May 09, 2024, 07:56:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

setting the CLB in TTS question

Started by mayor, October 20, 2010, 07:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 23, 2010, 12:57:10 PM
I dont know, but The Mayor could tell us.
I'll let you know after the next run.   :teeth: if I have enough battery left in my lap top, it could be yet today.   :nix:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

hrdtail78

How's that straight pipe and plug sound?
Semper Fi

mayor

I couldn't get the right size freeze plug, so I had to settle for mufflers.   :hyst:

Well I made another run....this time I ran the R's up to 6K at speed and closed the throttle while going downhill (in 4th and 5th gear...on a closed course of course  :wink: )
here's run 5 Histogram:

here's run 6 Histogram:

looks like that did help the Datamaster take more readings in the lighter tps settings for the upper R's. 

I think the key is go really really fast down a really steep mountain.   :wink:

glens

So what sort of VE changes did this make in the 2% column?  Is it really running just plain old closed-loop under those conditions?

Steve Cole

Looks like Mayor is having fun with this already.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

mayor

Quote from: glens on October 23, 2010, 02:46:48 PM
So what sort of VE changes did this make in the 2% column? 
here's the VE's from map 5 and data run 5:

and here's the VE's from map 6 and data run 6:

Quote from: Steve Cole on October 23, 2010, 03:23:36 PM
Looks like Mayor is having fun with this already.
yea, but I think I would enjoy it more if it weren't my bike.   :teeth:  running 6 grand on a stock bike just doesn't sound good.   :crook:

:teeth:

FLTRI

Mayor,
Just look at it this way. The MOCO has tested these engines up to 5.6k rpm for hours on end, so I doubt if you have anything to worry about. :up:
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

rbabos

I do need to ask this. Why is the idle kpa so low?
Ron

TXChop

Roughly how long is each vtune run? Miles? Just curious..Looks Great!

trannyman

Those are some real nice looking v-tunes! I know what you mean running it up to 6 grand.

mayor

Quote from: rbabos on October 23, 2010, 05:58:34 PM
I do need to ask this. Why is the idle kpa so low?
Ron
:nix: this is my first venture into kpa.... :teeth: what should it be?

Quote from: TXCHOP on October 23, 2010, 06:09:04 PM
Roughly how long is each vtune run? Miles? Just curious..Looks Great!
thanks.  I'm doing roughly a half hour ride, and I'm averaging about 30 miles a trip.  There's a real nice mountain road nearby that doesn't have many houses, so I make a trip up and down each side as part of my tuning sessions. 

here's where I've been riding (my wife took these last week):

Don D

Mayor
What you using for a laptop? Like it? battery life OK?

ViennaHog

I noticed a map reading at idle that is way different form mine. Mayor's idle around 26 kpa, mine around 40 with everything tight and buttoned up. Replaced the map sensor on my 2008 Ultra with no impact on the readings. Details on the engine in the signature.

mayor

Quote from: Deweysheads on October 23, 2010, 11:02:46 PM
Mayor
I have a Dell D430.  The battery life is real good.  Generally the battery status report shows about 2 hours when I un plug the cord, and that's been pretty accurate under normal usage.  It has a small screen, so it took some getting used too but it makes a great traveling lap top. 

this bike is a bone stock '09 96" bagger w/ SE AC and SE Fatshots.  I've never dealt with kpa before, so can someone verify that my idle MAP is with-in the margin of error?

ultraswede

My bike is idling at 30-31 Kpa, with hot engine, but cold trans oil. (75w 140)

rbabos

Quote from: mayor on October 24, 2010, 03:54:54 AM
Quote from: Deweysheads on October 23, 2010, 11:02:46 PM
Mayor
I have a Dell D430.  The battery life is real good.  Generally the battery status report shows about 2 hours when I un plug the cord, and that's been pretty accurate under normal usage.  It has a small screen, so it took some getting used too but it makes a great traveling lap top. 

this bike is a bone stock '09 96" bagger w/ SE AC and SE Fatshots.  I've never dealt with kpa before, so can someone verify that my idle MAP is with-in the margin of error?
At least you are tuning a more standard engine that will follow the rules of vtune better than more radical builds as in my case. As for the kpa, I'm beginning to think it's more calibration based on the readings, not just actual engine . The one calibration I've run all season runs what most consider low at 29kpa at idle. The latest calibration I played with runs 38 at idle. 38 seems more in line with most I've heard about. The reasons why this is with the same engine has yet to be answered. I feel this is a worthwhile question but so far nobody can or want answer the technical reason for this.
I will say this, any kpa readings that are below 26 ve numbers will not be accurate. This may not show much in a stock engine but plays hell with some builds, as in my original calibration. This is why I feel the latest calibration I've tested will end up being much better since all areas are much higher than minimum kpa to vtune better.
Your vtune numbers look good to me, for what I know of it, but question whether the idle did actually vtune accurately.
Ron

ViennaHog

The calibration seems to play a role in the idle kpa level. With the TTS latest software version it idles at 38-42 kpa. Then I reflash the ECM with  a similar SEST cal and miraculously the value drops to 32 kpa on the very same bike 10 min later. I certainly dunno enough to understand that.
Most bikes I have seen so far idle from about 28-35 kpa with the matching TTS cal. So what gives?

mayor

I'm getting ready to go on V-tune run #9.   :teeth:  I didn't get enough good data in the upper rpm's on run #8.  It looks like I was reaching those areas with too much MAP. ....I guess I need to accelerate down hill more, to go with my quick deceleration down hill.  :nix: If the next run looks good, then I'm reseting the acc, decel, afr, and knock tables and call it good enough. 

glens

What else could it possibly be besides the point(s) in time during the cycle at which the MAP sensor is getting polled?  Or at least which reading is being used...

I still question whether the "readings" are "appropriate" in some cases when enrichment/enleanment are disabled.

Here are the first three vtune histograms on my "stage one" '09 96" showing the idle manifold pressure:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

wurk_truk

go buy a corded cigarette lighter/power cord extension.  Cut the male end off and hook it to the battery tender cord.  THEN you can run a 12vdc power supply and NEVER worry about battery life on the laptop again.

This allows one to do v-tunes back-to-back while on the road with no need to return home.
Oh No!

strokerjlk

QuoteI'm doing roughly a half hour ride, and I'm averaging about 30 miles a trip.  There's a real nice mountain road nearby that doesn't have many houses, so I make a trip up and down each side as part of my tuning sessions. 

your making me somewhat homesick for Bedford. grew up there for a while. thanks for the pics!...what road is it?
now stop by Jean Bonnet and have a yuengling draft for me.  :up:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

mayor

Jim, that's Brumbaugh Mt (PA869) which goes from Osterburg to New Enterprise. It's a great road to play on.  Funny you should mention Jean Bonnet....I just used their parking lot to stop my last data run.  :teeth:  I decided to try a different route today, figured that sooner or latter someone would notice a black bagger making too many high speed runs on the same road.   :smiled:  I'll see if I can't drink a yeungling for you at lunch time.  They just bought a brewery in Memphis, so you may be able to get them in your area soon. 

here's my latest histogram:

looks like I managed to get a fair amount of readings in the 5.5k range this time.  I would have liked to seen some in the 60% areas of 5-6k, but if the VE's look good in the V-tune I might call it good enough.   I think having a screen to view would help fill more cells, since I'm probably spending a lot more time than I need to on some cells.  I was going to strap my lap top to my tank, but decided against that since some of the roads I'm riding wouldn't allow for too much distraction. 

mayor

Here's my latest V-tune ve tables:

how's that look?   :nix: I think I'm going to blend the outside edges and call it good enough?   :scratch:

Don D

Mayor
The MAP pressure, not to be confused with gauge pressure we saw when testing old cars seems to be balpark. I agree with Ron the calibrations are what I see as an influence and they should be. This injection timing thing is being swept under the rug IMHO and at higher speeds may not be so critical but at low speeds squirting fuel on a closed valve or delaying injection at the beginning or a late closing injector at the end of the cycle sure would screw with the MAP. The throttle plate is fixed, the IAC lets the air in and the idle timing will be a strong influence as well.
Yours I am sure is fine, sorry for the soap box. I wish the TTS had a better method to tune the injection timing, but that said on a stock motor should not be as critical as what we see on the modified motors.

FLTRI

Quote from: glens on October 24, 2010, 07:13:56 AM
What else could it possibly be besides the point(s) in time during the cycle at which the MAP sensor is getting polled?  Or at least which reading is being used...
I think you win the cigar here. Since polling events are definable, it can and does change readings.
No right or wrong here, just different.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open