April 26, 2024, 08:10:32 PM

News:

Valve Stems

Started by freddie_ray, November 18, 2020, 08:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddie_ray

2012 FLHTK with factory wheels. I'm looking to replace the valve stems with an offset, especially the front. Its a bitch trying to air up the tire. I use the HD mini air pump and have to push the rubber stem to the side to screw on the hose. Forget about any other type. The rear is doable. Need suggestions. Couldn't find anything in the P&A Catalog...

SP33DY

Try Drag Specialties MC-945

kd

You'll want to be real careful with the clearance to the brake caliper(s).  The centrifugal force will force them out and there will be instant loss of air and a flat on the front when they hit.  It may be OK for most speeds but pass that one truck at 85 mph and your in big trouble.  :dgust: I watched it happen and it was a real eye opener.  I figured my buddy was a goner but he shook it down without going down.
KD

calif phil

I refuse to install them. 

xlfan

Angled valve stem extension?

kd

Quote from: xlfan on November 18, 2020, 10:42:59 AM

If there is such a thing   :nix:  and  if removed after using to check or adjust tire pressure.
KD

Hossamania

For me, it's just one of life's little inconveniences that I live with.
I'm not a fan of bending the valve stem out to connect to it, I use two hands, one on either side, to screw onto the stem. I've had valve stems break from bending, I try to disturb them as little as possible.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

I would not use a right angle stem either. Get a good air chuck, like the one Motion Pro sells and you can get to any of them.

markymark

How about valve stems out of a 2020 model. My Ultra has right angle valve stems. WAY easy to do air pressure checks.

xlfan

Quote from: kd on November 18, 2020, 10:51:01 AM
Quote from: xlfan on November 18, 2020, 10:42:59 AM

If there is such a thing   :nix:  and  if removed after using to check or adjust tire pressure.

This one has been in my toolbox for years

hattitude

I used the billet type, 83° angled valve stems on my 2012 Limited for about 25K miles before I sold it..

They worked well, and made it super easy to put air in the tires..

I was unaware that style had any problems in the field...  :nix:

I just Googled, and couldn't find the brand that I used (that's not a good sign   :crook:)

The ones I used looked a lot like this one...

smoserx1

Hard to see how that would cause a problem but the Drag Specialties part mentioned earlier looks to be a metal stem as well.  FWIW, the stems on my 99 FLHT come out at a slight angle but it is the location of the holes in the rim (the actual stem is straight).  Did H-D abandon this design?

Hossamania

The rear wheel is still mounted at an angle (straight stem) but the front wheel is mounted straight up between the spokes.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HogMike

November 19, 2020, 06:38:50 AM #13 Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 06:49:10 AM by HogMike
Quote from: freddie_ray on November 18, 2020, 08:38:23 AM
2012 FLHTK with factory wheels. I'm looking to replace the valve stems with an offset, especially the front. Its a bitch trying to air up the tire. I use the HD mini air pump and have to push the rubber stem to the side to screw on the hose. Forget about any other type. The rear is doable. Need suggestions. Couldn't find anything in the P&A Catalog...

You can use the stock Harley 90* metal stems like these, good for at least 120 mph, my friend says.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

We used these on a 2010 limited
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

kd

Quote from: HogMike on November 19, 2020, 06:50:05 AM
We used these on a 2010 limited
:nix:

IMO those would probably be OK.  They appear to be compact and light weight.  My point previously was to "be careful" with the choice.  Rubber "slip in" style for example WILL flex at speed with centrifugal force and may contact the brake parts or eventually crack and separate from continual flexing.
KD

Deye76

"IMO those would probably be OK."

How about this one?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

Quote from: Deye76 on November 19, 2020, 07:15:17 AM
"IMO those would probably be OK."

How about this one?

Because it is a steel solid mount the problem of flex should be gone.  again, IMO the clearance to the brake caliper is critical when flex is possible from centrifugal force at speed.
KD

Deye76

Thanks for the reply KD, I got talked into the 90° stem, thinking they were fine. In all honesty the OE with the right air chuck etc., was really not a problem. I hadn't considered any contact problems like the caliper.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

Well all I can say is it wasn't pretty watching your buddy just pull in front of a transport and unexpectedly lose the front tire.   :dgust:   He's been riding Harleys since the late 60's / early 70's and it paid off in spades that day.   
KD

freddie_ray

Thanks for all the replies, got some thinking and research to do, maybe look into a short steel one...

FLHRI_2004

Quote from: Coyote on November 18, 2020, 11:47:18 AM
I would not use a right angle stem either. Get a good air chuck, like the one Motion Pro sells and you can get to any of them.

I have the Motion Por chuck and it works well.  Makes a tedious job a breeze.
My Ride: Road King

Leed

Quote from: Coyote on November 18, 2020, 11:47:18 AM

Thanks Coyote!  I just ordered one...

cheech

Quote from: HogMike on November 19, 2020, 06:38:50 AM

You can use the stock Harley 90* metal stems like these, good for at least 120 mph, my friend says.
His bike happen to have the RDRS?
From what I've seen the RDRS bikes have those angled stems.
In the pic you can even see TPMS on it.

HogMike

Quote from: cheech on November 22, 2020, 07:28:37 PM
Quote from: HogMike on November 19, 2020, 06:38:50 AM

His bike happen to have the RDRS?
From what I've seen the RDRS bikes have those angled stems.
In the pic you can even see TPMS on it.

Nope.
2019 cvo limited but the outer part looks just like the ones in the previous reply. Without the tpms
HOGMIKE
SoCal