April 27, 2024, 12:17:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stator and rectifier

Started by 1340evo, July 21, 2017, 09:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

July 21, 2017, 09:30:38 AM Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:35:28 AM by 1340evo
Hi All.. just starting to put thing back together and started thinking about the electrics.. only done a few hundred miles on the bike since I got it, but somthing strange is going on with the electrics?.. I think it maybe that when the reg is getting hot, its stopping working but I have a small volt meter to put on to see whats coming out (once i get the greabox and primary back together)

but just looking at the stator.. the wire is very thick... measures 0.065" where as the picture in the manual shows smaller wire. so that got me thinking...  :unsure:  what does the wire size do to the output of the unit? it must be aftermarket as its not original... but, do you get less amps at lower revs with thicker wire.. or something else?.. it has to make a differance?

And what does that do to the reg?... I have two reg's with the bike.. one fitted thats like new.. and one that look brand new as it has talk on the wires.. but I can see a bit of whitness on the paint around the screw holes, so it has been fitted.... so why two reg's.. both very new?

When I got the bike it had 2000 miles on it since full re-build.. ran it a day or two and it would not start.. duff battery.. so go a new one... and now thats playing up.. volts look okay when i tested it before... but can it be getting too many AMP's and blowing it?

Are there cheapo reg's on the market that don't like the thick wire 32 amp stators??...

as I say, i can test a few bits once back up and running but wondered if anyone had come accross 'parts' issues before, and certain types not working right together?...
BTW.. everything is earthed right so not that...  :wink:

[attach=0]  

Pete_Vit

I've only replaces 3 stators, one Excel and other were Cycle Electric 32A and I've never see the winding's like that or wires that thick
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

1340evo

Thats what I was thinking... big wire?... but I went to the indy parts shop to look at one he had... and it was just the same?...
Are these cheapo aftermarket units?... what will thicker wire do??... it must have some effect... or put another way... HD use thinner wire for a reason i guess...

Pete_Vit

:nix: - I've only saw two different manufacturers - the last one I got looks like this
[attach=0]
the winding on the pix you have look loose - does it matter ?  :nix:
looks line my grandson wound that one

1340evo

not loose.. think its just the size means you cant bend it as much LOL.... but how does it alter its performance?... it must have some impact or everyone would do it this way... less wire, less time to wind... less chance of it breaking?... but they dont for a reason i guess... ?

JC 92FXRS

The OP's stator looks like a cheap aftermarket unit (Drag Specialties maybe). The thinner the wire the better...you get better copper density in the winding. Better output and more stable....but more expensive to build. Have a good look at a CE stator and you'll see the difference. My local Indy tried to sell me the cheap one too...nope.
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

1340evo

July 22, 2017, 12:12:21 AM #6 Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:23:09 AM by 1340evo
yes.. I agree... .. is there a good type to buy.. no CE in the UK... what about CC??.. may as well do it whilst its in bits

PC_Hater

Yes there is CE in the UK!
Motorcycle Storehouse sells them, and my local Harley dealer uses Motorcycle Storehouse.
Custom Chrome also do them.
Take a sharp intake of breath and get the full Cycle Electric 3-phase kit. Yes it really is that much better!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

1340evo

July 22, 2017, 02:09:19 AM #8 Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:48:43 AM by 1340evo
[attach=0]

getting more confused now  :unsure:   my rotor has 12 magnetts on it.. most have 6?... my stator has 12 coils on it which looks okay

where you see 12 magnet systems they appear to be heigh output or 3 phase systems?... looks like i have a right mixed bag.. will these ever work together?.

Going to post in General... see if i can find any expertsd on this ;)

PC_Hater

How many wires come out of the stator?
2 = single phase
3 = 3 phase
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

1340evo

Burnout

Far as I know HD did not embrace 3 phase alternators until the twin cam models.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

chipthedonkey

Quote from: Burnout on July 23, 2017, 05:18:47 AM
Far as I know HD did not embrace 3 phase alternators until the twin cam models.

Even then not at the beginning.  Didn't until 2006.

1340evo

I did find the rotor.. its made by Ultima for midwest Motorcycles... can't find much on it but it appears to be for 1 phase... magnets are strong enough... will try a new stator with thinner wire, better wound...

Reddog74usa

CE is an excellent choice however I have also used Spyke charging systems with no issues at all. Great quality, made in California, U.S.A.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

1340evo

yes.. ive re-fit the Spyke and existing rotor.. put a new reg on.. so will see what happens when I can get it started.. thanks for comments!

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Reddog74usa on July 26, 2017, 07:20:37 PM
CE is an excellent choice however I have also used Spyke charging systems with no issues at all. Great quality, made in California, U.S.A.
:agree: