April 27, 2024, 03:24:20 AM

News:

've calibration

Started by Paul in Alaska, July 31, 2017, 04:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul in Alaska

So how are he's initially generated? I had a bad stumble from 2000 to 3000. Tried everything cause there was this ditch in the table. I finally increased ve in the ditch region on both front and rear...guess what...stumble going away.. my question remains....how are the VE tables generated in the first place? Why not manually set all to 100 percent and vtune to calibrate?
Been riding, dragging feet on the ice and snow...

Coyote

The base maps are tunes done for a specific build.  Since your bike is different you have a starting place but still need to customize the map to your specific bike.  Setting all the VEs to 100 would be far worse than starting with a base map for a build similar to what you have.

Low RPM areas can be some of the toughest to get mapped (on the street) using auto tunes alone.  Looking at the data log will often show clearly that an area is rich or lean even when the auto tune has not collected enough good data to make the call.  Also, if you are too far out, the auto tunes can have an issue.

Paul in Alaska

No map for mine so kinda starting from scratch

Paul in Alaska

120 st with 09 headpipe...widebands...

Paul in Alaska

And stock narrow bands...

Paul in Alaska

What really determines if you raise or lower the ve value for a given cell or cells?

Coyote

Quote from: Paul in Alaska on July 31, 2017, 06:25:38 PM
What really determines if you raise or lower the ve value for a given cell or cells?

If it's lean, you raise the VE, rich, lower it..

Coyote

Quote from: Paul in Alaska on July 31, 2017, 05:56:53 PM
No map for mine so kinda starting from scratch

TTS doesn't have a 120 map?

KiwiRob

TTS lists the calibrations with F engine identifier code for 113 & 120 engines. In my case with an '07 Soft Tail I have three cals (FNL, FNM, FPJ176 ).
All the other levels seem to have at least a couple of cals for 113/120 engines. - Rob

wolf_59

Feedback from the O2 sensor voltage tells the ecm determines if it is running rich or lean, but if you are too far off on the VE's rich or lean it will not pick up on it with the NB sensors

harpwrench

I'd set all the afr/lambda to an open loop value, such as 13.2/.899, use the widebands to get it roughed in. Then select the block you want closed loop and work on that with the narrow bands. Pipes can do weird stuff and part of the art is figuring out when that's happening. If you're digging a hole at say 60-70 kpa, then fully trusting v-tune/egr, it can dig a deeper ditch than it should. The object is to make it run nicely, with good gas mileage, and it's not necessarily "right" to get rid of the ditch. Mine has one, I set the lambda at 70 kpa to .972 and went by feel a little at a time raising VE to get rid of a flat spot, also using egr to make the kpa below that feel right. Very small changes can make a big difference in mpg as well as heat on your legs, and that's info you can use in addition to what the data is showing. Caveat I'm not a pro tuner just done a lot of street tuning as well as having dyno tunes, and have had good luck making my bikes run nicely.

Paul in Alaska

Quote from: KiwiRob on August 01, 2017, 01:19:39 AM
TTS lists the calibrations with F engine identifier code for 113 & 120 engines. In my case with an '07 Soft Tail I have three cals (FNL, FNM, FPJ176 ).
All the other levels seem to have at least a couple of cals for 113/120 engines. - Rob
Do not see a cal for a 120. did a search using the TTS search and no luck.

Paul in Alaska

After several more good vtune sessions, the ditch is starting to form again as well as the stumble returning, 2000 to 3000 rpm, 40 to 100 map. This is my problem area. Bikes run quite nice otherwise...above 3000 rpm that is....
I am using an 09 headpipe. I added small bungs for the narrow bands. wonder if the narrowbands are cross talking? i am quite sure i put them in a position to prevent this... i used this pipe when it was a stock CVO 110 motor and it seemed to work fine...no stumble...

Paul in Alaska

Quote from: Coyote on July 31, 2017, 06:28:52 PM

If it's lean, you raise the VE, rich, lower it..
Thanks...

Paul in Alaska

Quote from: harpwrench on August 01, 2017, 08:06:55 AM
I'd set all the afr/lambda to an open loop value, such as 13.2/.899, use the widebands to get it roughed in. Then select the block you want closed loop and work on that with the narrow bands. Pipes can do weird stuff and part of the art is figuring out when that's happening. If you're digging a hole at say 60-70 kpa, then fully trusting v-tune/egr, it can dig a deeper ditch than it should. The object is to make it run nicely, with good gas mileage, and it's not necessarily "right" to get rid of the ditch. Mine has one, I set the lambda at 70 kpa to .972 and went by feel a little at a time raising VE to get rid of a flat spot, also using egr to make the kpa below that feel right. Very small changes can make a big difference in mpg as well as heat on your legs, and that's info you can use in addition to what the data is showing. Caveat I'm not a pro tuner just done a lot of street tuning as well as having dyno tunes, and have had good luck making my bikes run nicely.
Thanks

KiwiRob

Quote from: Paul in Alaska on August 01, 2017, 03:17:18 PM

The cals I mentioned are listed in the TTS cal listings (PDF) file for 1856cc (113) engines. They can be used for 1962cc (120) also. The cal listing file is downloaded with the TTS updates. - Rob

harpwrench

Quote from: Paul in Alaska on July 31, 2017, 06:02:46 PM
120 st with 09 headpipe...widebands...

What kind of wide band set up are you using

Paul in Alaska

Paul in Alaska

Quote from: KiwiRob on August 02, 2017, 01:43:12 AM

The cals I mentioned are listed in the TTS cal listings (PDF) file for 1856cc (113) engines. They can be used for 1962cc (120) also. The cal listing file is downloaded with the TTS updates. - Rob
Got it....maybe i will switch calibrations and start over.

KiwiRob

Quote from: Paul in Alaska on August 02, 2017, 10:41:45 AM
Quote from: KiwiRob on August 02, 2017, 01:43:12 AM

Got it....maybe i will switch calibrations and start over.

You will more than likely need to increase the engine displacement in the tuning constants another 20%, say 140 to 145cid. At least that's what I needed for the 176 cal that I used to stay under the 127 VE ceiling in some of the cells. VTune 3 will let you know. - Rob

Paul in Alaska

That is a big increase...

KiwiRob

Quote from: Paul in Alaska on August 02, 2017, 04:12:03 PM
That is a big increase...

Yeah I know, but that's what my engine combo needed. Your tuning might not need that much, if at all.  VTune 3 will let you know what it needs. The 120 is a bear to VTune it seems. - Rob

Paul in Alaska

in my case vtune always brings the VE between 2 and 3000 rpm down to the point of creating that dreaded stumble (lean) between 40 and 100 KPA. i raised the ve and made it smooth but vtune has it purple for change. I guess it is just a matter of raising the ve in that area till the stumble goes away. I see raising the ve in that area also reduces spark retard as well. Tried a 113 map set the cubes to 136 and it ran so rich....reduced to 126 and was still rich. the calibration i have spent all the time on and have the bike running decent is an EAA calibration. IVO set at 3.
I think i am starting to get a handle on this. V tune does well but is not the end all....
I have the green interface....
Datamaster 2 and Vtune 3.

wolf_59

Paul even vtuning with the wide bands with the map set for open loop it still digging a hole and running lean?

KE5RBD

Quote from: Paul in Alaska on August 01, 2017, 03:24:16 PM
After several more good vtune sessions, the ditch is starting to form again as well as the stumble returning, 2000 to 3000 rpm, 40 to 100 map. This is my problem area. Bikes run quite nice otherwise...above 3000 rpm that is....
I am using an 09 headpipe. I added small bungs for the narrow bands. wonder if the narrowbands are cross talking? i am quite sure i put them in a position to prevent this... i used this pipe when it was a stock CVO 110 motor and it seemed to work fine...no stumble...
Curious as how you are running wide bands and narrow band O2's at same time.  Never saw that done.
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.