May 08, 2024, 09:39:27 PM

News:

HD now has Hydra chain conversion kit!

Started by tomp, January 26, 2009, 08:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomp

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448773018&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302491575&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302491575&bmUID=1232988551984&bmLocale=en_US

Don D

January 26, 2009, 09:19:03 AM #1 Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:33:06 AM by Deweysheads
Fine and dandy, now they need to support with cams that work in those years if they are going to be a turn key solution. Some folks use and have decent results with the SE cams.
Maybe they are offering these ? :pop:

crow

So if I am reading the information on Harley's site this kit just changes the tensioners to the new style for 99-01 models and not the new roller chain? That you get a plate, oil pump, and tensioners?
I think the need a complete upgrade for the older bikes that contains everything needed...

Knees in the Breeze is all I need........:)

harleywood

It's not entirely clear what chain(s) you would end up with, nor what series of cams-early or late-that you would use after the change. Is the spacer kit needed for the early cams? It is not a very well written description.
05 FLHT
95", SE251, AMS, SE 10.5, .030 Cometic.

Don D

I think thats right :crook:
The older link belt chain cams used with the new roller chain setup for 02-06 and the earlier (cam position sensor) motors use the original chain on the front and the roller rear????
It is very unclear.

Don D

We need some help from the instruction sheet GURU
Fatboy Sir Garfield

Sonny S.

99-01 uses a cam position sensor. Andrews offers a rear cam gear for the roller conversion and very likely has the pattent on it.
You can buy the gear from Andrews or if you use a DTT ingnition with carbed bikes it bypasses the cam sensor.

smoserx1

Quote99-01 uses a cam position sensor.

Exactly, and that requires a trigger ring be made into the rear cam sprocket (the raised semi circle you see in so many of the older ones).  It is clearly missing in the illustration.  So, looks like you have to use your old sprocket and hence your old front chain.

Don D

Sonny S.

Quote from: smoserx1 on January 26, 2009, 10:04:43 AM
Quote99-01 uses a cam position sensor.

Exactly, and that requires a trigger ring be made into the rear cam sprocket (the raised semi circle you see in so many of the older ones).  It is clearly missing in the illustration.  So, looks like you have to use your old sprocket and hence your old front chain.

.....or use the Andrews gear

harleywood

It appears from reading the instructions, you retain the old style inside chain, but are updating the tensioner.
05 FLHT

harleywood

The spacer is needed to switch to the roller primary chain
05 FLHT

smoserx1

If you look at the illustration real good it looks like the shoe is significantly wider than the front chain.  I am guessing the sell one kt, and you can replace the front sprockets and chain on 02-06.  I bet all of them retain the old inner chain.  Otherwise new cams would be required and there is no mention of these.

Don D

Sounds reasonable both cost wise and function. Not sure how the link belt chain will marry with the urethane (my assumption) tensioners.

harleywood

On the 99-01, you retain the old style gear/chain for the cam sensor. Therefore you do not need the additional spacer. On the 02-06, you use the additional spacer to compensate for the difference in the primary chain/gear width. The inside chain all stays as original with the exception of the updated hydraulic tensioner, cam plate and oil pump.   :up:
05 FLHT

harleywood

One of these will likely find it's way on my bike....Now where is that tax refund.... :smilep:
05 FLHT

Sonny S.

Before Ralph left Andrews he said he tried a hyd. tensioner with the old style chain set up, and it worked fine. Said that used or polished chains worked best. No longevity testing was completed at that point. Maybe HD did thier homework.
So this plate still uses the bearing style cams ?

I've installed 3 conversions on 99-01 cam sensor models and just bought the Andrews gear...NBD.

Admiral Akbar

Uhm,, This looks pretty simple to me..

Uses an morse driven cams with splines. Stock bearings. Morse chain inside. Roller outside (shown)  unless you need the cam postion sensor then use the stock morse on the outside.  Heck I've got some chain Crane 314s I might try some day with this.. Max

Sonny S.

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on January 26, 2009, 10:42:35 AM

Uses an morse driven cams with splines. Stock bearings. Morse chain inside. Roller outside (shown)  unless you need the cam postion sensor then use the stock morse on the outside.  Heck I've got some chain Crane 314s I might try some day with this.. Max

Show off !!   :wink:

Billy

I expect those would be fine for a set of silent chain cams where roller chain cams aren't available for that particular grind, otherwise I would prefer the roller chains and cams with plain metal bearings.

MoCo's MSRP $429.95, I'd bet the roller conversion from Herko would be comparable $$.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Don D

Never got too interested in HD chain drive enough to check cam timing but with cars the morse chains stretch over time and change the cam timing. I too like the roller chain better but this upgrade does have a place.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Sonny S. on January 26, 2009, 10:59:13 AM
Quote from: MaxHeadflow on January 26, 2009, 10:42:35 AM

Show off !!   :wink:

Well I cheated, had a chance to talk to the guy that was designing the tensioners, he was a friend of Dave Brode.. This started out using morse chains but as Don says they can stretch some based on the way they are made. They can be made so they stretch less but the cost goes up.. Things go real quiet when HD started getting interested so I would have expected minor tweeks to the design.

Max

road-dawgs1

See attached

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Faast Ed

It says spacers required for installation, but says nothing about needing special cams to make it fit. 

Interesting.
≡Faast Ed>

Don D

No cam change is required. I am wondering if outer bearings are used. It appears they abandon those, or do they?