May 06, 2024, 09:15:03 AM

News:

Oil filter removal

Started by Jim Bronson, April 04, 2020, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXDBI

Overtighten a cold filter on a hot engine its going to be tougher to remove when the engine is hot.  :soda:  Bob

HogMike

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on April 06, 2020, 02:50:38 AM
Quote from: smoserx1 on April 05, 2020, 01:19:58 PM
This is what I use on my twin cam:

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-70-715-Bi-Directional-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000KKLK1I

However mine is very old and is very well made.  I have read the current ones are not so good.  Don't know, but the design makes the wrench bite into the filter as it turns and the wrench clears the crank position sensor.

That's what I have but mine's so old it was made in the US.   I also relocated the filter under the left passenger floorboard on my 12 Ultra EG and never regretted it.    IMHO the nut on the KN is usually useless.

[attach=0,msg1340900]

Yeah, got one of those in my "collection " also.
People have been giving me these for years and I can't throw them away!
:smiled: :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

smoserx1

I'd say you got just about everything covered there.

kd

Nope, no ratchet and socket for the K&N.   :teeth:
KD

HogMike

Quote from: kd on April 06, 2020, 06:42:58 PM
Nope, no ratchet and socket for the K&N.   :teeth:

Those are in my other roll around
Make sure you use the 6 pt socket, not the 12 pt! :potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Jim Bronson

^^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^^^
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

jmorton10

I just use a FLO aluminum housing filter, they have a nut that no socket will slip on.

I always do it myself so it is never over tightened.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

bump

I have a filter wrench that is a piece of 1/2" square tubing with a strap like a strap wrench but smaller. You put a 1/2" extension on it turn it with a ratchet.  It works the best for me. I always put a coat of oil on seal and only tighten it by hand.

smoserx1

QuoteI always put a coat of oil on seal and only tighten it by hand.
:agree:

Words of wisdom if I ever heard any!

Bagger

Quote from: kd on April 06, 2020, 05:36:01 AM
76, so many poo poo the remote filter option.  That is until they do it and the wonder why they didn't do it sooner.   :missed:  I am one so I know.  :up:

I use this one by 3 Guyz.  Oil filter is relocated to the left front down tube.http://www.3guyz.com/vtwin-motorcycles-topmenu#!/Oil-Filter-Relocation-Kit/p/13913127/category=1575036

Hossamania

I can't get my hand in there for decent leverage, so I use the wrench to tighten it at least a half a turn, maybe more, lubed gasket. They come off with effort, but they come off. I've seen two filters come loose on other bikes, mine will not.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

sharkoilfield

If the subject has the word "oil" in it, there's bound to be discussion on Tech Talk
I've been using the K&N with the 17mm nut and a quality 6 point socket since we got our bikes.
Works great.  I like my Form-A Funnel under the filter for the drips.
I can't recall having a dealer oil change but the complaint of overtightening stuff seems common

freddie_ray

Use that 3-jaw one that JohnnyCashPan posted. I had to get one from Manny,Moe and Jack whin my dealer did a oil change. Oh get that filter loose before draining the pan, ask me how I know..  :baby:

freddie_ray