August 23, 2016, 09:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytuner

Good pictures, good info thanks.  I bet they saved $.07 a unit by only having 3 screw holding the stator

prodrag1320

Quote from: SP33DY on August 24, 2016, 04:37:18 AM
Can anybody post up the part numbers for the cylinder heads? My local dealer said he does not have any part numbers for it yet. I need to get a set to put on the flowbench.

ill check with a dealer buddy,he already sent me pics of the heads.ports,rockers,ect

SP33DY

Quoteill check with a dealer buddy,he already sent me pics of the heads.ports,rockers,ect

Thank-you! I'm sure I'm not the only one here who needs to investigate the new heads!

prodrag1320

water cooled 107" front 16500508,rear 16500498 (weird sounding #`s,but that's what he gave me)

SP33DY

Thank-you for the part numbers. I'll get some ordered.

In the last couple of years they have been putting new parts in a different format than what we're used to.

Ohio HD

Quote from: joe_lyons on August 24, 2016, 06:21:53 AM
Quote from: rich1 on August 24, 2016, 05:22:18 AM
HD first used the oil cooled heads on the XR1200. I owned one and was a member of an XR1200 forum. One of the members left his bike at Zippers as a test mule and they were very impressed with how effective cooling the heads with oil was. I realize this is a different animal but just pointing out it can be effective.
Better than nothing.

Suzuki used oil cooling very effectively in the mid 2000's on naked bikes. I totally agree, it's better than nothing.     :up:

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 25, 2016, 03:09:00 PM
HD first used the oil cooled heads on the XR1200. I owned one and was a member of an XR1200 forum. One of the members left his bike at Zippers as a test mule and they were very impressed with how effective cooling the heads with oil was. I realize this is a different animal but just pointing out it can be effective.
Better than nothing.

Suzuki used oil cooling very effectively in the mid 2000's on naked bikes. I totally agree, it's better than nothing.     :up:
It's a good method. Just wish they had have (internally) run the system rather then all that "Potty mouth" hanging all over the place for plumbing.
Ron

04 SE Deuce

I can remember it back in 1985 on the first GSXR's.

Piston Broke

Quote from: FSG on August 25, 2016, 12:05:12 AMI'm interested in getting a closer look at the outside of the rotor

Does lightening it in that way make any benefit? Or is it for cooling?

Ohio HD

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on August 25, 2016, 03:22:45 PM

I can remember it back in 1985 on the first GSXR's.

Could very well be, I just know about the mid 2000's as a buddy had one.

jbexeter

Quote from: rbabos on August 25, 2016, 03:12:03 PM

It's a good method. Just wish they had have (internally) run the system rather then all that "Potty mouth" hanging all over the place for plumbing.
Ron

External oil lines (Ok, they were for lube to the top end, not cooling to the top end) were a very common feature of many british bikes, usually done with banjo bolts and copper washers which you had to take off and re-anneal now and again, and were often a source of leaks (also dodgy pipes that did not have a strain relief loop in them) until everyone with a clue started to use dowty (hydraulic) washers with them and suddenly all the problems and leaks went away.

Vincent was known as the plumbers nightmare because of all the external lines.

I'll agree that in this day of CNC machining it should be trivial to run internal oilways, but I don't see any reason for the external ones to be a source of problems, even when the engines get ten plus years old.

I (now) fondly remember making a (return) night trip from just south of Manchester back down to the south west on the old BSA A10 in the very early 80's and noticing a loss of power...

Pulled over to the side and the bimbo on the back (the reason I rode up there, to collect her at the end of term) asked why we were stopping, said something is wrong, losing power, oh she says, is that why my right foot has been hot and slippery for the past 10 minutes........ :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BSA used to make oilways by drilling channels that intersected at the end, and then plugging them externally at the intersects, and one of these plugs came out and dumped the oil over the pillion peg until suddenly the bag is dry, couldn't see any of that at night of course....

When I upgraded to my first HD (a shovel) I was instantly suspicious of the oil lines, but hand on heart I cannot recall a single weep / drop / leak of any kind ever, hell the twinkie has an external oil bag.... it was the japs that made the wet sump work invisibly well... had guzzis and dukes and a load of other wet sump bikes, and all of them could and did ocassionaly puke a *very* heavy breather mist over everything... never ever had a jap bike do that.

Tynker

Better than nothing.

Victory and Yamaha's 113 cid engines all have had oil cooling for years, and they work very well..
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

smokedyvr

August 25, 2016, 09:20:22 PM #62 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:26:04 PM by smokedyvr
Welcome to the 8 ball.....craeight head....or whatever. Hopefully it does better than the Twin A did! God I love my EVO's!  :teeth:
79 80"FLH, 86 FXR, 96 FLHR

Billy

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

twincamzz

So yesterday I went n took a test ride on one of these new Milwaukee Eight 107s. Pretty impressed. Before the ride I was talking to the salesguy & asked if these motors are still roller bearing at crankshaft, or did HD revert to the tapered bearing set up. He told me these were so new that he did not know. So I asked if they had a service manual that we could look at to see & he said they didn't have any manuals yet...60 or so M8s, but no service manuals. lol.

* I tried the link shown at very first post & could never get it fully work. Can anyone tell me, roller bearings or did HD revert to the good old tapered timken bearings at crank ?
not all who wander are lost...

glens

twincamzz

not all who wander are lost...

joe_lyons

".050" fiber head gasket. Piston sits .010" shallow of cylinder. 88.5cc chambers."

Not my pics or comment but a friend took one apart.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

BUBBIE

:missed:

First Above picture:

Looks like they took care of the Rocker Shaft Noise...  :SM:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Piston Broke

Looks like we are set up for a triple spark plug head upgrades!

I'm sorry, I've not been paying attention. Is it dual spark with one right in the middle? Room for one more at the other end?

harleytuner

CCP at 240+ and spark knock is ridiculous.  Way to go HD

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Nastytls

Quote from: harleytuner on August 26, 2016, 05:29:41 PM

Can you elaborate? Are you seeing this on a bike on your dyno? Are these bikes at 240ccp from the factory?

BUBBIE

Quote from: joe_lyons on August 26, 2016, 06:40:58 PM
Quote from: harleytuner on August 26, 2016, 05:29:41 PM
Cam miss timed?

Gotta have the Intake Really OFF n Closing Early for 240...   :doh:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

FSG

QuoteNot my pics or comment but a friend took one apart.

can you ask friend what his thoughts are regarding the ends of the rocker arms being bearing/thrust surfaces and perhaps the recess in the end is for oil