April 26, 2024, 09:01:40 AM

News:

Oil filter removal

Started by Jim Bronson, April 04, 2020, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I made the mistake of letting the dealer change the oil last time. I started changing it today and found the filter torqued down and not removable using the normal wrench. It just slips and leaves paint residue from the filter on the wrench flats.  :angry: How can I get it broken loose? Is there a secret? Maybe large Channelocks? I guess I could drill a hole and drain the oil before I do surgery.

On a related topic, I had never checked oil level on the dipstick after draining with the pan empty. For some reason I checked it today, and it shows pretty normal on the dipstick. It kinda surprised me, but I assume that's normal.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

No Cents

I drive a screw driver thru the filter to get it to turn when they are stuck on like that.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

ecir50

try adding a rag between your wrench and filter

Ohio HD

Won't help you today, but this is what I use. They don't slip.

A good tool to have in the tool box.

https://www.rivcoproducts.com/shop/harley-davidson/hd-021/

smoserx1

Large channel lock pliers have worked for me.  The oil on your dipstick is probably residue from the oil before draining.  I have had bad luck with dealers over-tightening filters, especially on cars.

HogMike

I use one of these.
Works every time
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

kd

KD

Hossamania

April 04, 2020, 06:01:08 PM #7 Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:00:04 PM by Hossamania
The oil on the dipstick may be from hitting the clutch cable when putting the dipstick in. I might want to pay more attention. First day of daydrinking during this ordeal.

Quote from: HOGMIKE on April 04, 2020, 05:53:46 PM
I use one of these.
Works every time
:missed:

I use same. Never had a filter yet that I couldn't remove.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

The dipstick situation is resolved. It seems that when you drain the primary there's still oil on the engine oil dipstick.  :embarrassed: I can't believe I did that. Maybe time for the old folks home. Oh well, the primary needed changing anyway.

Thanks for the tips on the filter. I don't think have a strap type wrench, but I'll check. I have plenty of time, since we're in for a week of rainy weather.

Heinz

Are you trying to remove the filter on a cold engine? I've had a lot of trouble getting the filter off unless the engine has been run and it's hot.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Heinz on April 04, 2020, 06:17:25 PM
Are you trying to remove the filter on a cold engine? I've had a lot of trouble getting the filter off unless the engine has been run and it's hot.
It was warm from a ride. I always change fluids after a ride. I was actually wondering whether it would be easier on a cold engine. I guess I'll find out.

Heinz

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 04, 2020, 06:20:41 PM
Quote from: Heinz on April 04, 2020, 06:17:25 PM
It was warm from a ride. I always change fluids after a ride. I was actually wondering whether it would be easier on a cold engine. I guess I'll find out.

I use K&N oil filters with the 17mm nut welded on at the end of the filter. On a cold engine I tried to remove the filter and it's stripped the nut. I took the motorcycle for a ride warmed it up and I was able to get it off pretty easily.

JW113

As No Cents said, bang a long screwdriver through it, and push. It will break loose.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

SixShooter14

Large channelocks do work, provided you can get them in there and squeeze them. The last time I needed them for a filter there was no room to grip the side of the filter, otherwise a pipe wrench would've worked. I had to grab the filter by the end and twist the channelocks. Of course they aren't designed for that and you don't get much leverage. But it worked, I took a 3/4" boxed wrench and hooked it on the handle to give me some side leverage and squeezed the filter enough so that the jaws made notches in the filter to grip.

It was a pita, but a stuck filter is always gonna be.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

FXDBI

Got a K&P reusable filter in 2007. Never had filter problem since then.  Bob

kd

X2. Plus a Moore's Sensible Filter Relocation kit.  No fuss or mess.
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

Use a cap type filter wrench & drill 3-4 holes equally spaced through the cap wrench & into the filter. Use sheet metal screws to join the wrench to the filter  :up:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

JohnnyCashPan

Old, slow and fat...

dynabagger

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 04, 2020, 04:57:46 PM
I made the mistake of letting the dealer change the oil last time.

I made the same mistake with an indy. It twisted the oil cooler adapter out of position trying to get it off. Never again. I used a plier style of oil filter wrench and stuck a large screw driver between the handles for leverage. A real PITA.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Dan89flstc

April 05, 2020, 06:10:33 AM #19 Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:54:36 AM by Dan89flstc
 Deleted post
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Helmwurst

I've never understood while some HD Tech and especially oil change center tech's think the filter needs to be cranked down like that. I usually on anything with a spin on filter, spin it till it touches the base and then add 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Almost always comes off next time with just a little bump of the wrench and never leaks.... Just sayin

Ohio HD

Jim has a 2015 TC touring bike. Most of those posted, including myself know that.

Dan89flstc

April 05, 2020, 06:38:04 AM #22 Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:57:22 AM by Dan89flstc
Edited to be civil...

My experience with a Rushmore touring bike, the oil cooler crowds that area pretty tight, channel locks, screw driver, band wrench, none will fit in there...

The screws through the cap filter is the way, or possibly aluminum foil between the wrench and filter in some cases.

The reason for stuck oil filters is failure to lube the gasket. You can tighten the hell out of an oil filter as long as the gasket is lubed, and it will come right off.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Ohio HD

Quote from: Dan89flstc on April 05, 2020, 06:10:33 AM
Lots of suggestions as to what wrench to use, but without knowing WTF is being worked on, there is no way of knowing what fits...

Quote from: Dan89flstc on April 05, 2020, 06:38:04 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 05, 2020, 06:18:14 AM
Jim has a 2015 TC touring bike. Most of those posted, including myself know that.

Well, I didn`t know what he is working on, since I forgot my ESP hat...

Well I`m telling you my experience with a Rushmore touring bike, the oil cooler crowds that area pretty tight, good luck using that band wrench or channel locks, it aint gonna happen.

Chill out. Instead of making a negative post about it, maybe just ask him what he's working on if you really want to help him.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 05, 2020, 06:42:36 AM
Chill out. Instead of making a negative post about it, maybe just ask him what he's working on if you really want to help him.

Sorry so cranky...I revised my post.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic