April 30, 2024, 07:36:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

houston we have a problem oh i mean harley

Started by sbcharlie, June 11, 2017, 01:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbcharlie

i cannot believe what is happening   the 114 are melting the balancer bearing and destroy the engine
found out over weekend    i can not believe we having a bearing issue again with a new model.  thought they would have learned from the 99 twin cam bearing issue. the cage is made of plastic  this is going to get interesting sbc

CndUltra88

The guy who counted those beans to save Mother HD a few pennies got promoted and his notes got lost.
Well, I guess I'll have to watch this thread for more learning.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

tmwmoose

Harley's don't run hot you just ask Harley :slap:

Hossamania

If the 114s are going, how long before the 107s do the same?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

twincam8888

Cheap cam bearings took out Evo engines too. Will they never learn.  :wtf: Makes me angry actually. :gob:  Might get that FTF tattoo after all. LOL
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Ohio HD

How many are known to have had this happen? 

fbn ent

And THAT'S why many are going back to older models both EVO and Carbed Twinkies. Seems every two steps forward have one back. Awful!  :turd:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

hattitude

Thanks for the info......

This is the first I've heard of it. Is this a well kept secret that has affected numerous bikes or is this a few isolated cases at this point?

There are several shops running M8s through numerous dyno runs, testing performance parts. I gotta believe that is a harder life than normal street riding. The only problems I've heard them complain about are slipping clutch and oil migrating from tranny to primary...

I'm seriously thinking of getting an M8, but this issue would give me pause.....

K4FXD

Could this cause the failures that are posted on this and other forums?
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

rbabos

Quote from: sbcharlie on June 11, 2017, 01:58:53 PM
i cannot believe what is happening   the 114 are melting the balancer bearing and destroy the engine
found out over weekend    i can not believe we having a bearing issue again with a new model.  thought they would have learned from the 99 twin cam bearing issue. the cage is made of plastic  this is going to get interesting sbc
Well, I do remember the outer bearings in my 07 softail were INA with the plastic cage. Never heard of issues with that bearing. Mind you the inner was a nice beefy ball bearing. The 07 and up softails also had lighter weights to keep the case from wallowing out at the bearing holes. Maybe in the case of the M8 the balancer mass it too high for it's bearings. Should not happen, like you say from past experiences.
Ron

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

sbcharlie

There are 4 police bikes in Cincinnati  and another north of there if someone could send me an email I can forward pictures love those bearing made in India  I going to have to take my engine apart since it probably not in warranty plus I do not want someone flat rating my engine apart sad it's working great don't trust along road trip with some dip "Potty mouth" taking apart  I sent mce pictures of this issue     It's so far the 114.   This to me can turn into a big issue cam bearing were easy to fix   I was told Harley was replacing engines  sbc

Bike31

June 11, 2017, 11:35:44 PM #12 Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:46:33 PM by Bike31
Your comments have been called out on the HD Forum in their M8 section. Not my issue as I'm neutral, but you might want to better substantiate your thread so if there's a problem it's indeed a valid claim that needs addressing. Pics etc. might help. Nothing wrong with a warning I might add.

Dan89flstc

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

1FSTRK

Quote from: sbcharlie on June 11, 2017, 05:58:22 PM
There are 4 police bikes in Cincinnati  and another north of there if someone could send me an email I can forward pictures love those bearing made in India  I going to have to take my engine apart since it probably not in warranty plus I do not want someone flat rating my engine apart sad it's working great don't trust along road trip with some dip "Potty mouth" taking apart  I sent mce pictures of this issue     It's so far the 114.   This to me can turn into a big issue cam bearing were easy to fix   I was told Harley was replacing engines  sbc

Are the bearings and balance weight different in the 114? What would cause the 114 to have this problem and not the 107?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

sbcharlie

i sent pictures to fsg this morning  it looks like a heat problem   bearing made in India 

fbn ent

rbabos

Quote from: fbn ent on June 12, 2017, 05:15:47 AM
It's probably the oil  :SM:
Not really, and I know you are joking . If you operate the engine below 3500 to prevent oil transfer from trans to primary the balancer won't be an issue either.  :hyst: High rpms is most likey taking the balancer out for what ever reason. Case mass rigidity in bearing bore or bearings itself possibly.   107 and 114 operate at the same oil temps so I don't think the heat argument carries much weight. The 114 could likely be run harder showing the problem sooner but a basic flaw could still exist in both. Miles and time will show that up. Let's face it, if the condition doesn't exist, we wouldn't be reading about it a few times already.
Ron

14GuineaPig

Just a question about the police bikes.  From HD's brochure, the police models come with the oil cooled 107 M8.  Does Cincinnati have 114 ci motors in their police bikes?

FSG

fbn ent

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

1FSTRK

I wonder if this is the cause of the broken cases in the other thread?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

04 SE Deuce

Doesn't look like the sky is falling,  just the cage disintegrating and the rollers falling out.

I love it when reality and internet intersect on occasion.

borno