gear box main shaft and inner clutch hub upgrade to splines? can it be done?

Started by 1340evo, July 07, 2017, 12:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Well.. sometimes you're best not knowing, but having taken my primary in bits to inspect the stator and replace the primary chain.. I've found something quite nasty on the clutch hub / shaft.. its a 1989 FXR so on a taper with a key... and you guessed it... it's moved and caused damage... bugger!.... so I need new bits..but I have seen a post where it says a 1990 splined shaft and a 1990 inner hub will fit right in there using the existing bits... anyone know the detail of this and the part numbers?....  :dgust:

Also, can you change the main shaft with the box in the bike???   :smile:

I'm going to stay in for the rest of July now... as my luck has just hit rock bottom !!!  :idunno:

prodrag1320

we used to do it all the time back in the day, main shaft # Andrews,296900,oem# 35042-90.you`ll also need a `90 up clutch

1340evo

Thanks for that and the numbers the one I thought  :teeth: ... but I'm also told you can just buy a hub that will use all the existing clutch bits.... so think that may be the 90-93 hub unit?

Can you do thin in the bike?

thanks again.....

1340evo

Ok... so ive looked further... so i need the full 90/93 FXR of 90/96 FL clutch with the splined shaft....

does anything need setting up / shimming?

Can it be done in the bike?... thanks

rigidthumper

The case can stay in the frame-follow the procedures to R&R the mainshaft in the service manual.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

1340evo

Dont have the manual  :oops:   any pointers.. will have to get one... does the inner primary stay on or come off?...  just this bit of info and i can get started... thanks

1340evo

BTW.. just looking around for bits.. and the Elvis place has a full clutch, chain and front sprocket... but he's asking $500 plus for it... wowzer.. im sure you could build a new one for that?...

Mark222

Yeah, Elvis is generally pretty proud of the stuff he has.   Less of the old stuff to be found every year though....

Mark

Burnout

FXR power train shares a lot of parts with the FLT.

Don't buy parts from the most expensive source on the interwebz.
If you do, call him up and haggle with him, make him earn it....
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

does the inner primary stay on or come off?...  just this bit of info and i can get started... thanks

bootit

1340evo

Dan89flstc

`90-`93 clutch has the same starter ring gear (66 tooth) and primary chain sprocket (37 tooth) sizes as your current setup.

The clutch will probably be the most expensive part of this job, whole gearsets can usually be found on ebay for around 200 bucks.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Burnout

Quote from: 1340evo on July 09, 2017, 04:57:41 AM
Thats great.. thanks.. will make a start tonight :)

You are going to need tools to remove and reinstall the bearing race for the mainshaft support bearing in the inner primary.

While you are in there, you need to replace the final drive pulley, seal, and spacer with -94 parts.
Don't put it back together with the early stuff or you will be doing this all over again.

1340evo

ok.. thanks.. whats the differance?.. the bike was re-built about 2000 miles ago and all these bits replaced.. so i may already have them...

there is a breaker in the UK who may have a clutch.. need to call him Monday... if he has, its game on... If not I may have to stay with the taper as it gets very expensive...  unless there is a cheaper after market clutch I could use??

hogpipes1

The other weak link is the trans pulley. stock the hub is say 1/2 " with going out in garage to measure up ,  the  newer upgraded ones 94 or 95  are about 3/4 " thick . The old ones like to rip out the splines  and leave you on the side of the road. 1st sign is  trans oil leaking along back side of pri- cover.
If it's been done fine , do it if not .

1340evo

Quote from: Burnout on July 09, 2017, 06:08:37 AM
Quote from: 1340evo on July 09, 2017, 04:57:41 AM
Thats great.. thanks.. will make a start tonight :)

You are going to need tools to remove and reinstall the bearing race for the mainshaft support bearing in the inner primary.

While you are in there, you need to replace the final drive pulley, seal, and spacer with -94 parts.
Don't put it back together with the early stuff or you will be doing this all over again.

Ok.. in there now and what you are saying is all adding up.. I'm making a puller to remove the mainshaft support inner (I assume the re-fit just uses a tube and you screw it back on).. is there a dimension for this?

The seal you refer and the spacer...I'm not sure what these are just yet... The bike has a chain conversion so no pulley issues... so do I have to remove the sprocket?.. I thought the main shaft just pulled through and assumed the main drive just disenguaged internaly?...

Burnout

CHAIN CONVERSION   :doh:

Now this comes out.....

Who's chain conversion?
Was the spacer updated then?

All this business about the pulley and spacer assumes you have stock parts.

Take the chain sprocket off and post a pic, and someone will tell you which spacer you have.
Changing the spacer will require changing the sprocket too.

No you do not have to remove the sprocket to service the mainshaft.

1340evo

yes.. it was a full kit.. so guess the spacer / seal will be okay... nothing showing at all leak wise... so should be good... I'll have a look tonight and see what make it is,, maybe pull the sprockett off if I can :)

1340evo

[attachimg=2]GENUINE MOTORCYCLE STOREHOUSE PRODUCT
MCS PART NUMBER : 901930

The sprocket is a

OFFSET TRANS SPROCKET
24 TOOTH
WITH 5mm SPACER

SPROCKET IS 22mm OVERALL WIDTH

FITS SOFTAIL MODELS FROM 1990-2006
AND FXR MODELS FROM 1985-1994

Looking down there are no leaks but the spacer and seal are probably of the original type?... cant see anything in the file to suggest otherwise.. but you can tell the seal is new.... there is still grease on the spacer from being fitted...

[attach=0]

Burnout

That is the early spacer.

I don't know how that holds up with a chain, the pulley probably already fell off...

Watch for lock screw to shear off.

1340evo

OK.. so whats the process to upgrade?.. Is it from the inside or a simple outside job ;)

1340evo

Tell me more on the spacer bit.. whats up with the old ones?... is the new one bigger OD?.. so guess the seal is smaller?...

Dan89flstc

The late configuration spacer has a larger outside diameter (the oil seal has a smaller inside diameter, of course).

The spacer is also shorter, because the transmission pulley is thicker.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

1340evo

Great info.. thanks.. so with it being shorter I can't fit it anyway.... unless there is one made for the job... Posts above suggest I can just replace it with a new one.. nothing about filling the gap as it's shorter?.. Wonder if its an upgrade parts thats available?... cheers