2014-2015 audio flash question...

Started by Bertk, February 09, 2015, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bertk

February 09, 2015, 07:46:24 AM Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:54:41 AM by Bertk
For those of you who have installed a aftermarket amp & speakers and have had a successful audio HU flash performed by a HD Dealer, meaning:
Amp -1 off
Amp -2 off
4 or more speakers available
Functioning Fade, Treble & Base

Could you please perform the following steps using the on board audio diagnostic tool:
1.    Put run switch in the RUN position.
2.    Hold the MUTE button on the radio while turning the ignition on.
3.    Wait until the confirmation message comes up.
4.    Confirm (Agree) and release the MUTE button.
5.    In the AUDIO section select EQ. That will list all applicable EQ and audio options.
6.    Scroll through to find the one that is currently loaded (orange background).
My bike (2015 UL) shows  00_OFF.BIN  (stock)

Please post what  .bin  file your bike shows along with the make and model of the bike?

This whole FLASH thing is about as clear as mud, not only to bike owners, but to HD and many HD  Techs.

Thank you in advance.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

shagyluke

I have a 15 RGS

Current flash is Amp 1&2 installed "Yes"
4speakers

I have a NVX amp and four 62.11I's installed in lowers and fairing.

My results from your inquirey are as follows:

00_off.bin
00_off_OE_flht_4.bin
00_on.bin

The three above show up when I perform the audio EQ options.

So please tell me what this is telling me???

Aaron
"I say Grace, and I say Ma'am, If you aint in to that I don't give a damn.

Bertk

Quote from: shagyluke on February 09, 2015, 08:37:58 AM
I have a 15 RGS

4speakers

00_off.bin
00_off_OE_flht_4.bin
00_on.bin

Aaron
Thanks Aaron. Which one is highlighted with an orange background?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

shagyluke

February 09, 2015, 01:39:57 PM #3 Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:57:54 PM by shagyluke
Quote from: Bertk on February 09, 2015, 10:05:34 AM
I have a 15 RGS

4speakers

00_off.bin
00_off_OE_flht_4.bin
00_on.bin

Aaron

I just double checked a couple oftimes to make sure. I have 02_OFF.bin

scooterroid

2015 RGS

I had a flash done but the HD tech did not do exactly what I asked.

Here's my current setting after the flash:

15_OFF.bin

Additional info:

I'm running a Soundstream 2 channel amp with a pair of Infinity 6.5's.
My "Potty mouth" is loud and clear but I am not getting the lower frequencies. Bass & Treble controls work, Fader (as expected) and AVC do not.

shagyluke

Quote from: scooterroid on February 09, 2015, 02:13:44 PM
2015 RGS

I had a flash done but the HD tech did not do exactly what I asked.

Here's my current setting after the flash:

15_OFF.bin

Additional info:

I'm running a Soundstream 2 channel amp with a pair of Infinity 6.5's.
My "Potty mouth" is loud and clear but I am not getting the lower frequencies. Bass & Treble controls work, Fader (as expected) and AVC do not.

What flash do you have installed? Your bass and treble controls work or do not work?

scooterroid

I don't know which flash was performed. Obviously, since I now have a Fader, he set it for more than 2 speakers.
Bass and Treble controls do work. He told me he set the "EQ" flat or something to that effect. I have no idea what that means in regard to the settings.

I've been following posts in 3 different forums for the past 2 months, trying to understand what I need to do in order to simply install an aftermarket amp in my 2015 RGS and make it perform correctly. Today I called Harley Davidson and spoke with a customer care rep. I think that person should more accurately be called a could-not-care-less-rep. He refused to forward me to someone who could answer my questions about which flash is appropriate for my amp installation. Instead he said I need to contact my local dealership and have the service tech contact Harley Davidson. So, I did just that. The HD service rep in Ft Myers, Six Bends Harley Davidson, pretty much let me know it wasn't their problem. He went on to say no one else had even asked about getting their head unit flashed after installing an after market amp.  According to him this flash issue is not an issue and no one else in our area is installing after market amps. It's not their problem. That's just F-ing great.

Scoots

Bertk

Quote from: shagyluke on February 09, 2015, 01:39:57 PM
I have a 15 RGS

4speakers

00_off.bin
00_off_OE_flht_4.bin
00_on.bin

Aaron

Ok good, so 02_OFF.bin is highlighted with orange.
02_OFF.bin  is  FlatEQ_4spkr_jw.EQF
This is what I am looking for.

Is your audio system performing as you expected it to? Good volume, fade, treble, and base control?

Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Bertk

Quote from: scooterroid on February 09, 2015, 04:19:34 PM
I don't know which flash was performed. Obviously, since I now have a Fader, he set it for more than 2 speakers.
Bass and Treble controls do work. He told me he set the "EQ" flat or something to that effect. I have no idea what that means in regard to the settings.

I've been following posts in 3 different forums for the past 2 months, trying to understand what I need to do in order to simply install an aftermarket amp in my 2015 RGS and make it perform correctly. Today I called Harley Davidson and spoke with a customer care rep. I think that person should more accurately be called a could-not-care-less-rep. He refused to forward me to someone who could answer my questions about which flash is appropriate for my amp installation. Instead he said I need to contact my local dealership and have the service tech contact Harley Davidson. So, I did just that. The HD service rep in Ft Myers, Six Bends Harley Davidson, pretty much let me know it wasn't their problem. He went on to say no one else had even asked about getting their head unit flashed after installing an after market amp.  According to him this flash issue is not an issue and no one else in our area is installing after market amps. It's not their problem. That's just F-ing great.

Scoots
From your previous post, 15_OFF.bin  is  HU 121712 rev1d +3dBdyn GBDK_platinum.EQF
No flat EQ in this flash.
For a list of  .bin  files available check out this thread at post #17 by frankegd

BTW, Ft. Myers HD is my closest dealer and they are the most worthless dealership on the planet. I wouldn't let them touch my lawn mower.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

shagyluke

Quote from: Bertk on February 09, 2015, 06:35:12 PM
Quote from: shagyluke on February 09, 2015, 01:39:57 PM
I have a 15 RGS

4speakers

00_off.bin
00_off_OE_flht_4.bin
00_on.bin

Aaron

Ok good, so 02_OFF.bin is highlighted with orange.
02_OFF.bin  is  FlatEQ_4spkr_jw.EQF
This is what I am looking for.

Is your audio system performing as you expected it to? Good volume, fade, treble, and base control?

My set up sounds good with good volume and my fader works... I do not have control of treble and base.. Me and AAWAV rode about 180 miles on Saturday with him being behind me most of the ride. he told me that he could hear my system and it sounded good. I think it sounds good as well I just think it doesn't sound as good as it could. I have a BK4180 on the way so I hoping that a little more power will quench my thirst..

scooterroid

Does "FlatEQ" disable bass and treble controls on the head unit?

Scoots

Bertk

I have a 15 RGS

My set up sounds good with good volume and my fader works... I do not have control of treble and base.. Me and AAWAV rode about 180 miles on Saturday with him being behind me most of the ride. he told me that he could hear my system and it sounded good. I think it sounds good as well I just think it doesn't sound as good as it could. I have a BK4180 on the way so I hoping that a little more power will quench my thirst..

Well I hoped  02_OFF.bin  had treble & base control. But it is good to know AAWAV gave it his seal of approval.  :smile:

It will be interesting to hear what the difference is with the BK4180 installed.

In my case the two rear kappas sound better than the fronts. I think it's do to front pods. And I thing that's why BT got rid of them. Once I get the flash and the EQ flat I'll set the gains using the DMM and go from there.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

shagyluke

Quote from: Bertk on February 10, 2015, 08:02:25 AM
I have a 15 RGS

Well I hoped  02_OFF.bin  had treble & base control. But it is good to know AAWAV gave it his seal of approval.  :smile:

It will be interesting to hear what the difference is with the BK4180 installed.

In my case the two rear kappas sound better than the fronts. I think it's do to front pods. And I thing that's why BT got rid of them. Once I get the flash and the EQ flat I'll set the gains using the DMM and go from there.

That's funny, My upper fairing speakers sound better than my lower fairing's do. I only have two channels going into the amp and four coming out so I am going to change that with the 4180 and do 4 in and 4 out and see if that makes a difference. I just got a rear channel connector from V-twin, so I am just waiting for the 4180 now.

scooterroid

Bertk

I'm reading some posts in other forums where people are having problems using the flash instructions provided by Rockfort Fosgate. Shouldn't the flash procedure actually  have 2 steps:

Step 1 - set amp 1 off, amp 2 off and choose 8 speakers, amp yes and then save and flash.
Step 2 - choose and load the apporpriate BIN files, ie. 02_OFF.bin, from the DT

What are your thought on this? Who is going to do your flash? Naples HD? I want to be there when/if they do it.

shagyluke

Quote from: scooterroid on February 10, 2015, 01:28:59 PM
Bertk

I'm reading some posts in other forums where people are having problems using the flash instructions provided by Rockfort Fosgate. Shouldn't the flash procedure actually  have 2 steps:

Step 1 - set amp 1 off, amp 2 off and choose 8 speakers, amp yes and then save and flash.
Step 2 - choose and load the apporpriate BIN files, ie. 02_OFF.bin, from the DT

What are your thought on this? Who is going to do your flash? Naples HD? I want to be there when/if they do it.

The flash doesn't work like that really.. Once plugged in there are tab's that the tech scrawls through and sets all the parameters for your VIN number and then flashes the HU. Turns the ignition off for 20 sec. and goes back in to make sure there are no error codes. I believe that the Digital tech auto sends the BIN file for whatever parameters you have plugged into the Digital Tech. I don't believe that you can pick the BIN file from the Digital Tech and send it to your head unit. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I went through all the tab's when doing my flash with the tech and never came across a Bin file selection.

scooterroid

Maybe I have it backwards then. According to this post you choose the BIN (EQ) file on the DT and upload that file to the head unit and it sets the parameters  for speakers and EQ.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/1003884-14-eq-flash-file-add-on-speakers.html

*snip
I almost gave up. Went back to the tech and showed him the different settings in the head unit, which he had never seen before. He pulled the bike back in and (after a $20 tip) was digging through all the settings he had on the HD laptop.

He ended up loading 02_OFF.bin (FlatEQ_4spkr_jw.EQF). This enabled 4 spaekers, fully functional fader and, after all A LOT more power to the speakers!
*snip

This post doesn't mention anything about setting amp 1 off, amp 2 off, 8 speakers, amp yes, saving and flashing the head unit. Thinking this thing out right now, that step seems unnecessary as loading the BIN (EQ) file does that automatically. Ah, it's becoming a little clearer now.

Bertk

Quote from: scooterroid on February 10, 2015, 01:28:59 PM
Bertk

From what I have read, amp-1 & amp-2 off and select 4 or more speakers.
"Amp yes" I think is only used when installing Boom! stuff. 

QuoteStep 2 - choose and load the apporpriate BIN files, ie. 02_OFF.bin, from the DT

That's what I was thinking, but now some say they have on treble & bass control. I don't like that.
I am going to wait for a definitive answer to flash fiasco before doing anything.

QuoteWhat are your thought on this? Who is going to do your flash? Naples HD? I want to be there when/if they do it.
Yes I go to Naples HD. Same owner, but the people there are helpful, courteous and don't over change.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Bertk

Quote from: shagyluke on February 10, 2015, 04:13:33 PM

The flash doesn't work like that really.. Once plugged in there are tab's that the tech scrawls through and sets all the parameters for your VIN number and then flashes the HU. Turns the ignition off for 20 sec. and goes back in to make sure there are no error codes. I believe that the Digital tech auto sends the BIN file for whatever parameters you have plugged into the Digital Tech. I don't believe that you can pick the BIN file from the Digital Tech and send it to your head unit. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I went through all the tab's when doing my flash with the tech and never came across a Bin file selection.
This is a gray area, either no one knows or no one is telling.
I think you are probably correct about the DT sending the .bin file via an internet connection thou.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

shagyluke

Quote from: Bertk on February 10, 2015, 07:04:22 PM
Quote from: shagyluke on February 10, 2015, 04:13:33 PM

This is a gray area, either no one knows or no one is telling.
I think you are probably correct about the DT sending the .bin file via an internet connection thou.

We would probably need to get UN to chin in on this, but you can not select it from your head unit, and it only changes when you set your parameters and then flash. I am no expert by any means but "I can skin a buck and run a trout line"

fallenhillbilly

Help please
So what is the bottom line. All this information and I'm still confused. I had mind flashed and still believe it is wrong sounds ok in garage but on the road it's terrible..going to take what I have learned here and look at the file name....what should the flash be.does anyone know. .l have two hawg wired amps and 4 hawg wired speakers.         Amp and 2 speakers rock on the 2012 street glide. So I know something is definitely wrong. .
          Thanks to all for this forum.

Bertk

Quote from: fallenhillbilly on February 19, 2015, 10:24:37 AM
Help please
So what is the bottom line. All this information and I'm still confused. I had mind flashed and still believe it is wrong sounds ok in garage but on the road it's terrible..going to take what I have learned here and look at the file name....what should the flash be.does anyone know. .l have two hawg wired amps and 4 hawg wired speakers.         Amp and 2 speakers rock on the 2012 street glide. So I know something is definitely wrong. .
          Thanks to all for this forum.
There is no correct answer. The MOCO keeps changing flash files and keep the techs in the dark. The best approach to date is to try and find a HD Tech that knows what he is doing and is willing to work with you to find the best flash for what you have.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

fallenhillbilly

Thanks. I'm going this weekend with my information and see what happens..I think now I have a better handle on what they need to do.The bin files clear some things up. Will let you know what happens.

fallenhillbilly

Update
So I go to the Harley shop to try these new flash ideas. Bottom line is nothing we tried got us to 02_.bin.we tried multiple  selections and nothing seems to work.All I 'am reading is 1 and 2 amps off and 4 speakers but that looks to gives me a stock bin files...I don't know if the software is a different versions in my system then other or if that even matters..The search continues..And one more thing. I know some have had trouble getting the dealership to help with this but the guys at my dealership has really step up to get this worked out for us here in the georgia area.So that tells me price might not be everything but the service after the fact is everything..

Modes

Had my 2015Road glide flashed yesterday amp1 and amp2 off, 4 speakers (lid speakers selected) . Went into EQ through on screen diagnostics and none a circled nor highlighted in Orange.  Touching the I button reveals "Current EQ version: BUILT IN FLAT EQ.  Load new EQ? (Yes) (No). I have working bass and treble controls, present but unusable fader.  Sounds better running than off.  But all seems l I or what I would want.  Ordered some
FOods to rid lows my speakers can't produce.

Adam

Bertk

Quote from: Modes on February 22, 2015, 03:32:50 PM
Had my 2015Road glide flashed yesterday amp1 and amp2 off, 4 speakers (lid speakers selected) . Went into EQ through on screen diagnostics and none a circled nor highlighted in Orange.  Touching the I button reveals "Current EQ version: BUILT IN FLAT EQ.  Load new EQ? (Yes) (No). I have working bass and treble controls, present but unusable fader.  Sounds better running than off.  But all seems l I or what I would want.  Ordered some
FOods to rid lows my speakers can't produce.

Adam
Press the up or down arrow to the right to scroll through all the bin files. One has to the highlighted.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX