May 05, 2024, 01:14:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TWIN POWER Lithium-Ion battery

Started by Tattoo, February 17, 2016, 12:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tattoo

I know it spins my high compression 124" over with ease after sitting in a cold garage in February in Maine. :up:
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Sunny Jim

we use them down under. Lithium is the talk of the town.  Awesome discovery.

John/1

I would like to try one in my Kenny Boyce has a Kraftech stainless steel oil tank and I have room for a 30 XTL and 3.75 quarts of oil.
John

strokerjlk

Gonna try one in my race bike .now I don't have to diet . :smilep:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

76shuvlinoff

Granted I didn't check many sources but Motorcycle Superstore says $300 for one to fit my 12 EG.  The battery in it is less than a year old so I guess I can wait a while.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

IronMike113

We could start our story on that Box in the back Ground hahahahahahahaha just messin with Yah Jim.......  :wink: (if that's the same one)
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

strokerjlk

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on February 27, 2016, 04:26:58 PM
We could start our story on that Box in the back Ground hahahahahahahaha just messin with Yah Jim.......  :wink: (if that's the same one)
:beer: same box

joe_lyons

Another choice that doesn't require a special battery charger.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Flintlock

In post 22 buffalo differentiates between lithium ion and lithium polymer. This ad combines the terms? What's up?

I also see the terms lithium ion and iron used back and forth. Totally confused. Using made in USA AGM.

Karl H.

February 28, 2016, 12:27:32 PM #34 Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:33:36 PM by Karl H.
All lithium batteries are lithium ion. Lithium polymer is a lithium ion battery which uses a polymer foil as separator between anode and cathode. Lithium iron phosphate is a lithium ion battery, which has an iron phosphate cathode.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

motorhogman

Is that the same kind of battery those exploding hover boards use ?
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

strokerjlk

Quote from: joe_lyons on February 28, 2016, 09:53:32 AM
Another choice that doesn't require a special battery charger.

The twin power directions say , you can use conventional lead-acid 12 V charger ( without pulse charging function )

Flintlock

Quote from: Karl H. on February 28, 2016, 12:27:32 PM
All lithium batteries are lithium ion. Lithium polymer is a lithium ion battery which uses a polymer foil as separator between anode and cathode. Lithium iron phosphate is a lithium ion battery, which has an iron phosphate cathode.

Karl
Thanks Karl. That clears it up quite a bit.

WML57

Back in a 2014 Cycle World issue, Kevin Cameron wrote and article on Lithium batterys. In the article he listed 5 different chemistry types used and their properties. Lithium cobalt oxide provided the most energy density, but also created the most electrode resistance compared to the other chemistries. Higher resistance equals more heat, and this battery type is the one that makes the news. Lithium iron phosphate is the most common automotive type and has lower energy density but "inherent thermal safety".

Karl H.

February 29, 2016, 12:11:45 AM #39 Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:15:48 AM by Karl H.
Lithium iron phasphate (LiFePo) is the chemistry of choice for starter batteries. It is used by Porsche and Mercedes for their performance cars. The battery Mercedes uses is supplied by A123 (Michigan, USA).

http://www.a123systems.com/Collateral/Images/English-US/Gen3%20SB%20A123%20web.jpg

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

strokerjlk

Quote from: strokerjlk on February 27, 2016, 03:04:26 PM
Gonna try one in my race bike .now I don't have to diet . :smilep:

use the supplied bolts with the battery.
I tried to use my stock bolts and they are a little to long to make a good connection. they bottom out and appear to be tight ,but they will not have a good connection.

Thumper Buttercup

So where are you guys getting your battery and chargers from??

Trying to decide between the Lithium and the Yusas normal
battery.

04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

HD/Wrench

Bringing this back up ..  I installed the Twin power batter in my 124 at the end of summer. Bike has not been on a tender Rode it last about a week ago  and we finally  got some cold temps for tx HA HA it got down to 30 last night . I walked out and turn on the key hit the button and the engine spun over like butter and fired right off. I can tell you that my Std HD battery would not have done that.

I can tell you that I am impressed , the battery is a bit costly . But in my opinion worth it .

Deye76

"which has an iron phosphate cathode."

From what I hear doesn't explode like the ion can.  :nix:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Pete_Vit

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on December 08, 2016, 05:37:07 AM
Bringing this back up ..  I installed the Twin power batter in my 124 at the end of summer. Bike has not been on a tender Rode it last about a week ago  and we finally  got some cold temps for tx HA HA it got down to 30 last night . I walked out and turn on the key hit the button and the engine spun over like butter and fired right off. I can tell you that my Std HD battery would not have done that.

I can tell you that I am impressed , the battery is a bit costly . But in my opinion worth it .
:up: thanks for the heads up
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

HD/Wrench

well its not often we get cold weather. Mine was a odd issue with the HD AMG battery if on a tender it would light off great but left off for a week or so and it would not. I Own a Vat 45 load tester the battery checked out fine. However some times a loose plate or what ever can throw you a curve ball. And not fail ever time on a true carbon pile load tester. So I bought a new batter nope same deal..
Dropped that Twin power in there and its crazy how well it starts up.. Stock starter stock cables bike is 2012. 124 11.6 comp ratio with the ES cams CCP is 160 if I recall might be a tad more .. CRS sucks some days 

Jonny Cash

Ive had the same results, I have ran mine since June, have had zero issues, and it spins my124 easily.
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

Tattoo

Mine still spins my 124" over with no issues. :up:

Buffalo

Could I ask specifically what you fellows are using for starters. I may be about to replace another All Balls 1.7 (3rd) in the last 2 years. This unit drops the voltage to 7 upon hitting the button, then climbs back to 11 on a brand new Yuasa battery. We replaced the battery, same problem.
I may have an issue with voltage bleed, after even 2 days, bike will not turn over. Applying a boost pack makes it instantly fire up.
The original 1.6 All Balls lasted 6 1/2 yrs, replaced under warranty with a 1.7. It failed after 1 yr, again replaced under warranty. The latest 1.7 might be defective with 6 months of use.
I was thinking about replacing it with an original 1.4 heavy duty HD starter. Buffalo

Tattoo