Preparing to refresh my first top-end, pics and questions

Started by SixShooter14, January 16, 2020, 05:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixShooter14

Quote from: rageglide on March 10, 2020, 01:10:18 PM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on March 10, 2020, 11:14:32 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 05, 2020, 05:19:22 PM
Yep, gets hot in those Evo cones. It could run forever, but I would replace it.

While yer in there......      :SM:

https://www.zippersperformance.com/dyna-2000i-ignition/
Is there any advantage for the dial types like the Hi-4N or Twin Tec rather than the switches on the 2000i? Just curious

In my experience no advantage/disadvantage switch or pot style.  As rigidthumper said, some ignitions also allow you to program with a cable connected to your laptop.

You might consider replacing the pickup with an OEM 'dumb' style, then use an ignition that's mounted under the seat.  Given you had the one melt, putting all the electrics in the cone could result in a melted down ignition but it's more likely to start misfiring when you're stuck in stopped traffic on a hot day...

I have used both in cone and external ignitions and I haven't had a cone mounted one die, but I know of several failures.  The in cone ignition can be a pain in the ass to install depending on the design and wire routing and size.   In cone does clean up the wiring a bit and that is a nice benefit.   Stock pickup and a module under the seat is probably best long term.
Hmm...Thanks for the info. I'm not heavily modifying or looking for every single hp at every rpm so I don't think it'll ever be hooked to the PC.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

SixShooter14

Mmmk, so I got a chance to get the cam chest open...

I also took a look at my current ignition parts

kd

Six, are those damaged teeth on the breather gear?  If you slide it out, are there any signs of damage in the bore?
KD

SixShooter14

Quote from: kd on March 10, 2020, 06:51:44 PM
Six, are those damaged teeth on the breather gear?  If you slide it out, are there any signs of damage in the bore?
I don't think so, the teeth looked good to me. But I didn't have a chance to pull it, that'll have to wait until.....tomorrow? or maybe next week.

I'm planning to do the steel breather anyway.

SixShooter14

It appears that my current ignition is a SE non-adjustable unit and has 6000rpm written on it. I'm going to go ahead and replace the external unit and sensor with the Dynatek 2ki. Is there any reason not to do this?

I also have a SE coil mounted under the tank. I'd think it should be ok to reuse?

Burnout

Yes there are reasons you should just replace the stock sensor with stock type parts.

Are you prepared to completely rewire the ignition system?

DO you have a need for spark beyond what the SE module provides? (Super high compression, and or do Dyno Shootout Competitions regularly)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

SixShooter14

I'm all for 'less parts and less work'

EV27
9.5-9.8ish comp.

I don't drag race or do dyno shootouts or anything like that, but I do enjoy a 'spirited' ride up through the gears.

Additional Q:
Is it safe to assume I should reattach the VOES unit? I thought it was missing, but turns out it was just unplugged and had the vacuum line removed. I don't know why the PO unhooked it.

Burnout

The only reason to disconnect the VOES is if you don't know what it does / understand how it works.

Many think it is a smog device......       :doh:

SixShooter14

March 17, 2020, 08:12:10 AM #158 Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:28:02 AM by SixShooter14
Quote from: Burnout on March 17, 2020, 08:07:33 AM
The only reason to disconnect the VOES is if you don't know what it does / understand how it works.

Many think it is a smog device......       :doh:
Thanks. Shouldn't you plug the vac ports? or no need if the switch is unplugged? I'm 75% sure the port on the carb is open, but I'd expect running problems if so. IDK, I'll have to get it all back together. But I do plan to reinstall the VOES.

Maybe that explains my 30mpg.

Burnout

Yes a VOES will improve fuel mileage.

It also allows a lower base timing which makes for easier starting.

SixShooter14

Thanks.

I'll continue with the plan to reinstall it. I'm sure I'll have more questions when that time comes. I'm hoping to begin the lower-end part assembly today if UPS delivers the cam and breather gear.

Ohio HD

Hey Six, if you have some micrometers, and can get access to a couple of 0.108" round pins, or something very close, it's not a bad idea to measure the stock cam gear and compare to the new cam gear. Last page of the Andrews sheet shows you what I mean.

Also above the image, they list the OEM color codes to gear size. Your OEM should have a paint mark somewhere on the gear.

90% of the time it's fine, but in some cases they can be different. You can end up with a loose or a tight gear mesh.

https://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites/www.andrewsproducts.com/files/assets/CamEV80.pdf

SixShooter14

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 17, 2020, 10:56:04 AM
Hey Six, if you have some micrometers, and can get access to a couple of 0.108" round pins, or something very close, it's not a bad idea to measure the stock cam gear and compare to the new cam gear. Last page of the Andrews sheet shows you what I mean.

Also above the image, they list the OEM color codes to gear size. Your OEM should have a paint mark somewhere on the gear.

90% of the time it's fine, but in some cases they can be different. You can end up with a loose or a tight gear mesh.

https://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites/www.andrewsproducts.com/files/assets/CamEV80.pdf
Thanks, I don't really have any way to measure it.

What's the consensus on reusing the old gear? I'm pretty sure I can have it pressed off/on. Just wondering.

Edit... I might be able to figure out a way to measure. I'll certainly try that.

hbkeith

Quote from: SixShooter14 on March 17, 2020, 02:22:14 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 17, 2020, 10:56:04 AM

Thanks, I don't really have any way to measure it.

What's the consensus on reusing the old gear? I'm pretty sure I can have it pressed off/on. Just wondering.

Edit... I might be able to figure out a way to measure. I'll certainly try that.
ive always just used old gear

hbkeith

Quote from: SixShooter14 on March 16, 2020, 09:47:44 AM
It appears that my current ignition is a SE non-adjustable unit and has 6000rpm written on it. I'm going to go ahead and replace the external unit and sensor with the Dynatek 2ki. Is there any reason not to do this?

I also have a SE coil mounted under the tank. I'd think it should be ok to reuse?
its already there and works , spend that money on Port work instead   :wink:

SixShooter14

pulled my old cam out tonight....AND what a pita the little chrome covers were on the tappet blocks. And left a hell of a mess on the blocks themselves, they left a nasty silicone type goo that was between the cover and the actual block......ANYWAY

I found a nice surprise:

SixShooter14

SixShooter14

Oh, and some of the mess on the blocks. And the breather gear, it looks really good, but I'll go with steel anyway.

FSG

SixShooter14

Quote from: FSG on March 17, 2020, 08:24:42 PM
What is the Bluetooth on there ?
I assume you are looking at the module there by the ignition?

It's not hooked to anything, but it's attached with 2sided tape. I guess the PO just didn't want to peel it off  :idunno:

cheech

Quote from: SixShooter14 on March 17, 2020, 07:34:35 PM
pulled my old cam out tonight....AND what a pita the little chrome covers were on the tappet blocks. And left a hell of a mess on the blocks themselves, they left a nasty silicone type goo that was between the cover and the actual block......ANYWAY

I found a nice surprise:
Those covers are stupid. I throw them away.

SixShooter14

Quote from: cheech on March 17, 2020, 09:23:24 PM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on March 17, 2020, 07:34:35 PM

I found a nice surprise:
Those covers are stupid. I throw them away.
I can assure you....These will NOT be going back on.

FSG

QuoteThose covers are stupid. I throw them away.

you can say that again  :SM:

SixShooter14

March 18, 2020, 06:23:10 AM #173 Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:16:25 AM by SixShooter14
So now the million dollar question...should I put the EVL-3010 back in or stick with the plan for the EV27?

I have no complaints about the 3010 from before the tear-down. But it felt like it began to run out of steam in the higher RPM, so I'm thinking the 27 may do better. But the bike also wasn't tuned properly, getting about 30mpg with the VOES unhooked. I did find the vac port on the carb and it had a rubber cap over it, but it was split down the side and likely leaking.

I have very little knowledge regarding cam designs and such. So maybe my thinking is all wrong.

Also, the "EVL-3010" looks hand written on the gear and there's a "D" on the end lobe of this cam. Anyone have any insight into why? Is this the stock gear that was swapped over?

Thanks for any info.

Burnout

It's hard to compare the two because the EV27 is a split duration cam.

I don't think one cam will rev significantly higher that the other.
I think the big difference between the two would be which determined by the exhaust system.
It seems the 27 would favor mufflers?
The 3010 might be the winner with a long primary exhaust and minimally restrictive muffler?