April 30, 2024, 07:05:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lots of Internal Pics + Good Tech Info

Started by City Chicken, August 23, 2016, 09:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbexeter

looks like not a hell of a lot of piston skirt to transfer all that torque to the bores.

arguably the cylinder head is the most important part of an IC engine, and the new one just leaves me uneasy, what's this, some sort of breather, or an oil particle filter for all those tiny galleries around the valve stems??

https://www.facebook.com/bertsbarracuda/photos/a.154215881310217.38250.153560658042406/1109487625783033/?type=3&theater

rageglide

Interesting breather design.  Will be a lot more difficult for oil to fill up the breather and carry out to the atmosphere.

I wonder if the additional passage in the cylinder feeds the breather.  Would make a lot more sense than the old style which often has the pickup side fo the breather immersed in oil.   :up:

rbabos

Quote from: jbexeter on August 23, 2016, 10:24:31 AM
looks like not a hell of a lot of piston skirt to transfer all that torque to the bores.

arguably the cylinder head is the most important part of an IC engine, and the new one just leaves me uneasy, what's this, some sort of breather, or an oil particle filter for all those tiny galleries around the valve stems??

https://www.facebook.com/bertsbarracuda/photos/a.154215881310217.38250.153560658042406/1109487625783033/?type=3&theater
Just a larger condenser area for vapors before venting out of engine. Let's face it that mini disc pad was a joke before.
Ron

VDeuce

Should be fun changing that second spark plug...

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

SP33DY

Quotelooks like a lot of pressure on the entire top end, from cam to rockers now with 2 valve springs to push

Those two valve springs probably won't take any any more force than a single beehive on a TC.

rich1

Looking forward to the experts on here looking at the photos.  And pointing out what they see and strengths and weaknesses.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: SP33DY on August 23, 2016, 11:46:15 AM
Quotelooks like a lot of pressure on the entire top end, from cam to rockers now with 2 valve springs to push

Those two valve springs probably won't take any any more force than a single beehive on a TC.
:idunno: prolly right, I just can't wait for the stage I - III upgrades + new heads requiring new rocker boxes or rocker arms..etc
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

wfolarry

wfolarry

Quote from: Pete_Vit on August 23, 2016, 11:26:34 AM
Quote from: City Chicken on August 23, 2016, 09:16:13 AM
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/harleys-all-new-milwaukee-eight-big-twin#page-8

looks like a lot of pressure on the entire top end, from cam to rockers now with 2 valve springs to push  :nix:

Lighter valves, lighter springs & less lift = less work performed.

No Cents

August 23, 2016, 12:59:14 PM #11 Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:06:50 PM by No Cents
 just looking at the pictures the first thing I noticed was the front cylinder looks to be offset to the right from the rear cylinder...then the cases are totally different for the lifters...no more pins holding the lifters straight in their bore.
And how would you change the plug under the tank...without lifting the tank off.  :nix:  just a few things I noticed.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

rbabos

Quote from: No Cents on August 23, 2016, 12:59:14 PM
just looking at the pictures the first thing I noticed was the front cylinder looks to be offset to the right from the rear cylinder...then the cases are totally different for the lifters...no more pins holding the lifters straight in their bore.
And how would you change the plug under the tank...without lifting the tank off.  :nix:  just a few things I noticed.

Ray
I see no cyl offset but lifter bores are due to the longer camshaft.
Ron

Soft 02

07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

-deuced-

Some good pics there. Spark plugs will probably last for years. Still got forked conrods, cylinders are inline. Small end and lifter bores look a bit rough. Is the counterbalancer drive gear adjustable? Is the oil pump 3 stage? Torrington inner cam bearing? Same cases for all families? Rocker shafts appear to be locked down. Oil lines in rocker arms are interesting.

CowboyTutt

Is that gear drive set-up on the crank-driven balancer going to be noisy?  Victory bikes sound terrible at start up and idling (at least the last one I heard years ago did).  Whirred away like a gear driven cam Honda V4.  Hope not.  The Softail set-up was chain driven IIRC. 

-Tutt 

Soft 02

The pin and slot look more worrisome. Gear must be made of Unubtanium.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

rageglide

I was wondering the same about that pin and slot... Not sure why they would use an arrangement like that.  Would think it'd clunk on and off throttle or at startup. 

Of course these new cranks won't shift so gear whine shouldn't be a problem...

-deuced-

Looks like timing marks on those counterbalancer gears. Would altering gear position effect balance factor? 75% for rubber mount and 100% for solid mount.

rbabos

Too hard to tell from the pics but I suspect on that lightening hole only half is removed with a round hole in the bottom half. To slop around like that would be nonsensical.
Ron

TXChop

Who's gonna be the first to shear the pin off? Seen it many times on vanos units on foreign car camshafts.

TXChop

Any notice the ball bag fan. Me thinks this EPA motor may run hot from the factory.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/coolflow-fan

And the giant fanned oil cooler upgrade.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fan-assisted-oil-cooler-kit

FSG

Quote from: -deuced- on August 23, 2016, 04:34:39 PM
Looks like timing marks on those counterbalancer gears. Would altering gear position effect balance factor? 75% for rubber mount and 100% for solid mount.

how much would it need to move for the weight to hit the big end    :nix:

-deuced-

Yeah, good point. I don't think it's a dowel pin, perhaps more of a safeguard. I'm thinking counterbalancer sprocket is a press fit, like tc softails. If it does move it's only going to go that far.

yobtaf103

Quote from: FSG on August 24, 2016, 12:53:24 AM
Quote from: -deuced- on August 23, 2016, 04:34:39 PM

how much would it need to move for the weight to hit the big end    :nix:

Must have missed it , so these are not rigid mount still some rubber mount?
Seen the video mention they could have gone 100% but too smooth (for character), be interesting to see which way they go on Softail/ Dyna

H,mm the big heat management cure is oil cooled heads in the main line motors, (still avoiding the unsightly radiator problem since the nova) is there a fan on the oil rad?